Post Match Leicester 0 Newcastle 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disappointed. Teams that defend like that are always tough to break down and I reckon any team would've struggled against Newcastle tonight. So fair play to Newcastle and credit where it's deserved.

We did ourselves few favours though. They were defending narrow and we allowed them go narrower. Our 'wingers' were inside forwards, Gray particularly. Newcastle could stay tight and crowd us out. Everyone could see it, except us it seems.

Oh, and I could have sworn we brought Iheanacho on.

I’ve said it before (and been ridiculed), but I’ll say it again. I’d love to sign Rondon as a target man option for games like this. It was clear early on that our tactic of trying to feed the ball to Vardy wasnt going to work, but we had no Plan B.

We should have signed him instead of Slimani a couple of years ago, and should have signed him when he was available in the summer.

Perhaps the one we played against today?

I'd be very happy with that, thought it during the game tonight. Big, strong and still pretty quick. Would fit well in our team.

I actually think it's part of Nacho's problem too. We stick him on when we need a goal but that usually means Plan A isn't working. But he doesn't offer anything different as a Plan B.

We need a plan B of some kind. If we can't pass through teams lumping it towards a big man might be an option. We can't do that at the moment unless we play a defender up front.

Exactly. No matter what changes we made tonight, we're still trying to tap it into feet when their defenders are behind the ball because it's the only option we've got. None of our front 6 are particularly going to win headers. Vardy has a good header when the ball is whipped into him but he's not going to win backed up against a CB.

Puel shipping out Ulloa and Slimani and not replacing them was a huge error.

Well that was both exhausting and disappointing. Personally I think the only players who put in a shift were Maguire and Morgan. Thought Ndidi was particularly poor, Tielemans not up to his recent self. Maddison had spurts of genius but overall our passing - poor, SO poor! Maybe others saw better in players but I didn't notice them. The feeling around me was that this was a nailed-on three points but ended up anything but. I hope this isn't 'honeymoon over' and just a blip. Maybe the game was better than I perceived though - I did pile through three pints pre-match and two at the break!!

NOTE: Interesting tactical move to reduce us to ten men by bringing Nacho on. The usual non-appearance. Lets face it, he's not in need of a confidence boost, he's not out of form, he's not looking for a different system. He's just ****ing shit. Man City have done us over there. Just get rid & take the loss. He's worthless.
Bang on. I have been trying and trying to give him a chance but nah, shit. His only contribution tonight was an offside from a good cross. so none.

I thought Vardy was the poorest I've seen him for some time.

Whenever we lose because we struggle to break through defences we see this kind of comment. What else could he do today with no service getting through? He actually got himself into some good positions, and on occasions tracked back and got a few good passes going himself.

Vardy wasn’t the problem today, and rarely is.

I actually think it's part of Nacho's problem too. We stick him on when we need a goal but that usually means Plan A isn't working. But he doesn't offer anything different as a Plan B.
Bang on.

Iheanacho offered nothing today, but neither did Vardy. Iheanacho should not be our Plan B for Vardy.

Well that was absolutely feckin hopeless

A hopeless, clueless bag of shite from start to finish

And please don’t give me ‘ooh a tactical masterpiece from Newcastle, fair play to them blah blah blah’. Cobblers. They stuck ten men behind the ball and just sat there. We were just hopeless

Vardy was very poor, Ndidi was awful, and Tielemans in the wrong place doing the wrong thing time and time again

Barnes simply didn’t know where to put himself - inside, outside, nowhere near. Gray wandered about without a clue - he was truly feckin rubbish. Those two might as well have sat down on the touch line, for all the value they added.

But a special mention must go to Ben Chilwell. He stunk the place out something rotten. An awful, woeful, pathetic performance of sheer incompetence.

Very disappointed that Rodgers didn’t seem to have any clue of how to change it. Bringing on Nacho was really a quite ludicrous idea - hopefully he will have learnt not to do that ever again. It needed some major surgery to do something completely different, and he really didn’t do anything.

Very very disappointing indeed

NOTE: Interesting tactical move to reduce us to ten men by bringing Nacho on. The usual non-appearance. Lets face it, he's not in need of a confidence boost, he's not out of form, he's not looking for a different system. He's just ****ing shit. Man City have done us over there. Just get rid & take the loss. He's worthless.

