Gambling Addiction - Free Bets Caused Suicide

Status
Not open for further replies.

camberwell fox

Hi,

Just read this and watched the video posted by the widow.

Very sad story of a guy furloughed who then took free bets and became addicted ending in his death.

There’s a petition if anyone wants to sign it…

Last edited by a moderator:
What an awful waste. That poor man. What courage from his widow. I've signed the petition.

I post on here about betting. My ups and downs appear to amuse some of you.

I wouldn't dream of spending serious money on gambling. It's purely a bit of fun for me. I only really bet on City and only when I think I might have better knowledge than the odds that are set. It may come as a shock, but I can't remember the last time I deposited money into my betting account, I tend to just use winnings as a kitty.

It's clear that some people find gambling difficult and it can be dangerous. Therefore, I wonder now whether it's wrong to post about gambling in a jokey way?

However, I then consider drinking. I gave up alcohol a few years ago after seeing too many people in my world either die because of it or have their lives ruined. From time to time, people post on here about their drinking excesses and part of me dislikes it. However, I recognise that most people haven't had the same experiences that I have so they don't connect it in the same way. I have to get over myself.

We can pretend that Leicester aren't sponsored by a betting company but I think that's nonsense. FBS are just a middle class betting company. We also have a 'betting partner' and a beer company on our sleeve. It's complicated.

Is a free bet email any different to a free beer outside the ground? Not to me. Both have the potential to kill if the wrong person takes advantage. That's what I thought when I battered my way through thousands of fans hanging around outside the KP last Saturday drinking their free beers. For most people it's harmless but, for some, it's incredibly dangerous.

Not sure if any of this makes sense but it's where my head is at after reading this story.

What an awful waste. That poor man. What courage from his widow. I've signed the petition.

I post on here about betting. My ups and downs appear to amuse some of you.

I wouldn't dream of spending serious money on gambling. It's purely a bit of fun for me. I only really bet on City and only when I think I might have better knowledge than the odds that are set. It may come as a shock, but I can't remember the last time I deposited money into my betting account, I tend to just use winnings as a kitty.

It's clear that some people find gambling difficult and it can be dangerous. Therefore, I wonder now whether it's wrong to post about gambling in a jokey way?

However, I then consider drinking. I gave up alcohol a few years ago after seeing too many people in my world either die because of it or have their lives ruined. From time to time, people post on here about their drinking excesses and part of me dislikes it. However, I recognise that most people haven't had the same experiences that I have so they don't connect it in the same way. I have to get over myself.

We can pretend that Leicester aren't sponsored by a betting company but I think that's nonsense. FBS are just a middle class betting company. We also have a 'betting partner' and a beer company on our sleeve. It's complicated.

Is a free bet email any different to a free beer outside the ground? Not to me. Both have the potential to kill if the wrong person takes advantage. That's what I thought when I battered my way through thousands of fans hanging around outside the KP last Saturday drinking their free beers. For most people it's harmless but, for some, it's incredibly dangerous.

Not sure if any of this makes sense but it's where my head is at after reading this story.

There's a lot of sense here.

For me personally, free bets are what take the risk out of my gambling. Rather see gambling banned in its entirety if we go down that route. What I do think needs to change is free bets/bonuses been given to those losing large sums whereas if you're up vs the bookies you get excluded from promotions after a time....

I had the same thought about the free beers too. I suppose it's all about what's socially accepted.

I signed this the other day. The hypocrisy that surrounds stations like TalkSport is infuriating. Bleating on about gambling when it's fun, stop when it stops being fun etc, and then having every show sponsored by a bookie.

Nobody says to alcoholics "when you've had enough, stop drinking", the advice is a blanket ban. Why, with gambling, are addicts encouraged to bet until it stops being fun? It needs to go the same way as alcohol and cigarette advertising, especially during the day.

I think the problem is as BN stated, for most people, a drink, a drug, a bet and so on are harmless and under control, but to a small % of people who carry an ‘addictive gene’ these things can be disastrous.

You obviously can’t ban any off the above effectively but should gambling be advertised - particularly free bets as a hook, during sporting events?

It feels wrong but, of course I’m certain there are many people out there (me included) who can have an occasional flutter and not go, chasing their inevitable losses.

A very complicated and emotive subject I believe.

I think the problem is as BN stated, for most people, a drink, a drug, a bet and so on are harmless and under control, but to a small % of people who carry an ‘addictive gene’ these things can be disastrous.

