Help Choosing a New Phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feriol

Hi.

I'm looking to buy a new phone, and am willing to go up to £200. My current phone is an original (2013) Moto G. To be honest I'm quite satisfied with it's general performance and am only looking to upgrade to get 4g and hopefully better battery life.

I use my phone a lot for web browsing and tether my tablet so currently I get to about 1pm and have to use a power bank.

I am tech savvy, but there is now a lot of competition at this price point, and many reviews are contradicting, so wanted some advice (the original Moto G was a no brainer at the time)

I plan on sticking with Android so the best options seem to be:
Moto G 2015
Honour 5x
OnePlus x
Wileyfox Storm

Has anybody had experience with these phones? Is there another you would recommend? Or any Advice?

Thanks

I'm upgraded from original Moto G to the Moto G 3 16GB & 2GB RAM just before Christmas and I'm certainly not regretting it.

Camera is a very nice update, not the best but a lot better than the original and perfectly fine for on the go photos. Extra GB of RAM is fantastic though as the phone is so snappy and don't have to keep closing apps all the time.

I was going to go for WileyFox but stuck to what I know as it was only about £20 more.

I got my phone from Amazon France as it was cheaper than going through the UK site as I believe it is only amazon that sell the 16GB/2GB version.

You should consider the Xiaomi redmi note 3 too.

Thanks. Unfortunately it doesn't support the 800mhz 4g band used by o2 (I'm on giffgaff) so would mean changing networks as well.

I won't rule it out though. There is pro version coming soon too.

Last edited:
I'm upgraded from original Moto G to the Moto G 3 16GB & 2GB RAM just before Christmas and I'm certainly not regretting it.

Camera is a very nice update, not the best but a lot better than the original and perfectly fine for on the go photos. Extra GB of RAM is fantastic though as the phone is so snappy and don't have to keep closing apps all the time.

I was going to go for WileyFox but stuck to what I know as it was only about £20 more.

I got my phone from Amazon France as it was cheaper than going through the UK site as I believe it is only amazon that sell the 16GB/2GB version.

Thanks. On paper it seems to have the lowest spec of all the phones I have considered, but it seems to be universally well reviewed. I have been very pleased with my Moto G, and this upgrade seems to make sense, but I can't help thinking I might get more life out of a better spec'ed device.

I've certainly been impressed anyway and a big thing for me was having plain Google on there as I can't stand all the overlays the other companies put on. I'm not sure what comes with the others you have mentioned but I couldn't be bothered with rooting and flashing different roms like I had done in the past to get what I want, just wanted a phone I could use out the box and I've definitely not noticed a lack of power as I don't game on my phone at all tbh.

If you're going for the Moto G then it has to be the 16Gb/2GB version imo.

I've certainly been impressed anyway and a big thing for me was having plain Google on there as I can't stand all the overlays the other companies put on. I'm not sure what comes with the others you have mentioned but I couldn't be bothered with rooting and flashing different roms like I had done in the past to get what I want, just wanted a phone I could use out the box and I've definitely not noticed a lack of power as I don't game on my phone at all tbh.

If you're going for the Moto G then it has to be the 16Gb/2GB version imo.
Thank you. How would you rate the battery life? Reviews say average or good for a day, but I've no idea what is considered average in real world terms.

Thank you. How would you rate the battery life? Reviews say average or good for a day, but I've no idea what is considered average in real world terms.

Hard to say for me to be honest as I'm pretty much tied to a desk at work so I always have power on hand and usually have the phone on charge.

Never had it run out on my whilst I've been out and about though so it certainly doesn't have a bad battery life, but like yourself, not really sure what would be considered good.

I would say though that if you're just browsing and emailing and not watching videos, a day should be easily achievable as I've never really paid much attention to shutting background apps or screen brightness on this one.

Cubot X17, thank me later

Just looked at the specs. It's a no from me. It won't let you use two sims and an SD card at the same time as the SD card uses the same space as a sim.

He never mentioned it as a requirement?

Not that many personal phone users require it either.

Cubot X17, thank me later

Interesting. Pretty well reviewed in all areas except battery. Do you have this phone? Is the battery okay?

Some comments that it won't install Amazon apps, I use Amazon music, do you know if it works?

I have been looking at the Ulefone Power, very tempting with it's 6050mAH battery. The Xiaomi mi5 that's just been announced is looking tempting if I save up a little more, but I think I'm getting too distracted now.

Edit. I don't require dual sim.

Battery seems to last the Mrs a full day with quite a lot of web use.

Build quality is outstanding, seriously makes me wonder why anyone would pay stupid money for a phone.

I'll check later regarding amazon apps but we have had no issues with anything installing from google play.

He never mentioned it as a requirement?

No, I was talking about what I'd be looking for in my next phone.

Not that many personal phone users require it either.

Not many might require it, but it can be a good way to save money.
I use one sim for cheap/free data, and one for calls/texts.
I hardly make any calls, and maybe send 100 texts a month, so Three's normal PAYG rates are great for that. But sometimes I need a lot of data, so EE's regular 'free' 100GB a month offers are good for that.

No, I was talking about what I'd be looking for in my next phone.

Not many might require it, but it can be a good way to save money.
I use one sim for cheap/free data, and one for calls/texts.
I hardly make any calls, and maybe send 100 texts a month, so Three's normal PAYG rates are great for that. But sometimes I need a lot of data, so EE's regular 'free' 100GB a month offers are good for that.

Please reveal more about the 100GB a month offers?

Battery seems to last the Mrs a full day with quite a lot of web use.

Build quality is outstanding, seriously makes me wonder why anyone would pay stupid money for a phone.

I'll check later regarding amazon apps but we have had no issues with anything installing from google play.

Thanks

Please reveal more about the 100GB a month offers?

They've been having the offer several times a year. Order a special sim from their website, top up £10 and send a text to activate it. You then get 100GB a month free for two months. Your £10 credit is supposed to be used for a £10 a month pack, but you can cancel that so you'll still have £10 credit at the end of the two months. You can order two per address each time they run the offer.
It's unofficially possible to start the first 100GB after the offer ends by activating it but not using any data - the 100GB starts when you first use the data, not when you activate it, so you could end up having loads of cheap data for much of the year if they continue running the offer as often as they have in the past.
Last year they ran the offer at Easter, twice in the summer, and once for Xmas. I'm currently using the second of the xmas sims I ordered, which will last me until early April.

Here's some info about their previous offer: https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Annou...IM-is-here-100GB-of-data-for-free/td-p/357799

They've been having the offer several times a year. Order a special sim from their website, top up £10 and send a text to activate it. You then get 100GB a month free for two months. Your £10 credit is supposed to be used for a £10 a month pack, but you can cancel that so you'll still have £10 credit at the end of the two months. You can order two per address each time they run the offer.
It's unofficially possible to start the first 100GB after the offer ends by activating it but not using any data - the 100GB starts when you first use the data, not when you activate it, so you could end up having loads of cheap data for much of the year if they continue running the offer as often as they have in the past.
Last year they ran the offer at Easter, twice in the summer, and once for Xmas. I'm currently using the second of the xmas sims I ordered, which will last me until early April.

Here's some info about their previous offer: https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Annou...IM-is-here-100GB-of-data-for-free/td-p/357799
Thanks, I'll keep an eye on it.

I finally decided on the Xiaomi Redmi 3 (not the Note 3) as it's battery life is really well rated. £106 from GearBest.
I'll have to change from Giffgaff though.

Thanks for all the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758