Is this a good PC spec? Need to make a quick decision

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graz

Some of you may remember my PC problems.... well I've still not bought a new one after my desktop died a while back.

Someone is offering me their old PC for £100, which is probably less than mine would cost to get fixed.

The spec is:

2.4ghz Core 2 Duo Processor
2gb RAM
Nvidia Geforc GT220 1GB graphics card

No hard drive, but I could just take the one from my old PC. My old PC also has 4GB of RAM in it which I could potentially add some/all of to the new PC.

Thoughts? £100 sounds very cheap and I'm wondering if there is a reason for that. Trying to decide whether to go for it, or to wait and buy a whole new PC for £500ish.

Some of you may remember my PC problems.... well I've still not bought a new one after my desktop died a while back.

Someone is offering me their old PC for £100, which is probably less than mine would cost to get fixed.

The spec is:

2.4ghz Core 2 Duo Processor
2gb RAM
Nvidia Geforc GT220 1GB graphics card

No hard drive, but I could just take the one from my old PC. My old PC also has 4GB of RAM in it which I could potentially add some/all of to the new PC.

Thoughts? £100 sounds very cheap and I'm wondering if there is a reason for that. Trying to decide whether to go for it, or to wait and buy a whole new PC for £500ish.

No hard drive equals no operating system.

I wouldn't assume that Windows on your old HD will automatically work as there will be new hardware etc to contend with.

Unless of course you go the Linux route!

No hard drive equals no operating system.

I wouldn't assume that Windows on your old HD will automatically work as there will be new hardware etc to contend with.

Unless of course you go the Linux route!

I've got Windows discs for XP, Vista and 7 around, so no problem with that.

Got monitors, keyboards, mouse and speakers I can use.

If I was buying one, I wouldnt buy with an OS anyway

Just want to make sure this unit would be fast enough really

Games, Photoshop.... nothing too highly demanding, but I tend to have a lot of stuff open at once, particularly with having two screens, and don't like it to be crawling along.
It'll be alright. Nothing too special but it should be ok.

It'll be alright. Nothing too special but it should be ok.

Cheers. I'm coping on a crappy laptop at the minute anyway (which can't even run iTunes and Firefox together), so £90 is probably worth it. Then I could always buy a new PC in 6 months when I've saved a bit.

Cheers BM :)

Cheers. I'm coping on a crappy laptop at the minute anyway (which can't even run iTunes and Firefox together), so £90 is probably worth it. Then I could always buy a new PC in 6 months when I've saved a bit.

Cheers BM :)

If he has dropped it to £90 already I'd hang on a bit and wait for £50.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669