Confirmed Transfer Hamza Choudhury loaned to Watford

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Leicester City midfielder Hamza Choudhury will spend the 2022/23 campaign on loan at Championship side Watford, subject to Football League clearance.

The 24-year-old, who has played more than 80 times for the Foxes, has been with the Club since 2005 having joined the Academy at the age of seven.

After two loan spells with Burton Albion, Hamza made his City debut in 2017 and went on to help LCFC to three consecutive top-eight finishes in the Premier League in recent seasons.

He was also part of the team that lifted the FA Cup in May 2021 and was involved in European campaigns in 2020/21 and 2021/22, as the Foxes reached the last four of the UEFA Europa Conference League last term.

He will now link-up with the Hornets, who are next in action on Friday 12 August when they play host to Burnley (8pm kick-off).

Good move for all parties. He wouldn't be making our 25 man squad.

I'm surprised that none of the promoted teams took a gamble on him. There could be a decent player there with a decent run in the team.

I think that's him gone for good. Isn't he out of contract in 2023?

He was inexplicably given a long term contract back in 2019 without any evidence that he could make it as a PL player.

I don't even think he's Championship standard as his passing, positioning and temperament are all suspect. A shame in a way as he is home grown and is pleasingly combative but he just didn't have the talent.

Good to see we are finally moving some of the fringe players on.

Hopefully it's a good move for him too as he needs a regular season of playing if he wants to develop into a PL player.

Do we still have more players than we can register now?

Good for him and us. Like Fox Fan said, I'm surprised a promoted team didn't fancy him as an option.

Hopefully Watford are at least paying all his wages. I think he'll do very well in the Championship.

I'm pleased for him at his age he needs to be playing regularly, hopefully he will do well and earn himself a permanent move.

Another wage of Leicesters books

Watford are saying there's an "option to buy". You wouldn't expect them to say that if they could sign him for free at the end of the loan. Unless they mean "option to sign". Maybe they've agreed to give him a contract if he plays regularly.
I think that's him gone for good. Isn't he out of contract in 2023?
Didn’t we have an option to extend his contract when it expires?

Didn’t we have an option to extend his contract when it expires?

Yeah, it looks like we have an option to add another year to his contract.

Knowing our lot of imbeciles, we'll extend it in the hope of selling him next summer and nobody will want him again so we'll end up paying him to play for someone else again.

I'm sure it will more likely be down to accounting rather than wanting to keep him or try and get a few for him.

Longer contract gives us longer to write it off/amortise the value and I doubt it will another year at exactly the same wage as now.

Hopefully someone who actually knows what they are on about will be along shortly.

Or I'm wrong and we are just stupid!

Not if he’s on 74 grand a week or whatever it was someone was claiming the other day
I was told £80k a week on Sunday and Thomas is on £40k but it was the same person who said the little Wes deal was done for £95m

Why on earth would we extend that contract? Absolutely insane.

We've been trying to sell him for two years now without success. Are we seriously gambling on him doing so well at Watford that they spend proper money for him?

By extending his contract we're committing to give him >£6m as it is. Just let him go next summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Ipswich4389
2Leicester4288
3Leeds Utd4387
4Southampton4284
5West Brom4372
6Norwich City4371
7Hull City4265
8Coventry City4263