Is my laptop f*****

Status
Not open for further replies.

NN Fox

Laptop refuses to boot up. It runs Vista. Starts as normal with the with the green flashing loading box. It then switches to WINDOWS LOADING FILES across the bottom, it then flashes and tries to load a dialog box before switching to a blue screen and the cursor, nothing else happens. I've tried booting it with the recovery disk but the result is the same. Does kicking it help? My suspicion is that the hard drive is f*****. I would be grateful if somebody who knows more than me about computers, pretty much anybody, has any constructive advice.

I always thought the BSoD displayed error messages and can be cured by switching off. This is just a blank blue screen.

I always thought the BSoD displayed error messages and can be cured by switching off. This is just a blank blue screen.

Mine was a blank blue screen too. Got it wiped and rebuilt - has been fine since.

Are you able to load the BIOS? Usually achieved by pressing the F2 key after you power up the laptop

Can you boot into Safe Mode by holding F8 before the Windows loading screen appears? If you select Safe Mode with Networking, you'll be able to access the Internet too.

Either way, it sounds like you have access to another PC, so follow this guide TO THE LETTER: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407

I have fixed so many of my friends' computers by following it.

Use a working machine to download Windows Defender Offline. Download the appropriate 32-bit or 64-bit version here
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/what-is-windows-defender-offline

and burn a CD. Boot from the CD and run a full scan.

If you don't have a blank CD, use a USB stick, make sure it's empty as it will format it. Boot from the USB stick and run a full scan.

If you can get into safe mode, boot into safe mode with networking and then download malwarebytes and do a scan with that.

http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html?tag=bc

Are you able to load the BIOS? Usually achieved by pressing the F2 key after you power up the laptop

Yes, I can access a menu by pressing Esc after switching on.

Yes, I can access a menu by pressing Esc after switching on.

That's not a bad sign, your motherboard is okay so. Look for a menu item in your BIOS that mentions 'Boot', I can't tell you exactly what it will say as it varies depending on what BIOS chip you have. If you go into the boot options you'll be able to set your CD drive as the first device in the order that it attempts to boot from. Save and exit, then try to boot off your Windows recovery CD again.

That's not a bad sign, your motherboard is okay so. Look for a menu item in your BIOS that mentions 'Boot', I can't tell you exactly what it will say as it varies depending on what BIOS chip you have. If you go into the boot options you'll be able to set your CD drive as the first device in the order that it attempts to boot from. Save and exit, then try to boot off your Windows recovery CD again.
Thanks for that Macky, unfortunately it's still not working. The CD is loading (you can hear it whirring anyway) and the screen says "Windows is loading files" with a timer bar moving across the bottom. After that it goes to the usual start up screen with the small green timer bar with Microsoft Corporation underneath and then everything just goes blue with just the cursor on screen! Looking like I'll have to spend some money.

If windows is a write off why not try a new os you could boot a version of ubuntu

If windows is a write off why not try a new os you could boot a version of ubuntu

I could if i knew how, somewhat ignorant on this. Why would anther os boot when Windows and the recovery disk won't?

I could if i knew how, somewhat ignorant on this. Why would anther os boot when Windows and the recovery disk won't?

If you use an os that can boot from cd or USB stick it will be complete without damaged/missing files that you seem to have in your windows os.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669