Is a top four finish achievable or a pipe dream?

Status
Not open for further replies.

big_mac4824

After this weekend's results I think it is fair to state that other than Man City and Liverpool there is not much between the top ten.

I believe we have the quality and depth in our squad to put our foot down and maintain a top four position by the end of December. I also believe we are capable of beating Liverpool and Man City, this is why I was so annoyed at losing to Manure last week.
Arsenal,Chelsea,Man Utd are average in my opinion there is also something wrong at Spurs. Us West Ham and whoever wants it more can upset the status quo only time will tell.

I just said exactly this in the post match thread. We just need to believe. The collection of bang average overrated sides behind the top 2 are living off of reputation garnered from past glories (or in the case of Spurs just media hype based on **** all) It should be top 3 too not top 4. 4th only gets you a qualification round & we all know what would inevitably happen there don't we ? !

It's still very early days, but having seen Man U. today, I can't believe we didn't bury them last week, they were shocking. As you say, the rest of the traditional top 6 look very average. Even City, despite yesterdays result, look beatable with the right approach.

Everton and Wolves haven't started well and West Ham are very hot and cold. I think we have every chance of top 6 and quite possibly top 4. I think its wide open this year, could be interesting!

Wouldn't want 6th Ropey league football nah it hasn't worked out well for Wolves playing shit teams in the back of beyond, go for top 4 other than Man c & Liverpool we have as good a chance as anyone else

We are more than capable of beating Liverpool in there back yard and we always tend to do well against Man City, hopefully it will stay compact right throughout the season,

If we compare the equivalent results this season to last season (substituting Sheff Utd/Fulham), then we're one point ahead. Whilst our start is heartening, we've not done anything special yet.

Wolves H -2 points
Chelsea A -2 points
Sheff Utd A +2 points
Bournemouth H 0 points
Man Utd A 0 points
Spurs H +3 points

A fourth place finish has required an average of 72 points over the last five seasons. That's 1.89 points per game. Our current rate is 1.83.

If we compare the equivalent results this season to last season (substituting Sheff Utd/Fulham), then we're one point ahead. Whilst our start is heartening, we've not done anything special yet.

Wolves H -2 points
Chelsea A -2 points
Sheff Utd A +2 points
Bournemouth H 0 points
Man Utd A 0 points
Spurs H +3 points

A fourth place finish has required an average of 72 points over the last five seasons. That's 1.89 points per game. Our current rate is 1.83.
Nothing special yet, we don't want you get too excited, do we?

On Spurs performance then top 6 should be a realistic expectation but only the week before, we couldn't even threaten the worst Manchester United team in my lifetime.

We've still got a long way to go imo before we can look at Top 4.

If we compare our standing against 2015/16's first 6.....we're 1 place higher and haven't just drawn against ****ing stoke. The league will be wrapped up by march.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757