Post Match Leicester 0 Slavia Prague 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
While we're talking about all the players that we're shit tonight. How about tielemans? He was terrible. Didn't get involved, didn't control the game. You need the big players to turn up and he was shit.
He was playing a completely different role. A square leg in a round hole. It was never, ever going to work. Ünder should have started there with Tielemans in the places he has excelled game after game. It was a masterstroke of ****uppery by Brendan.

He was playing a completely different role. A square leg in a round hole. It was never, ever going to work. Ünder should have started there with Tielemans in the places he has excelled game after game. It was a masterstroke of ****uppery by Brendan.
Agreed. I’m not sure whether he over-thought it, or was just extremely arrogant.

"If we had to prioritise, they (the Premier League and the FA Cup) were the two we would want to do well in. We wanted to do well in the Europa League, but now we can focus on the Premier League and FA Cup." - Brendan Rodgers

**** the ****ing FA cup.

I do hope it was planned and deliberate to be playing at 60% for 70 minutes... because we achieved that admirably! Plus, I can't other wise figure why we were so poor.

They out ran and out fought us. They ought be duly proud that their game plan paid off. We didn't really trouble them (oh, how I wonder 'what if' had Albrighton put that early chance away at their place) and but for some poor finishing, they would have scored more.

So where did we go wrong? Being throttled at 60% certainly explains a lot. Key players didn't have bad games. Cags had a couple of moments but was otherwise OK. I share concerns others have said about Vardy. Evans was pedestrian but comfortable. Ndidi had a good game albeit not his usual 'everywhere'. Players that came in a should have put in a performance (out of self promotion) but didn't. We could have done with Hamza and Under ceasing the opportunity - they could have done with it, if they had genuine aspirations. Amartey rarely does well at fullback and didn't disappoint, so I'm not critical. He's not at the level we need I feel, he ought move on.

No, what I saw as the problem was what I thought was fatigue - particularly from the out-of-position Tielemens. Players either incapable of putting in the effort or not wanting to. Neither options pleased me. So the thought that it was because of orders from on-high sits more easily with me. We chucked it

I get why were annoyed at the poor performance by the whole team not just one or two, but let's be realistic unless we had a fully fit squad, we signed a decent 2nd striker and Under happened to be the new Riyad Mahrez we were never going to win this competition.

If we won last night but Barnes or Tilemans got injured and was out for 6 weeks would that of been an acceptable outcome ?

The money available for being in the champions league is what has made this competition the 3rd on the priority list.

Even if we got to the finals the t.v screen is the nearest we would of got to the game, and to think when we go back next season we will hopefully be in the champions league where we can actually go and watch live.

At the beginning of the season how many of us would of taken a top 4 finish and a potential f.a Cup final appearance.

It was a shit 2 games and a shit 2 performances but hey ho let's move on and beat Arsenal. Oh and if we win and other results go our way we could open up a decent gap to 5th spot.

The most disappointing thing for me is that I just don't really see a point in the whole thing any more.

If as Leicester City we aren't taking our 3rd proper European experience seriously then i'm afraid it makes the league a simple money exercise. The sporting intent, the desire to actually win something on a big scale isn't the main motivator.

If we don't have a ****ing ridiculous collapse again then I look forward to us making the CL for absolutely no other reason than to make the club a bit of cash. Which as a supporter is seriously depressing.

BR will never get a proper big club like everyone is banging on about because he's a serial loser on European level, which is a level most other clubs rightly take seriously.

Last night was embarrassing for the club, regardless of whether it allows us to focus on winning the FA Cup in front of no fans.

The single most frustrating thing about reading the post match threads is the volatility of all the feelings towards the team and Brendan game by game. We play well - It's brilliant - Albrighton is the best player in the squad - Brendan is a tactical genius - Vardy's still got the ability to kill any defence. Life's great - even in this shit show of a global pandemic

But if we lose - it's utter despair. Albrighton wouldn't get in a championship team. Brendan was lucky to win a pub league in Scotland, Vardy belongs in a care home...

I wish people would get some perspective. This game was shite. in retrospect you could argue a different team selection would have been better. Nobody played well (it happens.- it just doesn't click sometimes - and actually it's happening to every team at the minute except Man City). At least it's not a European competition where we were all travelling to watch the games.

If we beat Arsenal - this competition and this game will be totally forgotten on here. If we don't - jeez - its the start of the apocalypse.

No one player or the manager will be proud of that performance but they deal with it and move on. They've done it before and it will happen again.

Have a good weekend guys!

If as Leicester City we aren't taking our 3rd proper European experience seriously then i'm afraid it makes the league a simple money exercise. The sporting intent, the desire to actually win something on a big scale isn't the main motivator.
Yes, I think that's the context you have to look at it in. A 'money making exercise' is a factor, and we can quibble over the exact percentage of it as a part of motivation, but we'd be naive to overlook it entirely.

It hurts me too. As I've said before, I want to win everything. But then I have to be honest here, I watch it all for free. The point I'm making is that if I had to put my hand in my own pocket to fund it then there's a limit - and the club are constrained by the same factors.

I'm not saying that it's lip service from the club for them to say they want to win this or that, of course they want to win. They just have to balance that with potential revenues, and make a calculation as to how much they want to spend (in terms of actual dosh and player involvement) in pursuit of it. Yes, it is depressing.

