Is it possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fcukcov

To get a direct train from either Leics of Cov to Newcastle on 1st December?

I think i know the answer is no, but I wondered if any of the train experts knew?

No for Leicester. You have to change at Sheffield or Chesterfield at the least. For Coventry, you change at York or Birmingham.

When did you become one of the "train elite"?

Cheers anyways!

If it helps there is a direct service from Tamworth.

Just to add, it may be of some use? There is a £22.50 advance single available on the 10.47am from Tamworth. The journey is approx 3hrs 45 mins.

Last edited:
To get a direct train from either Leics of Cov to Newcastle on 1st December?

I think i know the answer is no, but I wondered if any of the train experts knew?

Leicester --> Newcastle needs a change at Derby, Chesterfield or Sheffield (depends on ticket availability on Advance tickets). On other tickets there are other routes you could use but they are unlikely to be quicker.

Coventry --> Newcastle is change at New Street

If it helps there is a direct service from Tamworth.

Just to add, it may be of some use? There is a £22.50 advance single available on the 10.47am from Tamworth. The journey is approx 3hrs 45 mins.

Leicester --> Newcastle needs a change at Derby, Chesterfield or Sheffield (depends on ticket availability on Advance tickets). On other tickets there are other routes you could use but they are unlikely to be quicker.

Coventry --> Newcastle is change at New Street

Cheers guys, pretty much as I thought then.

There are no direct trains from Coventry to York.

According to thetrainline.com there is!

http://www.thetrainline.com/Buy_Tic...rd_Journey&SLFLG=false&T2ID=7935_200811615316

There is even a direct coventry to newcastle one at 16:23!! Dear o Dear boys.....

Wahey!! A Bournemouth to Edinburgh train - that's a new one on me!
That makes all of the former answers wrong to your Coventry to Newcastle query. You don't have to change in Brum; you don't have to change at York - and YES, there IS a direct train at 16:23.

Wahey!! A Bournemouth to Edinburgh train - that's a new one on me!
That makes all of the former answers wrong to your Coventry to Newcastle query. You don't have to change in Brum; you don't have to change at York - and YES, there IS a direct train at 16:23.

I know i found that out myself!:icon_wink:icon_lol:

There is an additional direct Coventry to Newcastle service at 18:23 Monday to Friday.

Saturdays there's just the 16:23.

Sundays, there are three direct services at 12:25, 14:25 and 16:25 approximately - times vary from week to week.

Return direct trains are early in the morning - 06:19 M-F, 06:20 Sat, although the Sunday trains are more civilised at 09:28, 11:25, 13:25 and 15:25.

There is an additional direct Coventry to Newcastle service at 18:23 Monday to Friday.

Saturdays there's just the 16:23.

Sundays, there are three direct services at 12:25, 14:25 and 16:25 approximately - times vary from week to week.

Return direct trains are early in the morning - 06:19 M-F, 06:20 Sat, although the Sunday trains are more civilised at 09:28, 11:25, 13:25 and 15:25.

The 18:23 arrives a little too late for him on the way there so he is going for the 16:23.

He is just gonna change on the way back I think.

The 18:23 arrives a little too late for him on the way there so he is going for the 16:23.

He is just gonna change on the way back I think.

Also Boc is what thetrainline.com is showing. I.e. a £212ish return to go on the 1st of dec and return on the 3rd gonna be the cheapest 1st class? I.e. are their any discounts or anything to get that price down?:102:

Also Boc is what thetrainline.com is showing. I.e. a £212ish return to go on the 1st of dec and return on the 3rd gonna be the cheapest 1st class? I.e. are their any discounts or anything to get that price down?:102:

What time coming back on 3rd ??

There are 1st Advance Single fares from £27 to £69, but I can't find any availability for either of your dates. It may be possible to beat the £212 1st off-peak return by splitting the journey but it might be a long and fruitless task to attempt to find such a split.

The cheapest tickets that I can find for a return journey (in standard class) on your dates are £48 - but the times are nothing like you want.

Near your times, I can see Advance Singles to/from New Street for a total of £56 - also in Standard Class.

As I have said before, Cross Country does not have much spare capacity and therefore little need to offer huge numbers of discounted tickets. It's entirely possible that cheaper fares could be found via London for this journey.

There are 1st Advance Single fares from £27 to £69, but I can't find any availability for either of your dates. It may be possible to beat the £212 1st off-peak return by splitting the journey but it might be a long and fruitless task to attempt to find such a split.

The cheapest tickets that I can find for a return journey (in standard class) on your dates are £48 - but the times are nothing like you want.

Near your times, I can see Advance Singles to/from New Street for a total of £56 - also in Standard Class.

As I have said before, Cross Country does not have much spare capacity and therefore little need to offer huge numbers of discounted tickets. It's entirely possible that cheaper fares could be found via London for this journey.

Ok thanks for trying bob.

Is the new train route a good find?

Is the new train route a good find?

It was certainly a surprise to me. I thought that all the XC trains from Bournemouth went forward to the north-west after calling at Birmingham. The question now is whether I will be able to remember these oddities if I ever need to in the future.

And btw - never book train tickets in thetrainline; it's not an easy to use site and it also has the audacity of adding a service charge to the cost of your tickets. http://www.nationalexpresseastcoast.com/ is probably the easiest site to use if you are looking for cheap tickets and can be a bit flexible about times. No service charge there - and at least 10% off fares which are set by NXEC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48
8Chelsea47
9Brentford46