Joe Calzaghe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven

Congratulations on beating Hopkins in his own back yard. :038: :038: :038: :038: :038:

Yet another boxing match where I have only heard of one fighter.

Watched it on Setanta broadband, I thought Hopkins nicked it by a round. Calzaghe went forward a lot but didn't land many good clean shots. Every time he did, Hopkins came back with something.

I think Calzaghe should call it a day, especially at light heavyweight.

Last edited:
The only fight left for him that I'd watch. I hope he sticks to his word and bows out after that with his dignity and record in tact. A big risk going against Roy Jones Jnr, even if he's 40 by the time they got in the ring.

Roy Jones fights at light heavyweight though so I think Joe would struggle again.

Calzaghe is fine at light heavyweight. He has struggled for years cutting to super middleweight, the light heavy limit is just 7 pounds more, but makes it easier for him to make weight.

I think he was in his best shape for years, it was a poor fight, but Hopkins is a very negative fighter that makes many a fighter look poor.

Personally I think joe did just enough to win, if he fights Jones it will me a totally different match up. Much more fluid boxing, if he fights pavlik it would be a toe to toe tear up.

if he fights Jones it will me a totally different match up. Much more fluid boxing
Agreed, but Jones hits harder than hopkins which would be a big worry for me if I was in Calzaghe's camp. Calzaghe would undoubtedly be able to land many more punches than against Hopkins but he'd also take more, harder shots. Would be great to watch though.

if he fights Jones it will me a totally different match up. Much more fluid boxing
Agreed, but Jones hits harder than hopkins which would be a big worry for me if I was in Calzaghe's camp. Calzaghe would undoubtedly be able to land many more punches than against Hopkins but he'd also take more, harder shots. Would be great to watch though.

The usual addage applies - styles make fights. Calzaghe is a counter puncher with phenomenally quick hands, Hopkins is also a counter puncher that picks his shots. That's why it was a labourious fight. Jones comes forward like calzaghe so it makes for a better fight.

Roy Jones wouldn't worry me at all, pavlik is far more dangerous. As calzaghe will stand toe to toe!

Did they not say the same thing about Jeff Lacy and look where he ended up :102:

did anyone else notice that when joe floored him with the low punch, he went round the back and made out like he was shagging him up the arse. I laughed

Rayvon said:
Roy Jones wouldn't worry me at all

You'd take him would you Rayvon?:icon_bigg

On the contrary I think Pavlik is too slow and Calzaghe could pick him off easily on the way in like he did against Jeff Lacey, who granted seemed to come in face first without throwing punches. Jones is quicker and stronger than Pavlik and Hopkins. He'd be the one I'd be most worried about ko'ing Calzaghe.

:icon_bigg
Didn't watch it ls, saw the highlights.
Can't get into boxing at all.

No you can't but you can't get enough of oneboxer pretending to shag the other up the arse it seems.

No you can't but you can't get enough of oneboxer pretending to shag the other up the arse it seems.
I just thought it was funny, joe claiming his 'bitch' after all the "I'm not going to let a white boy beat me" stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566