The single most frustrating thing about reading the post match threads is the volatility of all the feelings towards the team and Brendan game by game. We play well - It's brilliant - Albrighton is the best player in the squad - Brendan is a tactical genius - Vardy's still got the ability to kill any defence. Life's great - even in this shit show of a global pandemic

But if we lose - it's utter despair. Albrighton wouldn't get in a championship team. Brendan was lucky to win a pub league in Scotland, Vardy belongs in a care home...

I wish people would get some perspective. This game was shite. in retrospect you could argue a different team selection would have been better. Nobody played well (it happens.- it just doesn't click sometimes - and actually it's happening to every team at the minute except Man City). At least it's not a European competition where we were all travelling to watch the games.

If we beat Arsenal - this competition and this game will be totally forgotten on here. If we don't - jeez - its the start of the apocalypse.

No one player or the manager will be proud of that performance but they deal with it and move on. They've done it before and it will happen again.

Amen.

When’s the 17th place playoff?

This game was shite.
In a nutshell. You won't find much, if any, disagreement there!

That some of us want to understand why it was shit before moving on is OK too. Rodgers' team will certainly be pouring over it to see what can be learnt. I'm not suggesting we go to those lengths but I think it OK to look for concerns, particularly given last year's collapse and the game coming up.

For myself, I'm coming around to the "we chucked it" pithy, and equally concise, epithet I suggested earlier.

Football and its priorities have changed all English teams strive to be in the Premier league and for the majority of those clubs once they are there a successful season is just staying up, the bigger clubs the priority is to qualify for the champions league.

Winning a cup is just a bonus along the way, its all about money now and the European super league will happen its just a question of time.

We can either try and be a part of it and be among the best in the world or we can be like Forest or Sheffield Wednesday or dozens of other once big clubs and drift of into the wilderness that have been forgotten about.

It's sad but this is what the creation of the premier league has achieved and its only going to get worse.

Leicesters owners clearly want to be part of the elite and its debatable amongst the fans if they want this I would suspect the newer younger supporters would.

Football and its priorities have changed all English teams strive to be in the Premier league and for the majority of those clubs once they are there a successful season is just staying up, the bigger clubs the priority is to qualify for the champions league.

Winning a cup is just a bonus along the way, its all about money now and the European super league will happen its just a question of time.

We can either try and be a part of it and be among the best in the world or we can be like Forest or Sheffield Wednesday or dozens of other once big clubs and drift of into the wilderness that have been forgotten about.

It's sad but this is what the creation of the premier league has achieved and its only going to get worse.

Leicesters owners clearly want to be part of the elite and its debatable amongst the fans if they want this I would suspect the newer younger supporters would.
Would you swap where we are now for the Megson & Holloway era?

What upsets me about last night is the manner of the defeat. We didn't look like we wanted it or believed we could win.

I can accept that we lost, there are no easy games at this stage of a European competition, and with our injuries defeat was perhaps predictable.

I could also have accepted if we had blown the competion off played the kids and rested more players. I wouldn't have been happy but I would understand.

"If we had to prioritise, they (the Premier League and the FA Cup) were the two we would want to do well in. We wanted to do well in the Europa League, but now we can focus on the Premier League and FA Cup." - Brendan Rodgers

**** the ****ing FA cup.

It's the right priority though, particularly with where we are.

The league is BY FAR the biggest priority we have, and then the others need to slot in around that.

If we get to the FA Cup Final, we have 3 more games max left in that competition - including the one we already have to play, since we're already in the Quarter Finals.
To get to the Europa League final adds another 7 games to our season still from now.

We definitely haven't got the squad to play an additional 10 games this season, or even the 8 if we gave up on the FA Cup in our next game.

The league is absolute number one priority. Progression in the other cups is a nice to have if we can. The FA Cup has less games so makes sense as a second priority. You also get less time to recover after Europa League games and more travelling involved, so it's more likely to impact league form.

Not to mention the more realistic chance of winning the FA Cup vs Europa League anyway... (before last night - FA Cup is definitely more likely now!)

It's a shame to go out, but Brendan made the right decision to protect players.

I don't think we ought we ought see it as a simple equation; that is, don't want to win = play the kids. It's a little more nuanced than that.

The club wanted to win - but only wanted to 'invest' so much in trying to achieve that. That investment wasn't just in terms of team selection but also, seemingly, how much effort the manager wanted the selected players to put in. I'm told we've all got our price. It'd certainly explain the popularity of Tesco's white sliced bread.

Would you swap where we are now for the Megson & Holloway era?
No.

It was the point I was trying to make, I have sold my soul to the football devil I want to watch Leicester in the champions league and European super league, **** being Coventry, Derby, Forest, Birmingham Etc Etc living of scraps at the bottom of the pond

Exactly this. Look at the other teams in Europe - Man City had incredible squad depth, United are having a season with no injuries like we did when we won it, Arsenal and Spurs aren't fighting in the league so it's their only hope of champions League football, Liverpool are struggling in the league and are out of the FA cup. Spurs and Arsenal are also out of the FA cup, so this is their only chance at silverware and at least one of them will still be disappointed.

With our squad depth and injuries we should be excited by where we are in the league.

I agree with Lako about it not being about competition anymore, but I reached that point a long time ago. Unless you happen to get great owners, the league has been about just finishing as high as possible for the money for decades. There is no real competition left in terms of winning things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Ipswich4389
2Leicester4288
3Leeds Utd4387
4Southampton4284
5West Brom4372
6Norwich City4371
7Hull City4265
8Coventry City4263