Holiday Farce - Advise?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My brother was due to fly to Barcelona next month with Ryanair, yesterday Ryanair informed him the flight out is cancelled but the flight back is still going ahead so they are only going to refund him for the flight out with the argument being "its up to you to make the flight"

I know this won't help you BN but my wife and I decided not to travel abroad this year even if we could simply because of what was open when we got there and the thought of wearing masks for 10 hours isn't my idea of a holiday.

Won't the travel company offer you the chance to rebook it for another time ?
Or if you paid by CC can you not claim from them ?

Update: I've been doing some more research.

In the email to me asking me to pay the balance back in April, the holiday company said that there were three circumstances where a full refund would be payable due to COVID. The first is that if the flight is cancelled and they cannot arrange a suitable replacement (flight currently not cancelled). The second is if the destination cannot be accessed as required (not currently relevant).

However, the third circumstance is as follows: If The Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office ("FCDO") are advising against non-essential travel to your destination.

I've just checked the FCDO website and the advice as of today is:

The FCDO advises against all but essential travel to Spain, including the Balearic Islands but excluding the Canary Islands, based on the current assessment of COVID-19 risks.​

Surely, if this remains the case, I can have a full refund. The company continue to hold firm on their approach and people are being told to travel but this tells me that if I demand a refund, they have to give one to me.

It looks like I have to wait until a couple of days before departure, but I can assume that we're not going to be made to travel now - I think!

In the email to me asking me to pay the balance back in April, the holiday company said that there were three circumstances where a full refund would be payable due to COVID. The first is that if the flight is cancelled and they cannot arrange a suitable replacement (flight currently not cancelled). The second is if the destination cannot be accessed as required (not currently relevant).

However, the third circumstance is as follows: If The Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office ("FCDO") are advising against non-essential travel to your destination.

The FCDO advises against all but essential travel to Spain, including the Balearic Islands but excluding the Canary Islands, based on the current assessment of COVID-19 risks.​

Surely, if this remains the case, I can have a full refund. The company continue to hold firm on their approach and people are being told to travel but this tells me that if I demand a refund, they have to give one to me.

It looks like I have to wait until a couple of days before departure, but I can assume that we're not going to be made to travel now - I think!
As I said earlier, it looks to me like they’re just hanging on as long as they can. The situation today is such that you shouldn’t be travelling, but it isn’t confirmed yet what the situation will be at your travel date.

Whatever you prepare for just understand the government will likely change the guidelines on your destination a couple of days before for absolutely no logical reason.

They seem to pull destinations out of a hat

Whatever you prepare for just understand the government will likely change the guidelines on your destination a couple of days before for absolutely no logical reason.

They seem to pull destinations out of a hat

Yep, we are dealing with imbeciles.

Crazy. Flights cancelled and entire holiday has been cancelled too now. Despite loads of new flights being organised.

Weird but at least they're refunding me.

Crazy. Flights cancelled and entire holiday has been cancelled too now. Despite loads of new flights being organised.

Weird but at least they're refunding me.
I suspect they are now charging more for similar holidays to the one you have had cancelled. Good business sense or sharp practice?

I suspect they are now charging more for similar holidays to the one you have had cancelled. Good business sense or sharp practice?

My thoughts too. Sounded like they wanted rid of my booking so they could re-sell for more.

I was 50/50 about it so didn't kick off. The additional cost of tests alone was £500+ and that's if everything went smoothly.

A full refund suits me but two weeks in the sun would have been lovely.

My thoughts too. Sounded like they wanted rid of my booking so they could re-sell for more.

I was 50/50 about it so didn't kick off. The additional cost of tests alone was £500+ and that's if everything went smoothly.

Sounds like win-win.

It's sunny in the North East. Book yersel up for Barnard Castle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757