How Do You Stop A Car With A Jammed Accelerator

Status
Not open for further replies.

SJN-Fox

In light of the Toyota recall, the BBC has helpfully provided us with a useful guide to stopping a runaway car.

Judging by some of the comments at the bottom of the article, some people should not be allowed to even look at pictures of cars let alone drive one.

(I do like the one about the mini with 6 people in though).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8498257.stm

In light of the Toyota recall, the BBC has helpfully provided us with a useful guide to stopping a runaway car.

Judging by some of the comments at the bottom of the article, some people should not be allowed to even look at pictures of cars let alone drive one.

(I do like the one about the mini with 6 people in though).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8498257.stm

I think the real question is whether any of the affected models of Toyota should be driven at all at the moment.

Ive had it happen to me where the brakes failed due to the incompetence of the AA. I had passed my test less than 2 weeks and the fecking car broken down need their 'help' got it started hitting the motor way all power cut and the brakes failed. swerved across 3 lanes of traffic and managed to glide to a stop just before the on slip of the next junction. hairy but it aint that hard to do

Switching the ignition off will also switch the power steering off and the steering will get extremely heavy adding to the problem.

I had my accelerator pedal stick when I was going to Fosse Park. But I managed to drive around the island there double back on myself and get onto the motorway. I eventually ran out of fuel near Scotch Corner after touching speeds of up to 130mph! It turned out I had chewing gum on the bottom of my shoe...:icon_redf

Ive had it happen to me where the brakes failed due to the incompetence of the AA. I had passed my test less than 2 weeks and the fecking car broken down need their 'help' got it started hitting the motor way all power cut and the brakes failed. swerved across 3 lanes of traffic and managed to glide to a stop just before the on slip of the next junction. hairy but it aint that hard to do

depends where you are and how much traffic there is around you. Try doing that on the M25 or M6 around Manchester

Switching the ignition off will also switch the power steering off and the steering will get extremely heavy adding to the problem.

I had my accelerator pedal stick when I was going to Fosse Park. But I managed to drive around the island there double back on myself and get onto the motorway. I eventually ran out of fuel near Scotch Corner after touching speeds of up to 130mph! It turned out I had chewing gum on the bottom of my shoe...:icon_redf

:081:

I can see it now...

"I only wanted to do my fecking shopping, and now i'm near fecking Darlington with fecking Wrigleys stuck to my shoe!"

I can see it now...

"I only wanted to do my fecking shopping, and now i'm near fecking Darlington with fecking Wrigleys stuck to my shoe!"

:icon_bigg:icon_bigg:icon_bigg:icon_bigg

Darlington with chewing gum?

Dundee with toblerone?

:icon_bigg:icon_bigg

:081: Love it.

Some of those stories on BBC article are classic....

I had a Mini years back and the throttle jamed open once but I managed to switch off and stop easily.

I decided to try and fix the throttle cable problem but ended up breaking the clamp nut at the carb, leaving me without the throttle at all. I managed to drive the three miles home by using the choke as a hand throttle - great it was, I must have reached a max velocity of about 25mph in third at one point.

Those were the days, try that in your new fangled computer controlled electronic whatsits.

scariest moment i had was when a lorry carrying pigs was coming the other way. One of our porcine friends took a dump out of the side and covered my windscreen with the most disgusting shite I've ever had the misfortune to witness. Luckily, the road was quite and i could stop as the winscreen wipers and washers were having no effect on my visibility!

scariest moment i had was when a lorry carrying pigs was coming the other way. One of our porcine friends took a dump out of the side and covered my windscreen with the most disgusting shite I've ever had the misfortune to witness. Luckily, the road was quite and i could stop as the winscreen wipers and washers were having no effect on my visibility!

was the lorry taking them to a match then?

Reminds me of Leeroy in the curry house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48
8Chelsea47
9Brentford46