Kevin Phillips on-switch, Leicester City's Jedi and the county with the linesmen

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Gwilliam

I I became a Leicester supporter when I ,moved to the city in the 1968-69 season when we lost the cup final and were relegated. I had been going to occasional First Division matches (usually Wolves) since the mid1950s. I will not go to another one.

On too many occasions when I have physically been unable to get to and especially from the ground. Usually I have been able to lend the ticket to a friend but twice ill health has come suddenly and my seat has been empty. This is wrong when there are waiting lists. I hope my seat will be taken by someone young who will use it for decades.

I know nothing of the private lives of the people where I sit but they are cheerful friendly and often funny. I have been pleased to see them and I think they have been pleased to see me. Everyone at the club - shop. tickets and stewards has been polite, cheerful and helpful.

I will continue to post here Although I have never posted anything I did not believe I have sometimes worded it to provoke. The exception has been about the bench. I have enjoyed creating fantasies about Castle Wasilewski. Pointing out that Steve Walsh Sr regularly had to leave the stands to show Kevin Phillips how to switch on the walkie talkie. Reporting the friendly banter between Nigel Pearson and the linesman - it was difficult overhear but Nigel seemed to feel that all the linesmen came from Kent. My belief that Steve Walsh Senior who radiated serenity was Leicester's own Jedi Knight. Above all I have laughed at Mr Stowell's energetic support. Here I feel is the right place to give credit to a man who has been listened to by all managers since the reign of Rob Kelly who wears his support on his sleeve and is visibly committed to the club. Some members clearly enjoyed my portraits of the bench which were intended to be affectionate - "mirth that hath no bitter springs" Yet a few people did find them offensive and one pompously said that I owed Dean Hammond an apology.

Well the atmosphere in the pub will be pleasant the beer will be cold and I will continue to post. However, to all those actually attending the matches I envy you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Ipswich4389
2Leicester4288
3Leeds Utd4387
4Southampton4284
5West Brom4372
6Norwich City4371
7Hull City4265
8Coventry City4263