Confirmed Transfer Head of Recruitment Lee Congerton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Confused by this because Rodgers does not seem to be the sort of guy who suffers fools.

If he felt that Congerton was anything less than excellent, why would he endorse and recommend him?

Also hard to believe that Rudkin and Top wouldn't make their own assessment and not just take Rodgers' word for it.

This doesn't inspire confidence that our transfer record will improve. Hope I'm proved wrong.

I assume (hope) this summer's transfer targets have already been decided.

Confused by this because Rodgers does not seem to be the sort of guy who suffers fools.

If he felt that Congerton was anything less than excellent, why would he endorse and recommend him?

Also hard to believe that Rudkin and Top wouldn't make their own assessment and not just take Rodgers' word for it.

Three examples that demonstrate that the man is unfit for such an important role:

1. He signed Jack Rodwell for Sunderland who is described as 'pound for pound the worst signing in their history'. The stories of Rodwell at Sunderland are almost the stuff of legend.

2. He signed Ricky Alvarez too. Who he? Exactly. It was supposed to be a loan move for a useless lump but Congerton got the terms of the deal wrong. So, when the loan expired he realised that they had to pay £9m to sign the player permanently despite him being totally unwanted.

3. The mess he made of Hamburg was such that they are still feeeling the effects of it several years later. I know quite a bit about Hamburg. They put him on gardening leave, preferring to pay him not to do deals as it was cheaper than paying him to do his job.

Alarming, this appointment should see the end of Rodgers before his contract runs out.

Alarming, this appointment should see the end of Rodgers before his contract runs out.
I really hope this is sarcasm otherwise can you please go back to the Celtic forum and stop trolling here.

Shouldn't even have warranted an interview at a club of our current level

he's head scout, the same staff will be watching out for players and compiling reports, he's just the guy that will meet with Rodgers and Rudkin

Absolute fecking shambles of a decision. Beyond awful. He has repeatedly proved himself to be useless at this job and is only still employed because he is Rodgers' mate.

Bad, bad, misstep from Top and Rudkin this.

The problem is have in calling out individuals as THE problem at a club is that rarely do they work in isolation. We also have no understanding of the inner workings of the different clubs and the politics involved. Sunderland have been ran terribly for years. Celtic had some well publicised transfer budget problems, and as per the article above the remit at Hambug completely changed.

We've seen this with Rudkin being blamed for every bad signing and not signing players. (At least on the other side)

He may turn out to be shit. In which case I wouldn't necessarily blame just him, but the whole structure of our club and the recuitement process. No one person makes signings now a days. We're not run by a dictator chairman or agents.

The problem is have in calling out individuals as THE problem at a club is that rarely do they work in isolation. We also have no understanding of the inner workings of the different clubs and the politics involved. Sunderland have been ran terribly for years. Celtic had some well publicised transfer budget problems, and as per the article above the remit at Hambug completely changed.

We've seen this with Rudkin being blamed for every bad signing and not signing players. (At least on the other side)

He may turn out to be shit. In which case I wouldn't necessarily blame just him, but the whole structure of our club and the recuitement process. No one person makes signings now a days. We're not run by a dictator chairman or agents.
A well thought out, measured post. What the **** are you doing here...?

Completely agree with this, top post. The head of recruitment will be given a list of positions and a profile of the type of player they want / need including the key attributes, it is the role of the recruitment team including scouts to identify players who fit these requirements which the Manager and Director of Football then agree who they will prioritise as their main targets with the DoF then concluding the financial side of the deal.

The reason Steve Walsh was so successful was he had a clear remit from Pearson as to the types of players he wanted and he was available to unearth some real gems, only because Pearson was patient in allowing them to settle into there new surroundings Drinkwater, Mahrez and Vardy all took time to settle and initially been labelled as poor buys. Once Pearson left our recruitment appeared to become more random, partly due to not being ready for the premier league win and then changes of mangers so a mix and match of styles. We appear to have stability again and therefore I am hoping that Congerton will have the direction, resources and support to be very successful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757