Pre Match Leeds v Leicester

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I invented my time machine in 2014 the first thing I did was nip forward & read this forum.

I landed on this very page as a random pick. I reckoned 6 years was long enough to see how well the club had progressed.

I remember thinking " ****. Premier League didn't last long then. I wonder when we got relegated? Same old ****ing Leicester"

Reality is weird sometimes.

Best way to play these is to be deep, compact, and break at pace.

we’ve shown we can be effective in that approach.

Inclined to agree and it'll be interesting to see how we approach this.

Leeds seem to be very much a modern era, high press and possession based team - the sort of team that's actually been sussed by savy managers. That is, as MA suggests, sit deep and be organised/compact and hit on the break. We've seen it used against us and we've used it to good effect, notably against Man City. Tbh, it's a tactic I like not least because it upsets Pep-alikes! And, at the moment, I think we're probably more likely to get something out of the game by playing that way.

One thing in our favour, possibly, is that they will probably be trying to win the game.

I don't think we've got the personnel to do the same job as we did against Arsenal and we don't have the same opposition. Bamford won't beat even Wes for pace if we sit with a relatively low line.
They don't have Kalvin Phillips available as their central defensive midfielder so i would get Iheanacho in as number10 pinning his replacement in and keeping him busy. And id have Barnes and Vardy on the break with Maddison tucked in on the right hand side.
Praet is good but will give legs later, and Under will be useful later to.

Schmeichel
Justin Fofana Evans Fuchs
Mendy Tielemans
Maddison Iheanacho Barnes
Vardy

so you move our best 10 to the wing to play Iheanacho who isn't nearly creative enough to play there? We've found Brendan's burner account

Assuming these are all fit, I think we'll see

Schmeichel

Albrighton
Fofana
Evans
Fuchs
Justin

Mendy
Tielemans

Maddison
Barnes

Vardy

Castagne is a big loss on top of the injuries we've already got... Really tough choosing between a back 4 or 5.

You'd think with the injuries we've got in defence it would be easier to go to a back four, but then that increases the exposure of the weaker elements of the backline - basically our full backs would look extremely weak.

Bielsa likes to set his teams up to have one more central defender than his opponents have strikers, so I think it'd be smart to pick a side flexible enough to go between a 4-2-3-1 and 5-3-2 midgame to keep them disoriented.
Something like
Schmeichel
James Evans Forfana Fuchs
Tielemans Mendy
Ihenacho Maddison Barnes
Vardy​
to become
Schmeichel
Albrighton Evans Forfana Fuchs James
Tielemans Mendy Maddison
Vardy Barnes​

Bielsa likes to set his teams up to have one more central defender than his opponents have strikers, so I think it'd be smart to pick a side flexible enough to go between a 4-2-3-1 and 5-3-2 midgame to keep them disoriented.
Something like
Schmeichel
James Evans Forfana Fuchs
Tielemans Mendy
Ihenacho Maddison Barnes
Vardy​
to become
Schmeichel
Albrighton Evans Forfana Fuchs James
Tielemans Mendy Maddison
Vardy Barnes​
James is on loan at Barnsley.

I've got a monkey on Pedantic Bastard in the 345 at Ascot tomorrow.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757