New Contract Five years for Schmeichel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Leicester City Football Club can confirm that goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel has signed a new contract, keeping him at King Power Stadium until June 2023.

The 31-year-old Dane has been a significant figure in Leicester City’s success since joining from Leeds in 2011, having represented the Football Club 298 times in all competitions and establishing himself as one of the Premier League’s best goalkeepers.

Schmeichel has been a key part of the team’s Championship and Premier League title wins in recent years, as well as establishing himself at international level with Denmark. He helped guide them to the last-16 in the summer’s FIFA World Cup in Russia, including three penalty saves in one match against Croatia.

Speaking to LCFC.com, Schmeichel said: “I’m very happy to be here for many more years. I’ve spent the majority of my career at Leicester now and had some amazing times here, so hopefully we’ll have some more. I’ve felt at home at this Club from day one, so I’d like to thank the fans for the support they’ve given me and also the owners who’ve played a huge part in my career. I want to bring more success to this Club as I’ve loved every minute and hopefully we can keep going in the right direction.”

Schmeichel began his career with Manchester City and was handed his Premier League debut in August 2007 after loan spells at Darlington, Bury and Falkirk. He gained further experience with Cardiff City and Coventry, before joining Notts County in 2009.

During his solitary season at Meadow Lane, the 31-year-old provided the foundation for the Magpies’ 2010 League 2 triumph, playing 43 league games and earning a place in the PFA Team of the Year as County were promoted to League 1.

Schmeichel joined Championship side Leeds on a free transfer that summer and made 40 appearances during his only campaign at Elland Road, culminating in his first call-up to the Denmark national team in May 2011, before Leicester secured his services that summer.

His performances in his debut season with the Foxes earned him the Club’s Player of the Year and Players’ Player of the Year awards in 2011/12, along with a call-up to Denmark’s Euro 2012 squad.

Schmeichel’s full debut for Denmark came in a friendly match against Macedonia in February 2013, while his influence for Leicester City also continued to grow. After the disappointment of a play-off semi-final defeat in 2013, Schmeichel’s excellent form and influence helped the team bounce back by winning the Championship title in 2013/14.

His return from injury in the following Premier League campaign coincided with an incredible run to survival – form that continued the following season as Schmeichel kept an incredible 15 clean sheets en route to an historic first Premier League title.

The Dane’s reputation for performing in big moments was underlined in the 2016/17 UEFA Champions League campaign, when he kept four clean sheets in his first four appearances in the competition. He would go on to make crucial penalty saves in each leg of a last-16 tie with Sevilla to earn Leicester City a place in the quarter-finals.

Schmeichel’s continued excellence for the Foxes during the 2017/18 campaign earned him the no.1 shirt for Denmark at the 2018 FIFA World Cup as they reached the last-16 stages before a shootout defeat to eventual finalists Croatia.

Happy with that. People criticise the guy but I believe he is just the type of character you need in a successful side. Good work!

Both J. Vardy & K. Schmeichel signing for basicly the rest of their careers with us is excellent. Two of thee most important players we have. Part of the team, squad, club. Not perfect every week but they both WORK for Leicester City.

Great news.

I suppose this puts him on the same 'Mr Leicester City' platform as some of the O'Neil era platers.

We'll only know once he's finished playing

I suppose this puts him on the same 'Mr Leicester City' platform as some of the O'Neil era platers.

We'll only know once he's finished playing

Very true! If he stays for the length of that contract he'd have been here for 12 years! That's some going, particularly in the modern game.

Great keeper. Great long term contract. Goalkeepers that are good aren’t that common, and Schmeichel is worth his weight in gold

If he was perfect, he’d already be at Real.

In another Universe we have a differing opinion.
  • 42. Posted byBlueStig
    on45 minutes ago
    @41 Son of a Pitch

Just nowhere near as good a goalkeeper as his Dad. League 1 standard at best.
    -----------------

And you're just an embarrassment to your dad
38. Posted byimmortal dabbing technique
on31 Aug 2018 23:35
sadley a very pour player,,,,,, the only reason he has played in the premier-ship is becaue his father was a top-class 'keeper,,,,, should go back to notts countey!!

. Posted byThats Right Im A Surgeon
on31 Aug 2018 20:00
Why do people whose dad's are better than them even bother? Oh that's right, because he plays for a pub team and loves beer. What an addict.

:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

And this guy seems to have a beef about Kasper.

13. Posted bySon of a Pitch
on31 Aug 2018 20:03
Big mistake offering him a contract. Most overrated keeper in the land, living off his dad’s reputation.

Never thought I’d ever say this but I think Joe Hart is better!

He's been with us for seven seasons now.

He replaced Chris Weale as our number one keeper. How times have changed. Weale retired from playing in the summer after a season as Dorchester Town's keeper. He's only four years older than Schmeichel.

What about Ricardo? Or Logan. Or Stockdale. Or Warner. Or Martin. Or Pentney. Or Henderson. Or Alnwick. Or Neilson. Or Douglas. Or Hirchfeld. Or Fulop. Or Walker. Or Pressman.

All the above (and maybe more) had a go in the seven seasons before Schmeichel joined us. At least fifteen of 'em.

Schmeichel and Vardy have made us forget how shit it is to have poor keepers and strikers.

Cherish them while they are here and still delivering the goods.

BN is missing a few: Ikeme, Taylor, Bunn, Kirkland.

Bunn and Fülöp were solid enough in their short spells, and Walker didn’t do too badly in the promotion season, but certainly none of them was ever Schmeichel standard.

What about Ricardo? Or Logan. Or Stockdale. Or Warner. Or Martin. Or Pentney. Or Henderson. Or Alnwick. Or Neilson. Or Douglas. Or Hirchfeld. Or Fulop. Or Walker. Or Pressman.

Stop it! NOW! You're making me dizzy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758