Forum wanted - online and free!

Status
Not open for further replies.

spionfox

I need to set up a forum for a work project, totally private and viewable by subscribers only. There will only ever be about 6 to 10 registered users.

Any thoughts as to the best way to do this?

My hosts, 1and1, don't have anything suitable so am looking elsewhere. I assume if anything exists it will probably be ad-supported.

Thanks.

You could build and host a subscription only website with joomla which is free (if you already have hosting) but maybe a bit over the top.

My hosts, 1and1, don't have anything suitable so am looking elsewhere..

This is surprising. Most hosts usually have a whole range of webapps with auto install scripts set up.
Do you have a link titled 'fantastico' on your control panel page?

Last edited:
This is surprising. Most hosts usually have a whole range of webapps with auto install scripts set up.
Do you have a link titled 'fantastico' on your control panel page?

Links to other Bulgarian supermarket chains but sadly not Fantastico :icon_wink

1and1 used to provide one but the closest thing they have now is a Blog and that is not what I want.

Links to other Bulgarian supermarket chains but sadly not Fantastico :icon_wink

1and1 used to provide one but the closest thing they have now is a Blog and that is not what I want.

Do they give you database access?

You could build and host a subscription only website with joomla which is free (if you already have hosting) but maybe a bit over the top.

I was hoping for something more 'off the shelf' and where somebody else has done the hard work for me :icon_lol:

I was hoping for something more 'off the shelf' and where somebody else has done the hard work for me :icon_lol:

There's a shitload of free forum sites, you just have the tedious task of trying them out and seeing which one best suits your needs

There's a shitload of free forum sites, you just have the tedious task of trying them out and seeing which one best suits your needs

Any recommendations Macky?

Like I said, I was hoping somebody else would have done the work for me :icon_lol:

Not really, but personal recommendation beats experimentation every time. Unless you're a beagle.

Fairy nuff. I don't know much about 1&1 (except that they dont have a very good reputation).

They are fine as long as nothing goes wrong!

Anyway, a very nice person :)icon_wink) has given me a tip on a PM that I am hopeful about.

That's not to imply you aren't nice as well SJN!

Last edited:
If you have basic computing skills, you can get a Siteground site on offer for $10 sometimes, install Joomla for a simple site and then Kunena, a very simple but powerful forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669