Heavyweight boxing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brauny Blue

As it ever been a worse state? They mentioned the 4 world champs the other day and i thought perhaps Bruno should come out of retirement:icon_conf .
The giants of the ring used to be early hours compulsive tv( Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Spinks, Tyson, Holyfield, Lewis). What a pity its sunk to what it is.

Brauny Blue said:
As it ever been a worse state? They mentioned the 4 world champs the other day and i thought perhaps Bruno should come out of retirement:icon_conf .
The giants of the ring used to be early hours compulsive tv( Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Spinks, Tyson, Holyfield, Lewis). What a pity its sunk to what it is.
I was thinking the same not long back, there was a time when the heavyweight world champs were household names and most housewives could have named at least one or two of the heavyweights. Id struggle to name even one of them nowadays. I think it could be down to the fact that the sport and the money involved boomed in the early to mid 90's and hasnt been able to be matched again lately or it could just be that there are no stand out stars any more.

Last edited:
fcukcov said:
I was thinking the same not long back, there was a time when the heavyweight world champs were household names and most housewives could have named at least one or two of the heavyweights. Id struggle to name even one of them nowadays. I think it could be down to the fact that the sport and the money involved boomed in the early to mid 90's and hasnt been able to be matched again lately or it could just be that there are no stand out stars any more.

I was astonished to read recently that boxing in America has slipped to something like 13th in their most popular sports. Then again they only show interest in sports that they are good at.

Brauny Blue said:
I was astonished to read recently that boxing in America has slipped to something like 13th in their most popular sports. Then again they only show interest in sports that they are good at.
Are they good at 13 sports?

interesting challenge.....

Basketball
American Football
Baseball
Golf
Ice Hockey
Athletics
Tennis
Swimming
Football (in the world's top ten)

that's nine and I'm bored now.......

Last edited:
It doesn't help with the huge amount of different championships and weight sizes IMO. They should stick to 4 or 5 belts ONLY, we would then soon have those household names coming back. The fact that a man has the opportunity to win several different titles is ridiculous. 1 super-heavyweight, 1 heavyweight, 1 middleweight and 1 lightweight is all that is needed IMO.

Mike Hunt Smells said:
It doesn't help with the huge amount of different championships and weight sizes IMO. They should stick to 4 or 5 belts ONLY, we would then soon have those household names coming back. The fact that a man has the opportunity to win several different titles is ridiculous. 1 super-heavyweight, 1 heavyweight, 1 middleweight and 1 lightweight is all that is needed IMO.

You can argue the weigt thing either way but the number of "governing bodies" is just ridiculous - WBA,WBC,WBO,IBF etc etc or whatever they're called nowadays.

The whole sport is run by gangsters (alledgedly) and there is a little or no inncentive to unify titles - that's why it's such a turnoff.......

Fox From The Hudd said:
You can argue the weigt thing either way but the number of "governing bodies" is just ridiculous - WBA,WBC,WBO,IBF etc etc or whatever they're called nowadays.

I forgot to include about that. It is ridiculous. Can't they all form together to make one huge governing body? It would make boxing a lot better.

Mike Hunt Smells said:
I forgot to include about that. It is ridiculous. Can't they all form together to make one huge governing body? It would make boxing a lot better.

im sure it would but like anything its about the money, there are 4 billion different bodies so that each can make its own monwy and control the fights....

i find that the better boxing since i have been watching it have been in the lighter divisions the best fight i ever saw was Jose antonio barrea vs another mexican whos name escapes me, they fought a few times but the first was amazing so fast and skillful

Sad to hear Floyd Patterson has died aged 71. Patterson was the first heavyweight to regain the title after being defeated by ingamar Johannson in the late 50's. RIP Floyd Patterson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Bournemouth00
2Arsenal00
3Aston Villa00
4Brentford00
5Brighton00
6Chelsea00
7Palace00
8Everton00