Freeview Plus

Status
Not open for further replies.

fcukcov

Im thinking of getting my mum a Freeview plus box for xmas but they are saying there is only a limited number of channels she will get until the 2011 switchover.

She lives in the dash and they are saying she won't even get itv 1, channel 4 or channel 5 through freeview in the immeadiate future.

Does anyone have any experience of freeview? Is this the case or are they just covering their arses and she will actually get most of the channels?

She currently has just a sky box where she has cancelled her subscription and simply gets the free channels however she would get more channels on freeview if they are all avaliable (i.e. dave and the uktv channels are on freeview but not free sky).

Her video recorder has also just gone up the psout hence the reason for getting freeview plus.

Any help would be much appreciated.

She lives in the dash and they are saying she won't even get itv 1, channel 4 or channel 5 through freeview in the immeadiate future.

Does anyone have any experience of freeview? Is this the case or are they just covering their arses and she will actually get most of the channels?

Don't think I used Freeview when I lived in Hinckley, but I'm sure with a decent aerial she should be able to receive all the channels.

The best way to find out would be to borrow a freeview box (or buy a cheap one - they're less than £20) and see what she can get.

Don't think I used Freeview when I lived in Hinckley, but I'm sure with a decent aerial she should be able to receive all the channels.

The best way to find out would be to borrow a freeview box (or buy a cheap one - they're less than £20) and see what she can get.

cheers, may have to see if I can cadge one from someone and try that as you suggest.
Forgot to mention that she has a "shared" aerial with a number of other properties, could this be a problem? She used to be able to get the old OnDigital back in the day before ITV fecked it up.

Last edited:
You don't get all the UKTV channels on Freeview, just Dave and History, and the history one finishes at 6PM.

Don't you get uktvgold? or g.o.l.d or whatever the feck it is nowadays?

EDIT: just had a look and your right. Its the recording side of stuff I want for her more, she pretty much sticks to the main 5 channels anyway.

Last edited:
I've got freeview but tbh apart from occasionally watching ITV2 or More4
I usually only watch the normal channels. Most of the others are crap.

Im thinking of getting my mum a Freeview plus box for xmas but they are saying there is only a limited number of channels she will get until the 2011 switchover.

She currently has just a sky box where she has cancelled her subscription and simply gets the free channels however she would get more channels on freeview if they are all avaliable (i.e. dave and the uktv channels are on freeview but not free sky).

Her video recorder has also just gone up the psout hence the reason for getting freeview plus.

#

My TV picks up 1, 4 and 5 on freeview Leroy.

I've got freeview but tbh apart from occasionally watching ITV2 or More4
I usually only watch the normal channels. Most of the others are crap.

I think this would be the case with my mum but they are saying she won't get ITV 1, Channel 4 or channel 5 for a start off.

#

My TV picks up 1, 4 and 5 on freeview Leroy.

Thats encouraging then! cheers

I've got the Freeview Recorder box and tbh its a pile of total shite!

I'm literally on my 3rd box after the previous 2 just stopped working.

It takes about 10 seconds to delete a 30min prog, which might not sound like much of a problem but when you have 60 hours of recording time it takes the piss!

Also I would advise against giving your details to top up tv for your 'free' one month trial as they charged me £30 for one months viewing - more expensive than sky! And this was despite me telling them that I had no intention of ever paying for it I just wanted the free month.

Anyway my advise is - stay clear of the Thompson Freeview Box Recorder!!

Same for me mate, as Jeff said a decent aerial should to the job for you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670