Post Match Leicester 2 West Ham 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm hoping the almost universal condemnation of the ineptitude of the refereeing will come to bear on ignoring Vardy's response. But then, given the manner he approached the match yesterday, Moss probably didn't see it.

Does anyone know when the refs report goes in from yesterday's game?

I wish I could be as confident as you that Spurs won't win all their games. They could very easily win all 5 from what I can see.

Of course they could. They'll be favourites for each one too. But that doesn't mean they will and football rarely works that way. It's hardly an outlandish claim to say it's likely they'll draw one of their remaining games. If they do it means we only need to win two games - so where we would have been had we won yesterday. I don't think they'll drop points tonight, for what it's worth. But I don't see them winning every match and I do see us winning our remaining home games. I'm pretty optimistic about our two remaining away games too, especially the final one.

The interview with Spurs stalwart Gary Mabbutt on the Radio 4 today programme at 8.30 had me reaching for the off button, until it became apparent he too was givng the ref both barrels. He was particularly heavy on the Vardy second yellow, which he was adamant was a penalty. Also advocated a zero tolerance on the fouling at set pieces - penalties and cards from the word go next season - though what you do about the "flying wedge" that WHU were using yesterday, not so sure.

I think it was Vardy's first booking that the ref got wrong. He was far too card happy early doors and that made his job even more difficult in the second half. Vardy can have no complaints, he clearly tried to engineer the penalty and in that situation you either get the penalty or the booking for diving. We were looking pretty solid until that point.

Now we he will be big loss for the Swansea game. Personally I'd give serious thought to starting Gray on right mid and putting Mahrez up front with Okazaki or Leo. Mahrez might just have that little bit of magic in him that we need and he has been a bit off form for the last few games, so might do him good to have a bit of a change....

First yellow for Vardy was ridiculous. Second was blatant and well deserved, and his reaction was nothing short of stupid. Did he think the ref would change his mind?

Both penalties were a farce.

Looking at the Vardy second card, he was clearly being pulled back by the West Ham player before he went down. Whilst he may have gone down a little spectacularly, for me, the foul was committed before then by being pulled back so it was a penalty and no booking (except maybe for the WHU player).

Vardy's reaction to his second yellow was stupid though and if his suspension is extended he can have no argument. That might cost us more than any of yesterday's refereeing decisions.

Vardy was caught in the moment and more than likely feeding of the vibes from the crowd.

The lad is human and pumped with adrenaline at that point. He actually gives a flying **** so I wont lambast him for his reaction, mine was worse.

Vardy's reaction was stupid, but it would be beyond annoying if he gets a longer ban for a reaction to a ridiculous sending off.

The more I watch the 'dive' the more I'm convince he didn't. Yes he went looking for it, but there was contact, the player had hold of him too. No penalty I'm fine with, but play on. Not a dive, just a coming together.

I'm more bothered about his first booking. I don't even think it was a foul. And to give a penalty for Reud's tumble, which was every bit as much of a dive as Vardy's, was truly disgraceful. Worst display I've seen since Remi Harrel. And Harrel was bent.

Looking at the Vardy second card, he was clearly being pulled back by the West Ham player before he went down. Whilst he may have gone down a little spectacularly, for me, the foul was committed before then by being pulled back so it was a penalty and no booking (except maybe for the WHU player).
My thoughts exactly. His reaction said everything.

The ref was so shockingly bad that it's difficult to know where to start. He is quite unfit to ref at a professional level.

Grappling players in the penalty box - i.e. fouling - goes on all the time in the English game and referees usually tolerate it. There is no logic for allowing this - but this guy can't come along and inconsistently try to apply the strict interpretation of the law.

As for Vardy, he was unlucky with the ref but misguided in first diving and then reacting- and there will likely be a heavy price for this.

I'm afraid it's all too common for refs to decide they had better try to even up poor decisions. Our late penalty was just an extreme example. He might have just as well stopped the play in the last minute and told the players that he was feeling bad about his errors so he was going to award Leicester a goal as compensation.

I think - and hope - that our players will be well psyched up by this affair an will give a tremsndous reaction next Sunday.

Vardy's reaction was stupid, but it would be beyond annoying if he gets a longer ban for a reaction to a ridiculous sending off.

The more I watch the 'dive' the more I'm convince he didn't. Yes he went looking for it, but there was contact, the player had hold of him too. No penalty I'm fine with, but play on. Not a dive, just a coming together.

I agree. Where I sat, I was one of the closest fans to the penalty incident.

Vardy was going at a terrific speed and our first reaction was that it must be a penalty.

Having watched the TV footage, it's clear Vardy tries to shield the ball by moving into the West Ham player's path. There is a tangle of legs and at that speed he is going to go down. He has to dive, not to win a penalty but to protect himself from serious injury if he falls badly.

The referee was totally inept. I felt he had an agenda against us. Whether that was his own decision or an instruction from above, who knows?

In the first half, there was a really bad foul on one of our players, possibly Drinkwater. It warranted a yellow card but the ref wasn't even looking in that direction so he totally missed it.

...The referee was totally inept. I felt he had an agenda against us. Whether that was his own decision or an instruction from above, who knows?

In the first half, there was a really bad foul on one of our players, possibly Drinkwater. It warranted a yellow card but the ref wasn't even looking in that direction so he totally missed it.

Hesitating to defend the wretch, but when both Simpson and Drinkwater went in heavy on Payet inside the first ten minutes and escaped any censure (Simpson's wasn't even called a foul), seems to suggest the paranoia theory doesn't quite work.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758