Post Match Leicester 0 Chelsea 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those comments from Brendan are simply not good enough. I can’t imagine that Top is reading that thinking “he’s right, that’s it we are done, back to midtable mediocrity for us”

Brendog is going to feel a right plum when Man Utd appoint Zidane.

It’s a period now where it is my responsibility to lead us through it and I am very confident I can, but on this day we were beaten by a better team.
That sounds like a man who is expecting to be sacked or certainly not like somebody who is about to be poached by a 'big club'.

Antonio Rudiger in the post match interview:

“We knew they were vulnerable on set pieces”.

Well it’s good that someone knows. Shame our manager doesn’t.

I am concerned by anything with a tone of ‘we are punching above our weight’ or ‘we have overachieved’.

Two reasons…

First, you are encouraging under achievement and suggesting that the level of performance now is ‘about right’ for us. I cannot imagine going to work on Monday calling a staff meeting and letting everyone know after a mediocre job that this is the best we can do. Nope. No way. If you don’t push for better and encourage achievement it won’t happen. People either self motivate or they coast. The only surefire way of getting something resembling consistency is to set standards and call people out who don’t meet them.

Secondly, this rhetoric is a total abdication of responsibility. It sounds very much to me like a man who is living in a fantasy world. When we play to our capability we are in with a great shout of beating anyone. That is the potential that is there. It is a team that can go on a great run. Now it sounds to me like Brendan is happy to label that as ‘overachieving’ but take the credit for it and claim it as great management. The concerning thing is now it isn’t going his way he is abdicating responsibility for it. It’s okay and it’s not my fault because this is our ‘true level’.

it begs the question Brendan. If we are capable of punching above our weight and challenging the top 4, whose responsibility is it when we don’t. If you want the credit and you want to claim the past success, you have to own the current failure. If you can’t do that it probably is time at the bar.

And very finally I won’t be an apologist for this… our recent signings are championship standard. Someone uncorked the bottle and the genie ****ed off.

And very finally I won’t be an apologist for this… our recent signings are championship standard. Someone uncorked the bottle and the genie ****ed off.
Said this to someone yesterday. It’s not just this summer’s signings either. Since Rodgers and Congerton arrived we’ve signed 13 players for the first team. Two are definite hits: Tielemans, who was already here, and Fofana. Two others, Justin and Castagne, have been somewhat successful. Three have been loans: Bennett (useless), Ünder (failure), and Lookman (verdict pending). Praet was a barely-mitigated failure, with Bertrand and Vestergaard ready to join him on that list. Pérez is just about Premier League standard. We’ve not seen enough of Daka and Soumaré yet but so far to me this past summer looks like 25% success at best.

Our transfer strategy has disintegrated into complete shit since serial failure Lee Congerton took charge.

Said this to someone yesterday. It’s not just this summer’s signings either. Since Rodgers and Congerton arrived we’ve signed 13 players for the first team. Two are definite hits: Tielemans, who was already here, and Fofana. Two others, Justin and Castagne, have been somewhat successful. Three have been loans: Bennett (useless), Ünder (failure), and Lookman (verdict pending). Praet was a barely-mitigated failure, with Bertrand and Vestergaard ready to join him on that list. Pérez is just about Premier League standard. We’ve not seen enough of Daka and Soumaré yet but so far to me this past summer looks like 25% success at best.

Our transfer strategy has disintegrated into complete shit since serial failure Lee Congerton took charge.
And it’s entirely predictable too, because Congerton has a proven track record ranging from mediocrity to all out car crash.

We've had a horrific amount of injuries and signed some absolutely rubbish..

I'm surprised the club has allowed one person to shape so many different parts of it. (If rumors are to be believed)
We've lost people from both the medical team and the scouting team and replaced them with BR recommendations.
A health tension between these departments surely helps drive a successful club....rather than yes men.

(Of course, I have absolutely no inside knowledge this is what happened/is happening)

I was just pondering.

On current form, are there three worse teams than us in the PL?

Even Norwich have won their last two. We're 45/1 to go down. I don't think those odds are right.

I was just pondering.

On current form, are there three worse teams than us in the PL?

Even Norwich have won their last two. We're 45/1 to go down. I don't think those odds are right.

Depends what you're taking as 'current form'.

Most places count the form table as last 6, which has 11th in the form table - so yes, there are more than three teams worse than us.

Last 5 games we're 9th
Last 4 games we're 14th

I don't think you can talk about 'current form' as being less than 5 games, but if you're only looking at last 3 we're 20th and last 2 we're 18th (Everton and Man Utd below us).

Most importantly, we're 11th overall. 6 points ahead of the relegation zone, 5 points off of 5th (8pts off 4th). We aren't playing well, but are nowhere near facing a relegation scrap!

Depends what you're taking as 'current form'.

Most places count the form table as last 6, which has 11th in the form table - so yes, there are more than three teams worse than us.

Last 5 games we're 9th
Last 4 games we're 14th

I don't think you can talk about 'current form' as being less than 5 games, but if you're only looking at last 3 we're 20th and last 2 we're 18th (Everton and Man Utd below us).

Most importantly, we're 11th overall. 6 points ahead of the relegation zone, 5 points off of 5th (8pts off 4th). We aren't playing well, but are nowhere near facing a relegation scrap!

Thanks for the reassurance.

In response I can only say that I've assessed all the variables and decided that we're doomed.

Just placed some of my winnings from Saturday on us going down. Free season ticket for the Championship is good insurance.

Thanks for the reassurance.

In response I can only say that I've assessed all the variables and decided that we're doomed.

Just placed some of my winnings from Saturday on us going down. Free season ticket for the Championship is good insurance.
I do think it’s fair to say all the relegation threatened teams look poised to make a better fist of it than initially anticipated.

Dean Smith will improve Norwich.
We all know what Claudio is capable of.
Gerrard will keep Villa safe.
Cornet looks a brilliant signing for Burnley.
Brentford are struggling but have shown they can compete.

I think we will be fine, but if we do somehow get sucked into it, I’m not sure we’ve got the bollocks to dig ourselves out.

Pretty shit.

BUT against that nobody else was playing Chelsea.

They've conceded 3 goals from open play in their last 16 games. Defensively they're on a different planet. it's a struggle to even create a chance against them much less score.

We're shit. But not as shit as that makes us look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757