Post Match Huddersfield 1:4 Leicester City

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still stand by the fact that Soyuncu got nothing of the ball. The angle from behind shows that clearly enough.

I can only assume you are the love child of Stevie Wonder and Helen Keller.

Or you have drank more tonight that what Paul Gascoigne has in his life.

I was rooting for a Vardy hat trick. Would love his run to continue and to get into the top 2 or 3 scorers. Level with Sterling and Only 4 off Aguero now which considering the difference in the number of chances created for each side is just ridiculous. The guy is a class act.
Happy to see Soyuncu get a game.
If we can keep Tielemans and the current squad + 2 or 3 more players then we should be expecting big things next season.

Exactly this, to think a Wolves fan at work told me he would rather have Jimenez than Vardy haha!

I was mesmerised at times today

Especially 1st half. There was one passage of play where Gray was played in; quick, direct, one touch stuff. Started from near the half way line and tika-taka-ed with 4 or 5 quick, short passes to the edge of the area. It was sublime.

Last edited:
I can only assume you are the love child of Stevie Wonder and Helen Keller.

Or you have drank more tonight that what Paul Gascoigne has in his life.
Or that I don’t have blue tinted goggles on.

I don't think it was a penalty. However, I also don't think that VAR would overturn the decision as he clearly stands on the Huddersfield players foot as part of touching the ball. It isn't an obvious error.

What was an obvious error was Vardy's first goal was clearly offside so wouldn't have counted next season.

It wasn't a penalty. Soyuncu clearly gets to the ball first and steps on the defenders foot as a result. Like BN says though, VAR wouldn't have overturned it as it isn't a clear and obvious refereeing error and I can see why at the pace the referee would have seen it, why the penalty was awarded. I didn't think Vardy was offside but I'd have to have another look at that to be fair.

As for the game, Maddison was exceptional as was Tielemans. I also thought Gray was very good again and I am hoping that this is the start of him blossoming under a good manager. The performance was fantastic in patches and a bit sleepy in others but I think that was because we didn't have to work hard at all to break them down and we got complacent at times. Still, excellent results are coming and the players seem to be thriving on the rapidity of our passing and moving.

It wasn't a penalty. Soyuncu clearly gets to the ball first and steps on the defenders foot as a result.

You're not allowed to stand on somebody's foot before, during or after. I haven't seen it but on your evidence it was a penalty.

BlueNotes on the Prematch Thread
the genuine village fair treat worthy of GBBO

Got to admit, I wasn't as vocally anti Puel as others but the turn around in spirit and direction has been remarkable... makes me wonder 'if'...

I am still impressed by BlueNotes use of GBBO. I feel he should keep this house style and yesterday's post should read
"GTA I wasn't as vocally AP as others but the turn around in S&D has been remarkable." :)

You're not allowed to stand on somebody's foot before, during or after. I haven't seen it but on your evidence it was a penalty.
Well, I guess you're right in retrospect. I wasn't too upset about it being given like I said. In hindsight, I'd probably have been pretty miffed if we hadn't have got it.

Leicester have now matched their points tally of 47 from the entire 2017-18 season in their 33 league matches this season.

The Foxes have won 10 of their last 11 league games against Huddersfield Town, drawing the other game in September 2017.

Jamie Vardy has scored in each of his last four league games against Huddersfield, registering five goals, including four in three in the Premier League.

James Maddison has scored three direct free-kick goals in the Premier League this season, the most by a player in a single campaign since the three scored by Philippe Coutinho in 2016-17.

Youri Tielemans has either scored or assisted a goal in five of his last six Premier League games for Leicester, scoring in two and assisting in three.

Last six games under Puel - 7 goals
Six games after Puel was binned - 14 goals
Last six games under Puel - 15 conceded
Six games after Puel was binned - 6 conceded

Still its just statistics ain't it?!

I was very much a Puel-outer but I'm not convinced by Rodgers yet. Time will tell if this is just the new manager bounce that most clubs tend to start off with after a change of leadership or if Rodgers is capable of getting us into Europe. We have been playing some good stuff and are of course fairing much better against the mid to lower teams that we were all so unhappy with under Puel's reign. I'm really looking forward to seeing how we fare in those last few games against some of the top 6 whereas I was dreading them under Puel. Maybe we can gauge from that how competitive we might be next season?

On Soyuncu...he looked promising. The penalty came from a slip which frankly can happen to anyone at any time. Other than that he looked solid enough. Impossible to tell much from one game though especially against such a terrible side.
The one thing I would say is to repeat what i said after he was signed & watched some of his youtube stuff. You'd be worried about him if he was paired with Harry wouldn't you? Both seem to have that 'let's go for a wander forward' attitude. Having one CB like that is OK as long as they're actually good at it but I'm not sure having both would be good for the nerves.

You'd be worried about him if he was paired with Harry wouldn't you?

Yep. Too similar. I'd guess Soyuncu was signed with a view to being a Maguire replacement, either due to injury or moving on.

Gotta say though, on the 'wander forward' issue, Soyuncu looks a little more fleet of foot than Harry. His one burst forward yesterday was pretty direct and pacey, even if he did somewhat let the ball get away from him and was in danger of being more like Wes than Harry.

I think I said in the match thread, I fear Soyuncu might be one of those incident prone players. He's got a bit to learn yet, praps a tad too confident (if that can be called a problem) and can maybe get a bit too cocky and casual. He needs a pro like Evans to teach him when to keep the urges in check and get the basics covered.

The football correspondent I used to work with in Germany said Soyuncu was very quick, a decent footballer and prone to error.

Seems bang on the money so far.

I was very much a Puel-outer but I'm not convinced by Rodgers yet. Time will tell if this is just the new manager bounce that most clubs tend to start off with after a change of leadership or if Rodgers is capable of getting us into Europe. We have been playing some good stuff and are of course fairing much better against the mid to lower teams that we were all so unhappy with under Puel's reign. I'm really looking forward to seeing how we fare in those last few games against some of the top 6 whereas I was dreading them under Puel. Maybe we can gauge from that how competitive we might be next season?
I have seen enough to know that I am totally convinced.

Anyone else notice Maddison and Youri doing one of their hotshot handshake type thingies? I’m hoping this shows Youri is really enjoying his time here, as it can only help in our efforts to sign him permanently.

Even if I’m too old to appreciate these things, I like that they show the players seem to enjoy playing together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757