Pre Match FA Cup R3 Stoke v Leicester

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would it have been better to **** off the FA cup completely and have a go with the league cup? It would probably have been a good year to have a go since the semi finals will only be one leg this year.

There were concerns apparently about how deep into the squad the tests would go as well - would under 23s etc be tested. I just wouldn't bother. We seem to have escaped it so far, and the last thing we need is it derailing because of Stoke
Apparently it's right to the back of the throat. Just far enough to bring about a gag reflex. Or as my wife would say, 'in your dreams'.

Rest everyone.

I'd love us to win the FA Cup, but this year - with the injuries we've already been contesting, no fans in stadiums for the rest of the season in all likelihood now, our priorities in the League and EL, and COVID cases increasing across the country/league meaning a likely increase in postponed games and more fixture congestion around that - means that this is not the year to be wanting a good cup run.

I think Brenda's recent talk of our priority being European qualification again for next season though means we will put out a rested/rotated team, but not completely leave out all first teamers entirely to try and bin it off early. Instead we will try to middle our way through the first few rounds and then take it seriously if we get to the QFs.

I think we should just put out some kids and quietly go out.

Before you all want to lynch me hear me out.
Spuds and both Mank clubs are still playing in the league Cup all the teams around us are in the F. A cup also some of our competitors for the top 4 are still playing European football.
Now with Covid and the ridiculous decision to play the postponed euros whatever happens in June their will be teams that play 3 games a week just to finish the season, in essence it will be impossible to field the strongest teams in every game so points will be dropped.

We are almost back to a fully fit squad so if we can keep Covid free and bin the F. A cup it will leave us with a good crack at finishing in the top 4 whilst also going as far as we can in Europe.

This season for fans has been "dog shit" so how amazing would it be if we can return to the King Power next season playing champions league football, I would much rather that than watching us play Man C in the F. A cup final on t.v and then finish the league in 7th place.

Doing a Bielsa special and looking at the training video for an indication of the team for Stoke.

Notable absentees (as far as I could see) - Under, Ricardo, Morgan, Maddison and Vardy. If they are not training today, it's unlikely that they'll be involved. We know all have been carrying knocks.

Everyone else appears to be there so nobody (else) seems to have been given some extended rest with only an FA Cup match in the two weeks between PL games.

I honestly think we should send our U-23's at best, especially with what we are seeing at clubs with the COVID situation.

This competition should be scrapped this year.
players like Soyuncu need football but if we did send the U23s I wouldn't care

There is one factor that I'd not considered when it comes to resting players.

If they are training, they are contained in a pretty safe environment re COVID. I guess if they are given time off, there is a possibility that they will be in contact with different people.

At least, if everyone is at the training ground, and those that want to can stay there, then we can contain the virus outbreaks better than most.

If they are training, they are contained in a pretty safe environment re COVID. I guess if they are given time off, there is a possibility that they will be in contact with different people.

At least, if everyone is at the training ground, and those that want to can stay there, then we can contain the virus outbreaks better than most.
you could still have them doing light training and prepping for the next league game, you don't have to give them time off just because they aren't going to play in the cup

• Stoke City last faced Leicester City in the FA Cup in the third round in 2013-14, winning 2-1 under Mark Hughes.
  • The last three meetings between Stoke and Leicester at the bet365 Stadium have all ended 2-2, all in Premier League meetings between September 2015 and November 2017.
  • After a run in which they progressed from seven consecutive FA Cup third round ties between 2009-10 and 2015-16, Stoke have been eliminated from their last four third round ties.
  • Leicester have progressed from all five of their FA Cup ties against Championship opposition since they won promotion to the Premier League in 2014.

I would think that's exactly why they're still training, and not being given time off.

It's not like they can go on holiday if they've got time off, and it's much harder to keep them in that safe bubble if they're given a break.

I'm sure the club are very mindful of how other players eg at Man City have not acted responsibly.

I imagine some have been given lighter programmes over the last week, but keep them in, keep them together and protected.

I think what happened to those that have been a bit indiscreet serves notice that the Bosses at the top will not turn a blind eye and will act decisively if someone did anything they considered to be taking it too far.

Referee Tony Harrington
Assistant Referees Shaun Hudson & James Wilson
Fourth Official Peter Wright

In two minds on the football.
They 100% can't work at home and so dictionary definition means they can go into work and to stadium to do their 'work'.
It does however mean they have to behave absolutely to the letter of the law in terms of isolating outside of work. Very much like anyone else who was having to still go to work during previous lockdowns.
Football can't ensure social distancing and proper covid protocols like other employers though. These guys are interacting with each other and in physical contact during training and games.
The only way its acceptable (as it does help raise the spirits of the nation during lockdown) is if covid doesn't rip through squads and endanger their communities and those of wider club staff, and if that in turn doesn't spread covid at their kids schools and to their wider families.
If they can't protect from that, then football should be shut down.

From his comments, it looks like BR is going to play a much stronger line up than expected.

Online suggests the following:

Schmeichel, Justin, Evans, Fofana, Castagne, Ndidi, Tielemans, Praet, Albrighton, Perez, Barnes

Surprising if true.

From his comments, it looks like BR is going to play a much stronger line up than expected.

Online suggests the following:

Schmeichel, Justin, Evans, Fofana, Castagne, Ndidi, Tielemans, Praet, Albrighton, Perez, Barnes

Surprising if true.

That would be absolutely outrageous if true.

Perfect occasion this for the likes of Mendy and Amartey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757