You obviously can’t ban any off the above effectively but should gambling be advertised - particularly free bets as a hook, during sporting events?

It feels wrong but, of course I’m certain there are many people out there (me included) who can have an occasional flutter and not go, chasing their inevitable losses.

A very complicated and emotive subject I believe.
But there are many people who can have a drink without spiralling, but there are tight regulations about advertising it, including teams not being sponsored by alcohol companies (I think?). There needs to be together restrictions. It's not so much free bets etc via email, I don't think.

If you are gambling sensibly, you probably don't need adverts every 15 minutes telling you where else you can do so. You can probably research it yourself.

If you have a problem with gambling, then the constant bombardment must be agony to resist.

I signed this the other day. The hypocrisy that surrounds stations like TalkSport is infuriating. Bleating on about gambling when it's fun, stop when it stops being fun etc, and then having every show sponsored by a bookie.

Nobody says to alcoholics "when you've had enough, stop drinking", the advice is a blanket ban. Why, with gambling, are addicts encouraged to bet until it stops being fun? It needs to go the same way as alcohol and cigarette advertising, especially during the day.

Talksport is a channel totally made up of gambling ads. Even at half time in games they speak to betfair or paddy power about the latest odds....then head to an ad break of more gambling ads. Totally agree with banning that shit.

Talksport is a channel totally made up of gambling ads. Even at half time in games they speak to betfair or paddy power about the latest odds....then head to an ad break of more gambling ads. Totally agree with banning that shit.
Yep, and then try and make out like they want people to gamble responsibly. If everyone gambled responsibly, most bookies would go bust.

I have never placed a bet on anything. Ever. It’s just never occurred to me. Poor bloke. These things can spiral out of all control I’m sure. I can see how it could start out fun but then you lose a bit, and if your personality is an addictive one I can see how that might turn into a situation where you can’t help chasing that loss.

I echo BN too. I have seen lives wrecked by alcohol, although not a big drinker (I actually stopped this year for around 6 months) my childhood was affected by a big drinker. It’s a curse when a drink is in the hands of an addict.

But there are many people who can have a drink without spiralling, but there are tight regulations about advertising it, including teams not being sponsored by alcohol companies (I think?).

I think I'm right in saying that there are no rules preventing alcohol advertising on shirts. After all, Leicester advertise a beer company on our sleeve.

Most clubs seem not to advertise alcohol so prominently any more. But there remains a lot of alcohol advertising in and around grounds.

In the 90s, football shirts in the PL were sponsored by beer companies just like they are now by betting companies.

I think I'm right in saying that there are no rules preventing alcohol advertising on shirts. After all, Leicester advertise a beer company on our sleeve.

Most clubs seem not to advertise alcohol so prominently any more. But there remains a lot of alcohol advertising in and around grounds.

In the 90s, football shirts in the PL were sponsored by beer companies just like they are now by betting companies.
That's where I thought the ban came from, after the influx in the 90s. Maybe it's a conscious decision rather than a legal thing, then. I thought that's why it was no longer a sponsor of the Prem or League Cup? I don't really have an issue with shirt sponsors for either, to be fair. It's nowhere near as in your face as TV and radio adverts. I think I'm correct in saying that alcohol can't be advertised on TV during shows that children are likely to be watching, which is most daytime TV. Yet gambling can be, and is hammered during sports events on TV.

That's where I thought the ban came from, after the influx in the 90s. Maybe it's a conscious decision rather than a legal thing, then. I thought that's why it was no longer a sponsor of the Prem or League Cup? I don't really have an issue with shirt sponsors for either, to be fair. It's nowhere near as in your face as TV and radio adverts. I think I'm correct in saying that alcohol can't be advertised on TV during shows that children are likely to be watching, which is most daytime TV. Yet gambling can be, and is hammered during sports events on TV.

I remember in 90s/early 00s that alcohol sponsors weren't on shirts for European games. Newcastle and Liverpool had different shirts during those games. Not sure if it was alcohol sponsorship being banned or ones that werent the official tournament sponsors.

The strict rules on alcohol advertising causes bother for when it's appropriate and not in breach of standards. Are kids tops ok? Is sponsorship for a football in the community ok? And so on......by the time they're finished there'd not be much exposure for the brand.

This has just been on ITV news so hopefully it gets more traction.

For those that have an Athletic subscription this article, despite being a couple of years old, is worth a read, especially if you’ve ever wondered why there are loads of pitchside ads all in Chinese.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757