I can forgive you for missing it, because as usual he was a ****ing waste of space, but it was Gray that went off, so we were already with 10 men.

I've never seen a player with such an incredible talent for marking himself out of games as Gray, he did it incredibly tonight.

Still, the potential, the potential.

P.s.

Chilwell was a ****ing disgrace tonight.

I genuinely don't think he likes Barnes as he makes the game so difficult for him it's unbelievable.

Barnes will be dreaming of the left back he had at WBA based on Ben's pathetic approach to the game since BR took over.

Should have dragged him for Fuchs as soon as possible to give him a lesson

Chilwell was really poor. They all were.

It was a very bad performance and we got what we deserved.

I was disappointed in Rodgers’ changes too. I would have liked to have seen Fuchs on and saw no point at all in bringing on Mendy.

Shit game and performance.

Watching a fairly standard BBC4 music doc and I reckon James Maddison is a dead ringer for a young Glenn Campbell.

Well that was absolutely feckin hopeless

A hopeless, clueless bag of shite from start to finish

And please don’t give me ‘ooh a tactical masterpiece from Newcastle, fair play to them blah blah blah’. Cobblers. They stuck ten men behind the ball and just sat there. We were just sat there.

Very disappointed that Rodgers didn’t seem to have any clue of how to change it. Bringing on Nacho was really a quite ludicrous idea - hopefully he will have learnt not to do that ever again.

Firstly - just quickly - didn’t watch or listen to the game, so I’m not in a good place to comment. However.

A\ if Benitez has figured out that we can’t break down ten men behind the ball, shouldn’t he get at least some kudos for tactical nous?

B\ Iheanacho is not proving any kind of point for himself. He’s not really making any kind of impact.

Also - I like Rondon. I think Benitez has done a very good job of turning him into a “proper” premier league striker and he seems to be doing well. Would Puel have been able to turn him round? No. Would Rodgers? Not sure.

Let’s remember Rodgers has not had a great amount of time with the team, and he’s a somewhat tactically naive manager (which was many Liverpool fans’ gripe)

If we win the games we should win (“in theory”) and lose few that we don’t expect (as most top teams do!), we’ll be better off than we were under Puel.
Wasn’t that the point?

It was a tactical masterclass in how to set up against teams that are better than you. They won't win any trophies playing like that week in week out but it's enough to frustrate teams and pick up enough to survive. Brendan didn't have the answers and that's the most disappointing thing from tonight. It was apparent at half time that something needed to change. Again we weren't able to adapt mid game when plan A doesn't work. Every defeat is an opportunity to learn so hopefully we'll do just that..

I think it's incredibly harsh to get onto Chilwell's back. So much was expected of him. He must have bombed up and down that side 100 times and he kept getting the ball. Yes, he made mistakes but because he was the only player with space and a threat, errors were inevitable.

Gray, Tielemans and Vardy were well off the pace and when most of your attacking players are not delivering, and not mobile enough, it made us a very limited team.

I was very interested to hear Rodgers talk about not having the right sort of midfield for that type of opposition. He clearly has plans to add in that area.

The Newcastle fullbacks did a great job of stopping any threat from Gray and Barnes. They didn't let them turn and run at them at all and completely nullified them. Credit for there full backs for being so tight.
They then packed the middle and didn't give Vardy or Maddison any space in dangerous areas.

It was very well executed and not just '10 men behind the ball'.

We've said for the last few years we need a 'plan B', Disappointingly in trying to move away from one style of play that won us the league we've just moved from one style of play to another and still have no Plan B. I blame Puel for that. Rodgers needs to sort it out.

Rondon would be a great signing.

He must have bombed up and down that side 100 times
And therein lies the problem. Barnes was effectively null and void because Chilwell played the winger. He has been doing it week in week out for a month or so now and it's causing issues both defensively and up top. I think he's a good player and is learning his craft but he can't just bomb up the wing without a plan only to lose the ball or float it out of play. He stank the place out tonight.

Whenever we lose because we struggle to break through defences we see this kind of comment. What else could he do today with no service getting through? He actually got himself into some good positions, and on occasions tracked back and got a few good passes going himself.

Vardy wasn’t the problem today, and rarely is.
It wasn't just about service today. His first touch was so poor and his passing even poorer. It's a rarity for him to have a bad game so he gets a pass from me but that wasn't the same kind of sharpness we have seen from him of late.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757