Speculation Games to go behind closed doors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox Fan

According to the Times this morning, this weekend's matches will be moved behind closed doors once the country has 500 confirmed Coronavirus cases - which will be today.

Fans with tickets will be able to live stream the matches (not like we can't do that for every match anyway). No mention of refunds on season tickets, but imagine it would be club specific.

Article (behind paywall) here https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/9d3d184a-63e6-11ea-941d-5e53d1217ea3

I think it's a good step. Not taking it seriously enough early enough IMO. Have they not seen Outbreak or Jurassic Park. Listen to the scientists at the start!

As posted previously, Hoping we are not going to see matches played behind closed doors, but this looks a real possibility, given recent decisions.
Hopefully we will be arranging a few matches at the King Power in preparation for what must be a strange experience. How about Cov or Forest!

It's ****ing idiotic.

Football is not football in an empty stadium. And as soon as a player from one team gets it, which can only be a matter of days, the whole idea collapses.

The only sensible approach is to suspend matches and wait.

I'm guessing there are conversations with 'what if' scenarios involving an early close to the season; teams finishing in the position they currently are (perhaps with a points adjustment for games in hand)

It'd be far from ideal, and there'd be howls of protest from some parties, but it's not a possibility that could be ruled out. As I say, I'm sure thoughts have turned that way and tentative conversations have been had, even if no formal discussions have been tabled (understandable at this stage)

Interesting to see what the change in dynamic would be if the next 2 or 3 games go behind closed doors. Would small clubs facing relegation not get the boost of a partisan home crowd? Would teams be less overawed by an empty old trafford or Etihad than one full of Manc fans?
Will we see more objective penalty and VAR decisions when the ref isnt subjected to howls of protest and derision for his decisions?

Will we see more objective penalty and VAR decisions when the ref isnt subjected to howls of protest and derision for his decisions?
There will still be howls from the benches and from the players, and they will be easier to hear than ever before. I wouldn't expect much change from the dismal referee and VAR performances that we have always had to endure.

I think it's the right move for now, at least for this weekend.

I agree with BN though that it isn't the same game without a crowd there, but I think it's worth doing for now. But he's also right that it's not a sustainable model, because players and staff won't be immune from it... And as soon as one gets it, surely the whole team is out?

The Olympiakos/Forest owner got it. Arsenal played them in that time. Arsenal's game against Man City got postponed. Surely that Arsenal team is now on 14 day self isolation?

I think they will get the round of games in this weekend behind closed doors. Possibly next weekend too. But I'd suspect that's about it...

I'm interested to see the games behind closed doors this weekend though!

God knows what they do from there...

Liverpool could lose the title yet. There's a strong argument for this season to be struck off. Although that would also be devastating for us! I think they'll end up taking the standings (at whatever point they get to) as final so Liverpool still win the league given they are so far ahead and European places still qualify because they'll need to fill those comps for next season. But you can't relegate teams based on a short season when they've not all played everyone twice.

Unless they cancel the Euros and let the season extend into the summer, which I also can't see happening, then they're going to have to find a way to end the season without playing all the games.

Games should be postponed.
Agreed. They might as well take the decision now to postpone Euros 2020 and allow the domestic seasons to complete.

I think it's the right move for now, at least for this weekend.

I agree with BN though that it isn't the same game without a crowd there, but I think it's worth doing for now. But he's also right that it's not a sustainable model, because players and staff won't be immune from it... And as soon as one gets it, surely the whole team is out?

The Olympiakos/Forest owner got it. Arsenal played them in that time. Arsenal's game against Man City got postponed. Surely that Arsenal team is now on 14 day self isolation?

I think they will get the round of games in this weekend behind closed doors. Possibly next weekend too. But I'd suspect that's about it...

I'm interested to see the games behind closed doors this weekend though!

God knows what they do from there...

Liverpool could lose the title yet. There's a strong argument for this season to be struck off. Although that would also be devastating for us! I think they'll end up taking the standings (at whatever point they get to) as final so Liverpool still win the league given they are so far ahead and European places still qualify because they'll need to fill those comps for next season. But you can't relegate teams based on a short season when they've not all played everyone twice.

Unless they cancel the Euros and let the season extend into the summer, which I also can't see happening, then they're going to have to find a way to end the season without playing all the games.

Could they cancel the play offs, promote two teams and play with an expanded league of 22 for next season with no one relegated this year.

Perhaps throughout Europe, games will now be postponed indefinitely and then the whole season will be declared null and void, as if it never happened.

So Liverpool won't win the league, no club will be relegated or promoted etc. The FA Cup will not be contested.

Perhaps throughout Europe, games will now be postponed indefinitely and then the whole season will be declared null and void, as if it never happened.

So Liverpool won't win the league, no club will be relegated or promoted etc. The FA Cup will not be contested.
But we still qualify for next season's Champions League, yes?

I'm all ready to laugh if this somehow robs Liverpool of the title they've waited so long for... But if we lose our CL place as a result of this...

Need good results over the next few weeks to make sure we're still in the top 4 if the season does end early

I’d almost be willing to give up our Champions League place if it meant Liverpool not winning it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757