Confirmed Transfer Harvey Barnes recalled from WBA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd dispute that most fans are looking for consistent 7th place.

I'd personally love to see the club become the best producer and developer of young talent. It's a great business model, it gives the fans some local lads to get behind and, in theory, the football should be quick and exciting.

Barnes
Maguire
Chilwell
Maddison
Ndidi
Benkovic
Soyuncu
Choudhury
Gray
Amartey, even

I expect us to continue to develop (and yes, eventually sell) players like those above. It's exciting. Now just need to get the football right.

Barnes has had 88 shots this season, think the tweet I saw said the most in England in any division, I'd say he seems like a direct winger that gets into the box than an Albrighton who gets down the line and crosses
Not forgetting the 9 goals and hatful of assists in half a season. Definitely nothing like an Albrighton kind of player.

But what would we know? Our opinions are based on not watching him, apparently.

Barnes has had 88 shots this season, think the tweet I saw said the most in England in any division, I'd say he seems like a direct winger that gets into the box than an Albrighton who gets down the line and crosses

Fair enough and I was referring to more his style of play as in hard worked, always gives 100% etc although I have also read he can be poor at tracking back.

I feel we need to add some real class to the team if we want to get that 7th spot that is being demanded.

Hard work, grit, determination etc only takes you so far, eventually you need actually quality to shine through to succeed.

not so sure "working hard" can be given as a trait, now this could be sour grapes obviously but I have read some WBA fans saying he has a tendency to "go missing" at times, that said, most wingers tend to go missing when you don't get the ball to them in dangerous areas

I'd dispute that most fans are looking for consistent 7th place.

I'd personally love to see the club become the best producer and developer of young talent. It's a great business model, it gives the fans some local lads to get behind and, in theory, the football should be quick and exciting.

Barnes
Maguire
Chilwell
Maddison
Ndidi
Benkovic
Soyuncu
Choudhury
Gray
Amartey, even

I expect us to continue to develop (and yes, eventually sell) players like those above. It's exciting. Now just need to get the football right.

So if Puel doesn't get us 7th place at the end of the season you'll be happy with that?

And you'd rather us just be a feeder team without success just to produce 'local talent'?

Sounds great although from your list of 10, we have any actually produced 3 of them, only 1 is an actual local lad and 2 of them on there come in for a lot of stick and you even posted a short while ago that one should be playing in the league below?

We're actually trying to do pretty much exactly what you have posted with a manager that believes in giving youth the chance. Only you want that manager out?

This is the sort of inconsistency that confuses me so much about this forum.

Barnes is a real talent. Great form and quality performances. An exciting player.

Don't worry, in six weeks we'll knock all that out of him.

Iborra out Choudhury in equals improved squad
Diabate out Barnes in equals improved squad.

Now we just need to see what can be done about James, King, and Okazaki (who I would keep) and who would come in in their place. Talk about Delph, Jarrod Bowen, Che Adams is very welcome but I'd want us to get a player that signifies 'we want 7th' like a move for Giroud or another proven target man striker...

Our season finished last week

Just play the fecker and see if he can save us from several weeks of pure shitfest

Even if he fails horribly, he won't have done any worse than Gray, Ghezzal, Nacho or most of the others

WBA are peeved off that he's been recalled.
If you follow any of their matches, his name is cropping up in a positive manner, more frequently than not.
Personally, as he has been recalled, I would have called him back for the Newport game.

Whereas people's opinions on Barnes has been based on not watching him.

WBA are a much better team than Birmingham were in Gray's time there, Barnes is a few years older than Gary was playing in the Championship and comparing players in pretty much the exact same position seems a valid comparison.

No one mentioned anything about an overpriced panic buy but imo, if the fans are demanding 7th place as minimum, we need to be looking to add proven quality rather than pinning our hopes on a youngster that has never played at this level so far.

I've not seen him play myself but from what I have read about him, he seems more of an Albrighton type wide player whereas we need more of a Mahrez who can dictate the game and provide that something special that top PL teams need to sometimes win a game out of nothing.

So what’s your point? Or are you just telling people that they shouldn’t have any hopes for a player you’ve never watched?

Whereas people's opinions on Barnes has been based on not watching him.

I've seen quite a lot of him this season. I've watched West Brom's games when they've not played at the same time as us. They've had a lot of televised games. All midweek Championship matches are televised.

He'll go missing for long periods, do stuff that doesn't come off, but have moments where he'll do something no one else on the pitch can do. He can play wide or as a number 10.

We need to be patient with him. He's got the ability to be a top player.

He'll go missing for long periods, do stuff that doesn't come off, but have moments where he'll do something no one else on the pitch can do. He can play wide or as a number 10.
Sounds a bit like a certain Algerian.

Not Ghezzal

So what’s your point? Or are you just telling people that they shouldn’t have any hopes for a player you’ve never watched?

That there is no logic to write one player off saying you've witnessed it over 3 years but then being convinced someone else is better based on 4 months you haven't seen in a lower league.

Also, if people are demanding 7th as a minimum, which they are, we need actual quality rather than lower league prospects. Especially when we have already tried this and it has failed spectacularly according to the general consensus on here.

That there is no logic to write one player off saying you've witnessed it over 3 years but then being convinced someone else is better based on 4 months you haven't seen in a lower league.

People are looking forward to him playing because he's got potential to be good, he may not be of course. With Gray we know for certain that he's not good so why not look forward to seeing someone else?

People are looking forward to him playing because he's got potential to be good, he may not be of course. With Gray we know for certain that he's not good so why not look forward to seeing someone else?

But if you're writing Gray off at his age then it doesn't give much chance for the likes of Barnes or Choudhury to blossom either?

But if you're writing Gray off at his age then it doesn't give much chance for the likes of Barnes or Choudhury to blossom either?
Fitz doesn’t pick the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758