FA Cup 2022/23

Unpopular opinion I know, but Brighton are nothing special are they?

The level of fuss made about them is way over the top. They've got a couple of decent players but every time I watch them, I think that they're very average.

The fact that they are doing well says more about how shite the PL is than anything they're doing. Also, see Brentford.

The level of fuss made about them is way over the top. They've got a couple of decent players but every time I watch them, I think that they're very average.

The fact that they are doing well says more about how shite the PL is than anything they're doing. Also, see Brentford.
Is there any team you don’t think are shit?

Is there any team you don’t think are shit?

Very good question that has made me properly think.

You know what, no I cannot think of one side that isn't shit this season. Every single one are piss poor. The standard of football this year is terrible.

I've not seen one side come to the KP this year and do anything. I've not watched any game on TV and thought that a side were anything special.

There has been a lot of fuss spouted about the likes of Man City, Arsenal, Brighton, and so on. But they're weak as **** really. I've not seen one defence worth a shite.

Football is shit.

Yes, it is an unusual perspective. I think it's a call to one's own idea of perfection. I sort of get it but I personally don't know what my perfect team would play like, given the various styles on offer. A team may not be your own idea of special (ask Brendan Rodgers about that one) but they do what they do well enough to get results, and I guess that's how it's measured when it comes to dishing out trophies and prize money.

Fwiw, the few times I've seen Brighton (not against us) I've thought they looked pretty slick. A game against Newcastle, I think, had me impressed.

Spurs are 5th. Liverpool are 7th. Both teams are laughed at for being shit this season yet are nowhere near as low as you'd expect given their current shitness. When we were finishing 5th we were told we were punching above our weight, no one could name a team 6th and lower who were actually decent though.....the standard is fairly bollocks and everyone loves conceding goals by taking goal kicks that never leave the penalty area until they've conceded.

Not a team in the league that is amazing every single week - but Man City and Arsenal have both been absolutely outstanding in lots of games, bang average in one or two others. Premier League is like this most seasons. I’ve seen Villa and Newcastle be pretty special on a couple of occasions

Brighton are a solid seven out of ten every single week - and in patches eight or very occasionally nine

To call them all ‘shit’ is just pretty plain stupid, really

Yes, it is an unusual perspective. I think it's a call to one's own idea of perfection. I sort of get it but I personally don't know what my perfect team would play like, given the various styles on offer. A team may not be your own idea of special (ask Brendan Rodgers about that one) but they do what they do well enough to get results, and I guess that's how it's measured when it comes to dishing out trophies and prize money.

Fwiw, the few times I've seen Brighton (not against us) I've thought they looked pretty slick. A game against Newcastle, I think, had me impressed.

It's not about seeking perfection at all. I can just see the flaws in everyone.

Take Man City (as pop mentions them). Their keeper has been little better than Ward this season. He's a right duffer. Defensively, they are all over the place. They have a fouling maching protecting their defence (Rodri) who is excellent at cheating. But every team seems to allow themselves to be dominated by their possession game. Because nobody is equipped to do anything differently, as all teams play 'plastic pep' football, it's almost impossible to stop. If you switch play qquickly enough and miss the midfield out, you can batter them. Nobody does it though.

As I've said before, I blame the standard of coaching which is the worst ever. So many charlatans making a killing.

I've not seen one defence worth a shite
I think that gets us nearer to what's being said. In the vogue of the high press, and committing forward, defending has taken a step back. The best defence is a good offence, as is said somewhere.

I was musing only this morning how even my local women's team follow the trend and push the opposition back, compress the game, 2 defenders on the half way line, and crowd out and.hassle the opposition. They conceded to a simple long ball break away to go 1 down but kept on with the high press (indeed, had effectively only a sweeper at times) and ended up winning 4-1.

Defending is seemingly not a priority in that game plan.

Well, that’s a shame after all that.

At least we all know not to watch a shitty final that pundits will somehow think is the most exciting one in history.

Does kind of drill home what a massive achievement it was for us to win the FA Cup and what a whirlwind few years it has been. Premier League and even the Community Shield too. You need something more than just to be a great side to claim the silverware off the big boys and Brighton are a great side at the minute.

It's not about seeking perfection at all. I can just see the flaws in everyone.
Not perfection in a universal sense, just the individual's idea of it. That is, how they like the game to be played, how they want to see it played. You value defence, Pep seemingly doesn't see a need to commit players to it; different ideas of how the game is to be played.

I'm not sure it's as easy to rob Man City of possession as you suggest. Sure, they make mistakes sometimes, and it costs them, and it looks easy to score against them, but that doesn't make them easy to beat. Man City tend to have a helluva lot of possession for seemingly few goals (is there a possession to goals stat?) Obviously the belief is something like not needing to defend if they don't let the opposition have the ball.

I think what makes a team look special to someone is a matter of how that team conforms to how the individual likes to see the game played.

A few seasons back, I had a begrudging respect for WHam because I liked the effectiveness of their brand of football. They could turn us over at will and we didn't have an answer, for all our would-be nice build up possession football.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4490
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363
9Middlesbro4463
10Preston 4463