Gordon Banks. The Passing Of A Legend

Status
Not open for further replies.

SJN-Fox

From the family of Gordon Banks

It is with great sadness that we announce that Gordon passed away peacefully overnight. We are devastated to lose him but we have so many happy memories and could not have been more proud of him.
DzMiUe_WsAAVEsv.jpg

Had the privilege of watching him play so many times at Filbert Street. Safe as the Banks of England. Banks is better than Yashin, etc.

Only saw him play once, in my first visit to Filbert Street, he was in goal for Stoke as Leicester came from a goal behind to win 2-1.

Lovely tribute and recollection by Alan Mullery on BBC radio 4 world at one. Because of his size, at 6ft, Mullery rates him the best ever. Personally I think Shilton was better.

I always thought that we should name the two stands behind the goals 'The Banks End' and 'The Shilton End' to recognise that we were lucky enough to have had two legendary keepers here.
My season tickets are in the Banks Lounge.

Had the privilege of watching him play so many times at Filbert Street. Safe as the Banks of England. Banks is better than Yashin, etc.
Saw him play the first couple of years I went to filbert street before he moved to Stoke, and of course, on the telly in his internationals - great goalie. RIP

I always thought that we should name the two stands behind the goals 'The Banks End' and 'The Shilton End' to recognise that we were lucky enough to have had two legendary keepers here.
We could name the side stands after Jimmy Neilsen and Kevin Pressman

One thing that might not be remembered is the problem that Banks had with the League/F.A over goalkeepers' shirt colour. At that time there was a very limited number of colours that goalkeepers were allowed to wear; most wore green although blue, scarlet and white were also allowed (plus yellow and black in international matches). Gordon also wore green while he was at Leicester - but unfortunately it was the wrong shade of green for the authorities. Somewhat darker than the required hue and it led to a bit of a stand-off with him insisting on wearing it before finally complying.

One thing that might not be remembered is the problem that Banks had with the League/F.A over goalkeepers' shirt colour. At that time there was a very limited number of colours that goalkeepers were allowed to wear; most wore green although blue, scarlet and white were also allowed (plus yellow and black in international matches). Gordon also wore green while he was at Leicester - but unfortunately it was the wrong shade of green for the authorities. Somewhat darker than the required hue and it led to a bit of a stand-off with him insisting on wearing it before finally complying.
How do you remember that yet can't remember 2015/16?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757