Good places in Wales for a holiday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt_B

I am thinking of taking the wife to Wales for her birthday in May for a Friday/Saturday two night stay. I am looking for somewhere coastal with some nice views and walks, not bothered about night life (pubs and restaurants are needed) and would prefer non clubby, so no Cardiff.

Where would you welshites recommend? She will be 7 months pregnant by then so might need to be born in mind.

Cheers!

I am thinking of taking the wife to Wales for her birthday in May for a Friday/Saturday two night stay. I am looking for somewhere coastal with some nice views and walks, not bothered about night life (pubs and restaurants are needed) and would prefer non clubby, so no Cardiff.

Where would you welshites recommend? She will be 7 months pregnant by then so might need to be born in mind.

Cheers!
Took the wife here last Valentines day. Still dining on the brownie points........

http://maes-yr-haf.com/

edit: forgot to mention that Zeta Jones has stayed there a few time apparently.

Last edited:

Cheers!

Don't listen to the Welshies, they'll tell you to go to Newport.

The Gower Peninsula is nice on the south coast near Swansea.
But my favourite part of Wales is on the West coast from Barmouth up and around the coast to Porthmadog. Good beaches, close to Snowdonia, with the usual Welsh things like castles and steam trains close by, plus Portmeirion if you like that kind of thing.

She will be 7 months pregnant by then so might need to be born in mind.

Cheers!

As long as she isn't early and your offspring gets born in Wales. Crikey - what a tragedy that would be!

Also try here.......

http://www.stackpoleinn.co.uk/home.html

Lovely walk through the lily ponds. Or St Govans Chapel in the cliffs to the Green Bridge via Stack Rocks.

Jeff is right too. Stayed in Porthmadog last year and the scenery is breath taking. North Walians are an acquired taste though.:icon_wink

Tenby is supposed to be good

Tenby's good for a seaside resort as its not OTT but there's two bays in terms of coastline. Saundersfoot's nice, good coastline and lot of Welshies go there for a weekend. Haverfordwest is nice too although no beach. Have a look on my FB account there's pics where I went for the week.

Cardigan Bay is supposed to be beautiful. I think Han's been nearby.

The brilliance is most coastline from Gower onwards is untouched. From South to West to North.

Last edited:
Cardigan Bay is supposed to be beautiful. I think Han's been nearby.

True dat.

We stayed in a little village between aberaeron and cardigan. There are plenty of walks around there, particularly along the coast or around the Teifi (?) that are very scenic without being too strenuous. There are lots of little beaches too, that weren't too crowded, even in the middle of august.

A lot of money has been invested in joining up all of the coastline walking routes if I remember rightly.

Highly recommended, especially if you're taking your camera.

St Davids ... Had a couple of cracking weekends there.

True dat.

We stayed in a little village between aberaeron and cardigan. There are plenty of walks around there, particularly along the coast or around the Teifi (?) that are very scenic without being too strenuous. There are lots of little beaches too, that weren't too crowded, even in the middle of august.

A lot of money has been invested in joining up all of the coastline walking routes if I remember rightly.

Highly recommended, especially if you're taking your camera.

You would need to stay in one of the larger villages if you want pubs and restaurants as they are a little sparse in the smaller ones. Aberaeron, New Quay (not that one) and Cardigan are all fairly nice, Aberaeron particularly. There are a several dotted along the coast.

What about North Walians who move to the south?
The worst kind.

As for Tenby, wouldn't recommend it for a weekend. Too many Jack day trippers, hen/stags etc.

Last alternative and a real get away from it all.....

http://www.preseliholidays.co.uk/ramsey.htm

Beautiful views of the reservoir from the patio, walks around Llys y Fran and across the Preselli range (Foel Cwmcerwyn was a nice challenge).

And querky but quality dining in Tafarn Sinc. Shopping in Narbeth scores well too. Try some Pantmawr cheese too.

Too subtle for me.

Yakky dar or however you spell it would have done for me!

Iechyd da! (I think)

Welsh was my first foreign language experience as my gran used to talk to me in it. I never understood more than a few basic phrases though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Liverpool718
2Manchester C  717
3Arsenal717
4Chelsea613
5Aston Villa613
6Newcastle712
7Fulham711
8Tottenham 610
9Brentford710