Football pundits, who do you like / dislike?

Status
Not open for further replies.

barnacle

Likes.
Paul Merson - Sky, very honest, such a larf and talks like a bloke in a pub.
Chris Sutton - BT, quite sarcastic, funny, honest.
Alvin Martin - Talksport, just says it how it is, doesn't frath about and comes across very honest.
Ian Wright - BBC funny, honest and shows he cares about the game.
Gary Neville - Sky you get the feeling he's telling you something you need to know.
Robbie Savage - BT can be a larf, is quite knowledgeable

Dislikes.
Danny Murphy - BBC/Talksport dull, speaks as if the others aren't as clever, such a drag.
Martin Keown - BBC/Talksport no enthusiasm, boring, try's to be technical but it doesn't work.
Clinton Morrison - Sky he's funny but he talks way too much, rambles so quick and doesn't finish a sentence, I forget what the question is lol
Women - All Channels, I just don't get the feeling they know what they're talking about. To be a football pundit you have to have played the game to some decent level, it's embarrassing as much for them as it is for the viewer. They do have enough enthusiasm though, some of that seems put-on.

They’re all ****s nowadays.

Apart from Roy Keane. He’s funny.

I'm indifferent to the lot of them. If I have to listen to them it means I'm not at the match. I'd rather be at the match.

Alex Scott.

Woof.

Women - All Channels, I just don't get the feeling they know what they're talking about. To be a football pundit you have to have played the game to some decent level, it's embarrassing as much for them as it is for the viewer. They do have enough enthusiasm though, some of that seems put-on.
anyone would think they don’t have ironing to do, amirite?

Sav, Merson, Chris ****ing Sutton... Is this post a wind-up?

Our Gary
Shearer
Wright

The rest are ****ing useless

Welcome to 1972

Looking forward to Til Death Us Do Part on telly tonight - “you silly moo”.. love that show, especially when he talks about the darkies

Over here on NBCSN we have the Robbies Mustoe and Earle, Danny Higginbotham and Tim Howard. Mustoe and Earle are quite likeable but tend to be a bit "go with the flow," Higginbotham is a "big six" bloke. Tim Howard seems to have some pretty good knowledge and explains it in a calm interesting way. I might be biased as he called Leicester winning the PL in late January 2016 during a post match interview after one of Everton's games.

I was disappointed when Higginbotham moved over there as I thought he had some interesting points to make.

I like Neville and Carragher, also Souness. I also like Wright, Keane and Sutton. What they all have in common is a strong and informed opinion, whether I agree with it or not.

Of the new generation that have appeared over the last couple of years, Karen Carney is the one I've got most time for. She has an opinion and it is backed up and not 'put on'. I don't think much of Alex Scott as she's a presenter not a pundit (in my opinion).

Most women pundits are poor. As with every type of positive discrimination, the problem initially is quality. They have the job because of who they are, not how good at the job they are. Some of the women employed by BT make me dive for the mute button.

I can't make up my mind about Micah Richards. His relentless 'put on' laugh at anything annoys the heck out of me but he is actually a good pundit.

The ones I cannot bring myself to have an opinion about include Jenas, Shearer and Dublin.

On my personal 'cannot stand 'em' list are: Savage, Redknapp (jnr), Keown, Murphy, Alan Smith, and worst of the lot Garth Crooks.

I was disappointed when Higginbotham moved over there as I thought he had some interesting points to make.

I like Neville and Carragher, also Souness. I also like Wright, Keane and Sutton. What they all have in common is a strong and informed opinion, whether I agree with it or not.

Of the new generation that have appeared over the last couple of years, Karen Carney is the one I've got most time for. She has an opinion and it is backed up and not 'put on'. I don't think much of Alex Scott as she's a presenter not a pundit (in my opinion).

Most women pundits are poor. As with every type of positive discrimination, the problem initially is quality. They have the job because of who they are, not how good at the job they are. Some of the women employed by BT make me dive for the mute button.

I can't make up my mind about Micah Richards. His relentless 'put on' laugh at anything annoys the heck out of me but he is actually a good pundit.

The ones I cannot bring myself to have an opinion about include Jenas, Shearer and Dublin.

On my personal 'cannot stand 'em' list are: Savage, Redknapp (jnr), Keown, Murphy, Alan Smith, and worst of the lot Garth Crooks.

I like Higginbotham. Kyle Martino was very good but has moved on.

Arlo is superb as a commentator.

I think NBC have done a fine job.

...Kyle Martino was very good but has moved on.
Yes always liked him. When the PL coverage was on Fox I always liked Eric Wynalda, he could be a bit arrogant but he was honest and didn't mind putting peoples noses out of joint.

Arlo is superb as a commentator.
You might disagree but I think Le Saux and Dixon are really good with him. They tell you things about the game that are going on in other parts of the pitch not just in the area the ball is in.

Over here on NBCSN we have the Robbies Mustoe and Earle, Danny Higginbotham and Tim Howard. Mustoe and Earle are quite likeable but tend to be a bit "go with the flow," Higginbotham is a "big six" bloke. Tim Howard seems to have some pretty good knowledge and explains it in a calm interesting way. I might be biased as he called Leicester winning the PL in late January 2016 during a post match interview after one of Everton's games.
Higgy is a good analyst, used to do sky sports news on a friday, very tactical minded and easy to understand.

Karen is about as good as they get and you're right, they are there to tick a box. Sue Smith is god damn awful, there is nothing she says that comes from a qualified position, its just things she heard others say thats sounds right, as Scott.
Dublin and Jenas are good. Shearer can be a little wavering. Not keen on Redknapp jnr either but his dad is decent. Smiggy's alright.

Karen is about as good as they get and you're right, they are there to tick a box. Sue Smith is god damn awful, there is nothing she says that comes from a qualified position, its just things she heard others say thats sounds right, as Scott.
Dublin and Jenas are good. Shearer can be a little wavering. Not keen on Redknapp jnr either but his dad is decent. Smiggy's alright.
Sue Smith is one of the most knowledgable people I’ve spoken to in the game. And I’ve met a lot.

They're all shit.

All half time & post match punditry (& interviews) should be by video link from fans of clubs other than the ones taking part in the match. Preferably from pubs when they open again.

I'd watch that.

"Go on then you ****, bullshit us about how you meant that as a shot. It was a cross you jammy bastard. **** off"

They're all shit.

All half time & post match punditry (& interviews) should be by video link from fans of clubs other than the ones taking part in the match. Preferably from pubs when they open again.

I'd watch that.

"Go on then you ****, bullshit us about how you meant that as a shot. It was a cross you jammy bastard. **** off"
Would we be paid the same amount, if so, count me in lol

Yes always liked him. When the PL coverage was on Fox I always liked Eric Wynalda, he could be a bit arrogant but he was honest and didn't mind putting peoples noses out of joint.

You might disagree but I think Le Saux and Dixon are really good with him. They tell you things about the game that are going on in other parts of the pitch not just in the area the ball is in.
Prefer Le Saux, but agree that both are pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4490
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363