Have we blown it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverFox

Did we blow it by not pushing hard enough for promotion. The parachute money has gone leaving a 7 million pound hole in the finances, and if the speculation is true, a free transfer from Crewe didn't find us an attractive enough prospect to join us (not that I am fussed really).

I would think now what we can offer players financially is significantly less attractive, and as such we might find ourselves struggling to attract the type of player who can get us out of this league. While clubs like Brum, Brom, palace, scumderland and even fecking cardiff have money to spread around, what does the future hold for us?

The new chairman might know a thing or two about fast food, but I have a feeling that there will be nothing fast about taking leicester back up.

What do you folks think, have we blown it?

Another way to look at it is that we didn't blow it, we saved it. We stayed up

Nice and positive I see, just like me.

Trouble with us is that we take too many gambles. We gambled appointing Peter Taylor, who along with the then board contributed to the fine mess we are in, we gambled with Micky Adams (which to be fair was alright for us till we ran him out of town). We gambled appointing Craig Levein (who had no experience of the english game), and now again we have gambled by appointing Rob Kelly.

I am hoping like the next man that Kelly will do us rightly, but I think the mistake was the last appointment of craig levein, a man who in our last year of parachute money knew nothing about English football. We should have gone for some experience and really pushed.

I hope the current gamble pays off.

Last edited:
highland fox said:
We are fecked....face it.

Though not quite as fecked as when we nearly went out of existence?

Imo whether people like it or not, the future for our club will be to sell our most valuable assets until we can hold our own. Anyone who thinks that we have a good player like Fryatt had better get used to the fact that one good season and he will be gone. Both Southampton and Palace have cashed in on their best players, and with the money they've recieved probaly half or less will be spent on new players. Thats the way it is in the fizzy, and at the mo we are quite away off from being competitive, and imo at least 3 years away from returning to the prem unless we get lucky.

Well in that case im feeling lucky. Im fed up of being told we arn't good enough before a ball has been kicked, let the bookies rule us out but come guys show some optomism for gods sake. im not saying 'yea were defo going up because were the dogs...' but simply instead of the negative comments a bit of encouragement would not go a miss. we have the best partnership in the league (atleast i believe so) and that is the most important part to a team in this league, a fruitful partnership upfront. as city fans we have never been backed to succeed, but have done when least expected, as have watford and reading who were also 25/1 for success this year.

lets not rule ourselves out of any success for the next 3 years please, otherwise this will be a gloomy place indeed

lako42 said:
Well in that case im feeling lucky. Im fed up of being told we arn't good enough before a ball has been kicked, let the bookies rule us out but come guys show some optomism for gods sake. im not saying 'yea were defo going up because were the dogs...' but simply instead of the negative comments a bit of encouragement would not go a miss. we have the best partnership in the league (atleast i believe so) and that is the most important part to a team in this league, a fruitful partnership upfront. as city fans we have never been backed to succeed, but have done when least expected, as have watford and reading who were also 25/1 for success this year.

lets not rule ourselves out of any success for the next 3 years please, otherwise this will be a gloomy place indeed

Its not that we are not good enough, we can on our day give any team in this division a game. But imo we are not strong enough as a squad and one or two injures to key players would expose that. This is why i believe we are a little off the pace at the mo. Like i say if we get lucky who knows:102: . I don't think thats being negative, more realistic imo:)

I can see both sides of the argument, whilst I think we are a long way off being automatic promotion candiadates, I also see no reason why we cannot emulate the exploits of Preston and Watford, but to do that we need some decent organisation, something that RK has already demonstrated in his short time in charge, a couple of inspired signings and a fair amount of luck.

If we can get off to a decent start and build on the confidence, then we are more than capable of pushing for the play offs, however our ability to hold onto the real quality players in our squad will play a key part in what we can achieve.

Let's not forget that we had the second best record for the last 12 / 13 games of last season and we have only lost one player since then and kelly's had more time to instill his way of doing things on the players - i think there's every reason to be positive. we have a young squad, the players seem to have confidence and the fans seem to be behind the manager and the team. just because kenny lunt chose wednesday and we haven't got much money to spend doesn't mean we should resign ourselves to mediocrity forever - there's too many stories of clubs making a success of themselves on a small budget through teamwork and organisation!

Doggie_muz said:
Let's not forget that we had the second best record for the last 12 / 13 games of last season and we have only lost one player since then and kelly's had more time to instill his way of doing things on the players - i think there's every reason to be positive. we have a young squad, the players seem to have confidence and the fans seem to be behind the manager and the team. just because kenny lunt chose wednesday and we haven't got much money to spend doesn't mean we should resign ourselves to mediocrity forever - there's too many stories of clubs making a success of themselves on a small budget through teamwork and organisation!

Watford for one :icon_wink

Last edited:
I agree that, given a reasonable start and a fair share of luck, they could challenge for a top 6 spot. However, the biggest problem is the size of the "real" squad - ie those who could, if called on, do a good job in the first team if needed.

The season is a minimum of 48 games, and it is inevitable that there will be injuries & suspensions. Plus occasional needs to make changes for tactical or loss of form reasons. First choice players need to feel under some pressure from others after their places. That is what the squad lacks, and it remains to be seen whether there are sufficient resources to strengthen it sufficiently.

While the performance from january on was promotion form, it was done with very few team changes and it was clear by the end of the season that some key players were running out of steam. And the squad, in comparison to most in this division, is not made up of big, tough players.

In short, I think it is not unreasonable to hope for a top 6 finish, but more realistically expect something a little short of that, hopefully to be used as a springboard for the following year.

lako42 said:

But surely it is better to have a realistic expectation, rather than to go into a new season in the kind of mood that we did last time around. Whilst a few of us were saying that we would finish in much the same league position as we had the previous season, the vast majority saw us as certain play-off finishers, if not better. When the hoped-for results and performances did not materialise, the disillusionment led to a lack of support for the team on the pitch with almost disastrous consequences.

Hopefully RK will lead us forward, however I do worry when I see the likes of Billy Davies linked with the sheep....

alex said:
Hopefully RK will lead us forward, however I do worry when I see the likes of Billy Davies linked with the sheep....

Arrested for beastaility (alledgedly) :icon_bigg

Last edited:
PFKAKTF FOX said:
I've been Arrested for beastaility (alledgedly) :icon_bigg
Now I'm getting worried about next season :icon_bigg

Last edited:
Melton Fox said:
Now I'm getting worried about next season :icon_bigg

:icon_lol:You will be ok as long as you don't own a Sheepskin coat or a mohair jumper :icon_bigg

some players will still regard us as a big club who are set for big things, we have shown we are capable of being half decent and ambitious players such as fryatt have jumped on board so far. watford arent the richest club in the world and they made the step with other teams rejects (including one of ours)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Ipswich4389
2Leicester4288
3Leeds Utd4387
4Southampton4284
5West Brom4372
6Norwich City4371
7Hull City4265
8Coventry City4263