Gardeners World

Status
Not open for further replies.

SJN-Fox

I know there are a few budding gardeners on here so I just thought I'd pick your brains, besides, it's international break time so it's slow on here.

Anyway, I discovered this plant whilst doing some tidying up in the garden over the weekend. I have no idea what it is, or where it came from. Does anyone know what it is? Is it a weed? Is it worth keeping?

(In order to preempt some of the more obvious answers, I know it's a plant and that it came from the ground).

2012-10-13 13.48.14.jpg

Can you smoke the leaves in any way?

Looks sort of familiar, my guess would be one of the euphorbia family. The bracht at the top of the plant looks like it should flower at some point or has gone over. Leave it a year and see what happens. If it doesn't do much or it spreads it might be a weed.
You could also try smoking some of the leaves and see what happens:icon_bigg

Looks sort of familiar, my guess would be one of the euphorbia family. The bracht at the top of the plant looks like it should flower at some point or has gone over. Leave it a year and see what happens. If it doesn't do much or it spreads it might be a weed.
You could also try smoking some of the leaves and see what happens:icon_bigg

Looks like euphorbia griffithii or mellifera or possibly another type. If so cut it back before it gets frosty. Oh, and don't smoke the leaves.

There's no such thing as a "weed", there's just plants. Plants you do like and plants you don't like, nothing more.

Exactly. My garden is full of "weeds" and they've flowered better and longer than any other bought plants.

It's quite an striking plant. If you like it keep it, but in a few years time it'll be the only thing present in the garden. I cleared it from a friend's house this summer. It was 5ft+ high. If you decide to remove it wear goggles, gloves and a face mask.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Bournemouth00
2Arsenal00
3Aston Villa00
4Brentford00
5Brighton00
6Chelsea00
7Palace00
8Everton00