Formula 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching the highlights now. Looked very dramatic. Latifi misjudged the restart imo and cars behind him thought they were going as a result.

Those rules are kind of odd aren't they - can understand why Bottas is doing what he is, but it caused absolute chaos didn't it?
Nice to see Albon make it on to the podium. Been a hard start for him

All of this is impossible for a man of my age.

I grew up watching motorsport in the 1970s when it was contested almost entirely by certified nutcases with a death wish & safety regulations were confined to wearing a condom in case the groupies weren't on the pill. & that was mostly ignored.

They'd turn up hungover, or often even still half pissed from the night before's champagne & brandy session, chop out a quick line to clear the head while getting sucked off in the pit lane by a highly suspect Brazilian go-go dancer with a 2ft afro.

Then it's 180mph into a bend & the next thing you see is them hauling themselves from burning wreckage, legging it across the width of the track encased in a halo of burning petrol before being rugby tackled to the ground by 2 track marshalls with a fireproof blanket.

2 months & 4 skin grafts later they're back on the starting grid with their face fixed to their skull with bits of blu tac & extra thick gloves so they can grip the steering wheel without passing out from the pain of the weeping 3rd degree burns on their palms & fingers.

Lewis Hamilton my arse.

Jimmy Hunt would have ****ed his mum & let him watch.

& all of the above on what someone described at the time as " Casually maintained asphalt death traps "

All of this is impossible for a man of my age.

I grew up watching motorsport in the 1970s when it was contested almost entirely by certified nutcases with a death wish & safety regulations were confined to wearing a condom in case the groupies weren't on the pill. & that was mostly ignored.

They'd turn up hungover, or often even still half pissed from the night before's champagne & brandy session, chop out a quick line to clear the head while getting sucked off in the pit lane by a highly suspect Brazilian go-go dancer with a 2ft afro.

Then it's 180mph into a bend & the next thing you see is them hauling themselves from burning wreckage, legging it across the width of the track encased in a halo of burning petrol before being rugby tackled to the ground by 2 track marshalls with a fireproof blanket.

2 months & 4 skin grafts later they're back on the starting grid with their face fixed to their skull with bits of blu tac & extra thick gloves so they can grip the steering wheel without passing out from the pain of the weeping 3rd degree burns on their palms & fingers.

Lewis Hamilton my arse.

Jimmy Hunt would have ****ed his mum & let him watch.

I know this post was in jest but I've raced motorcycles since the mid 70's and I look back now at what passed for safety at most of circuits we raced at right up until the late 80's early 90's and at times I really think I got away very lightly from some of the crashes I had. Things are so much better now than they were but that restart after the safety car was a complete cluster. The powers that be must address that type of situation.

I know this post was in jest but I've raced motorcycles since the mid 70's and I look back now at what passed for safety at most of circuits we raced at right up until the late 80's early 90's and at times I really think I got away very lightly from some of the crashes I had. Things are so much better now than they were but that restart after the safety car was a complete cluster. The powers that be must address that type of situation.

It's basically a societal thing. Nobody was overly concerned with safety in any arena up until the late 90s. Believe me I worked on enough construction & demolition sites to know!
Like all things though it seems to have slipped too far the other way. I know parents who drive themselves to the cusp of madness stressing over what may or may not happen to their kids if they let them do anything.
I don't know about you but my childhood consisted of endless summers of being kicked out of the house at 10am & told to be back for tea.

Of course you couldn't do that nowadays what with the armies of ninja paedos & such.

Not F1 but this from the FIA World Karting final which is where some future stars learn their craft:

Not happy enough with that, he then literally jumps the other guy post race:

Oh, and the chap that runs in to attack the kid again after is the first drivers dad.... Who owns the circuit!

Madness!

This was posted on a bike racing forum over here regarding that incident:

"Having been to a few kart races over the years, this behavior doesn't seem surprising.

Bunch of wealthy dudes thinking their kid is the next Hamilton makes for some pretty garbage personalities and gigantic egos.

Now that I mention it, sounds like the ideal breeding ground for F1...... "

**** me that’s one of the scariest crashes I’ve seen in a long time. How Grosjean got out of that is amazing.

Blimey, a fire and a car seemingly cut in half. That really is two things that we're just not used to seeing in f1

Christ. It’s incredible that he’s walked away from that. What a crash that was. First time I’ve seen a crash with flames in the time I’ve been watching

Heard about this before watching the C4 highlights - still absolutely horrific seeing it even knowing he survived relatively unscathed!

I think that's the closest thing to a miracle I'll ever see. Every law of science/physics says you cannot surrive 137mph impact/53g + being in the middle of an inferno for 30 seconds, let alone being able to free yourself from it and hobble away.

So relieved that wasn't the last time we seen Romain!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3882
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3967
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757