Kasper Schmeichel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graz

Couldn't see where to put this and then decided he probably deserves his own thread.

Kasper played his 398th game for us yesterday - equalling the number of appearances his dad made for Man Utd.

This surprised me - I think I'm not alone in forgetting just how long Kasper has been here now. He's such a key part of the club.

Another club legend.

Couldn't see where to put this and then decided he probably deserves his own thread.

Kasper played his 398th game for us yesterday - equalling the number of appearances his dad made for Man Utd.

This surprised me - I think I'm not alone in forgetting just how long Kasper has been here now. He's such a key part of the club.

Another club legend.

Weirdly, the stat surprises me the other way round. I’m surprised Peter played that many games for Man Utd. Given that he moved to a few other clubs after he left them, I didn’t think he was there as long as Kasper has been with us.

Totally agree and feel he doesn't get the credit he deserves as he should be right up with with Big Wes and Vardy.

Best LCFC goalkeeper I have seen in my 35 years and assuming he avoids a serious/career shortening injury, I see no reason why he can't easily get to 500 appearances for us, if not 600 as there is still a good 5 years left in him, possibly even more.

He averaged 50 games a season, due to the number of cup games he played. Kasper has averaged 42 games a season for us.
Kasper has played a lot more league games than Peter did.
Makes sense.

Funnily enough I suggested he needed an appreciation thread during the Spurs match I think, but didn’t bother starting one. Typical Kasper crucial saves in each of the last three matches I think? (and yes this is making up for this error against Everton, before someone points it out)

He’s been superb. Like Vardy, we need a plan to succeed him, but he’s a high quality keeper.

I think its harder to plan for a successor to Schmeichel than it is Vardy.

Don't get me wrong - Vardy is harder to replace, but in theory we could get a younger striker in and give them minutes and sub appearances while Vardy is here (we haven't succeeded in this yet), whereas you're not going to do with a keeper - at best they can get some cup games.

To replace Kasper we will have to go and sign a quality keeper when he's finished here.

Realistically we will probably need to do the same with Vardy too.

I think its harder to plan for a successor to Schmeichel than it is Vardy.

Don't get me wrong - Vardy is harder to replace, but in theory we could get a younger striker in and give them minutes and sub appearances while Vardy is here (we haven't succeeded in this yet), whereas you're not going to do with a keeper - at best they can get some cup games.

To replace Kasper we will have to go and sign a quality keeper when he's finished here.

Realistically we will probably need to do the same with Vardy too.
Right you are. Feels to me like we have a critical season coming up where we need a big name for both at the end of their careers and have one phased season. And... if we get it wrong we’re toast. Brendan has his work cut out with that.

I'm not sure how good he actually is myself, but I believe the thought within the club is that Iverson could be good enough in 2 or 3 years. I don't think we are as optimistic about any of our young strikers.

Are we really all overlooking Danny Ward?

At the age of just 27 he’s already got one whole season of Championship football under his belt as well as two Premier League appearances, for Liverpool no less!

Are we really all overlooking Danny Ward?

At the age of just 27 he’s already got one whole season of Championship football under his belt as well as two Premier League appearances, for Liverpool no less!
Yep. He has filled me with zero confidence in his appearances for us in the cups. He’s not the long term solution.

Yep. He has filled me with zero confidence in his appearances for us in the cups. He’s not the long term solution.
I think he has been fine on the whole, when he's been called upon. Long term, with games under his belt, I think he'd be a good keeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4391
2Ipswich4389
3Leeds Utd4387
4Southampton4284
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4371
7Hull City4265
8Coventry City4263