Last Post Dean Hammond and my lack of street cred.

David Gwilliam

This will probably be my last post

Twice recently I have come close to joining the great football forum in the sky. I have on each occasion asked people to contact the forum to say how much I enjoyed being a member. I realised that when the time came they would forget. So here goes.

One terrible day when I was away from Leicester someone glanced at a mobile phone and said there has been a helicopter crash in Leicester. A hostess let me look at the BBC page which had very little detail. I then asked for the Talking Balls site. My hostess reasonably pointed out that it would not have any details not on the BBC. However. I needed to see what regulars had posted. It occurred to me then that the regular names for whom I felt affection They are not friends - you cannot have friends you would not recognise in the street. But it is a community and that is a good thing.

One surprise is the reaction to my gentle attempts at humour mainly targeted at Mike Stowell and Marcin Wasilewski. These sometimes brought outrage. At one point it was claimed that I owed Dean Hammond an apology.

Perhaps the strangest reply came from Mawsley who claimed that I was a fifty year old man living with my mother. No doubt it was intended to offend but it was too absurd to do anything but amuse. I left home in the early sixties, my mother died in 1990 and I am many decades past my fifties.

My favourite post came from M17. I had lamented my lack of street cred. He recommended a brand of headphones. Clearly if I strutted through Leicester wearing these I would become a babe magnet. I regret to say that this was greeted with female cries of "It will take more than headphones to give you street cred. "

I sign off now hoping the forum continues to flourish.

Perhaps the strangest reply came from Mawsley who claimed that I was a fifty year old man living with my mother. No doubt it was intended to offend but it was too absurd to do anything but amuse.
Much more likely that the comment was intended to amuse and only somebody looking for offence could be troubled by it.

Twice recently I have come close to joining the great football forum in the sky. I have on each occasion asked people to contact the forum to say how much I enjoyed being a member. I realised that when the time came they would forget. So here goes.

One terrible day when I was away from Leicester someone glanced at a mobile phone and said there has been a helicopter crash in Leicester. A hostess let me look at the BBC page which had very little detail. I then asked for the Talking Balls site. My hostess reasonably pointed out that it would not have any details not on the BBC. However. I needed to see what regulars had posted. It occurred to me then that the regular names for whom I felt affection They are not friends - you cannot have friends you would not recognise in the street. But it is a community and that is a good thing.

One surprise is the reaction to my gentle attempts at humour mainly targeted at Mike Stowell and Marcin Wasilewski. These sometimes brought outrage. At one point it was claimed that I owed Dean Hammond an apology.

Perhaps the strangest reply came from Mawsley who claimed that I was a fifty year old man living with my mother. No doubt it was intended to offend but it was too absurd to do anything but amuse. I left home in the early sixties, my mother died in 1990 and I am many decades past my fifties.

My favourite post came from M17. I had lamented my lack of street cred. He recommended a brand of headphones. Clearly if I strutted through Leicester wearing these I would become a babe magnet. I regret to say that this was greeted with female cries of "It will take more than headphones to give you street cred. "

I’m not sure how to respond to this, so I’ll just say take care DG and I wish you well. I’m glad you’ve enjoyed it on here, hopefully this won’t be your last post, but if it is, then thank you.

Take care DG. I wish you well.

Hello David.

That's a lovely message. You've summarised the peculiar experience of being part of an anonymous online community well. It is a strange truth that I spent more of my time on here than focused on the game on Friday night. A forum full of idiot opinions (most obviously my own) and somehow it pulls us in every time. Furthermore, I suspect that this place has done more to keep me as a front line City supporter than the club has.

You may be a doddery old fecker clinging onto life but I'm impressed that you've embraced this sort of place. It's a credit to you. I can't imagine moving with the times as well. Sometimes people online are not forgiving enough of those with different life experiences. The world moves too fast.

You've made it to 2023 and life is nothing if not batshit crazy. If your body is failing and your mind remains sharp, that's not a bad hand to have been dealt. It's better than the other way. If you have entered sudden death in the penalty shoot out of life, I hope that you have Jamie Vardy stepping up for you and not Dean Hammond.

Take care online friend x

Feel uncomfortable responding to this as I, like many struggle with the ongoing taboo that is death.

I wish you well and hope you may still be a substitute for a few more games, but whatever does await you, I hope that it isn’t as bad as being a Man City fan.

Look after yourself and thank you for your numerous posts.

Cambers x

I can only echo the sentiments of others DG. I’ve always enjoyed your posts, musings and memories. I hope your many years as a City fan and member of this forum have brought you joy and that you are comfortable and contended in the meantime.

All the best, take care.

All the best DG, but consider this…

If you can still post, and if it makes you happy, then why stop. We will all one day have our final post, but it doesn’t have to end with a declaration or fireworks. It can just be general bollocks. When you think about it, that is probably the most fitting end for a contribution to a forum of this kind.

I am sure there are lots like me who enjoy your contribution. If you want to keep going and you enjoy making that contribution you keep going and let the last post take care of itself.

If this really is the end, I wish you health and happiness for the rest of this crazy journey we are all on, and thank you for being part of this community of nutters.

God bless.

I can only echo the sentiments of others DG. I’ve always enjoyed your posts, musings and memories. I hope your many years as a City fan and member of this forum have brought you joy and that you are comfortable and contended in the meantime.

All the best, take care.
This. I can add no more

Stay safe DG.

I can't match the words of BN or SF, so I'll just wish you all the very best David.

I hope you've enjoyed the rollercoaster that is being a Leicester City fan. Thanks for being part of the TB community.

Best Wishes, Stephen!

Can only echo what others have posted above. Hang in there David, we've still got a chance for another FA Cup or Carabao Cup trophy this year!

Much of the same as the above David. Keep that happy, if not slightly sureal day from May '16 close in your thoughts for plenty more smiles in this life and the next.

DG, I hope you see this. Your posts are always entertaining and considered. They often contain amusing anecdotes and unexpected information are a joy to behold. You are a superb member of this forum and will always be remembered fondly.

Whatever/whenever comes to you; best wishes and peaceful times.

As I've said before David, I love the unique style of your posts. Always well written and intriguing. All the best in whatever lies ahead for you. Joe_Fox

You're right, it's odd how we view our online friends. I have mental pictures of many of you in my head, some even based on your avatars!! But as you rightly point out, online friends we'll remain.

Good luck on your journey David. Thanks for the many posts over the years, but as someone said why stop if it brings you joy? , I've enjoyed all the banter. Maybe see you along the road. Up the City.

You're right, it's odd how we view our online friends. I have mental pictures of many of you in my head, some even based on your avatars!! But as you rightly point out, online friends we'll remain.

Good luck on your journey David. Thanks for the many posts over the years, but as someone said why stop if it brings you joy? , I've enjoyed all the banter. Maybe see you along the road. Up the City.
However mental, it's nowhere near the real Homeywomeypants.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4490
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363
9Middlesbro4463
10Preston 4463