Footballer held after fatal crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nottingham Fox

From BBC

A professional footballer has been arrested after two boys were killed in a crash on the M6 in Staffordshire.

The youngsters, aged eight and 10, died after a Toyota Previa people carrier careered down an embankment following a collision with a Range Rover.

Police held the player, who was driving the Range Rover, on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving.

The 37-year-old driver of the Previa was critically injured and a man and two children suffered minor injuries.

The arrested man was not hurt, police said.

The motorway was closed southbound between junctions 16 and 15 following the incident in the early hours of Saturday morning, and reopened at lunchtime.

One boy was pronounced dead at the scene and the other died at the University Hospital of North Staffordshire in Stoke-on-Trent.

It is not known which club the footballer plays for.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Staffordshire Police.

Other reports say the footballer is 25 years old.

Only four 25 year olds in the Plymouth squad. Steve MacLean,Rory Fallon,Marcel Seip and Jermaine Easter.

Add another Luke Mccormick has been arrested.

Last edited:
A professional footballer arrested over a motorway crash which claimed the lives of two young children has been named.
Goalkeeper Luke McCormick is being held on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving, sources say.

Luke McCormickThe 25-year-old, who plays for Championship side Plymouth Argyle, had been driving a black Range Rover and was not hurt.

Police say the boys, aged eight and 10, had been travelling in a silver Toyota Previa people carrier with two other children and two men.

Argyle, in a statement, said: "The club is aware of an incident involving one of our players that occurred on Saturday morning on the M6.

"As the incident is subject to police enquiries, the club feels it would be inappropriate to make any comment at this stage."

Emergency services said the crash happened just before 5.45am on the motorway's southbound carriageway near junction 16 in Staffordshire.

The M6 around junction 16A West Midlands Ambulance Service spokesman said: "On arrival, crews found two cars which had been involved in a collision. One of the cars had left the carriageway."

The people carrier went down and embankment and hit trees.

The spokesman continued: "One child was confirmed dead at the scene. A second was taken on blue lights to the University Hospital of North Staffordshire. Staff at the hospital had been put on alert awaiting the arrival of the child who later died.

"A number of other people have also been taken to hospital."

One man is believed to be in a critical condition.

And your response to post #7 is (if we are picking up on others mistakes)? :icon_wink

You've lost me on this one. You're going to have to help me out.

I was pointing out to Rich B that the name of the footballer involved had already been revealed by PDS earlier. It wasn't a mistake I was pointing out.

Plymouth Argyle goalkeeper Luke McCormick

Plymouth Argyle goalkeeper Luke McCormick I think.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757