Post Match Leicester 2 Wigan 0 (FA Cup R3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very dull game. Wigan had little to offer other than a poorly defended goal which looked very close.

we got through even without a striker
Benkovic looked assured. Barnes ended a goal drought.
All fine and dandy. On to the next one.

Decent performance, Wigan will count themselves unlucky with the deflection, the own goal and the close VAR call but over all we controlled the game and were good value for the win. Benkovic did ok, needs to work on his passing for damn sure. Mendy was surprisingly good again. Wigan created two good chances but other than that, not a lot else.

1 maybe 2 centre halves needed, particularly if we need flex to play a back 3. Fuchs could do a job but not long term as part of a 2.
I think we will be in for 2 defenders and a forward who can play wide and central. I can see why we were looking at Sarr who Watford have back before the season started. Need to find a better version of him on the market!

Leicester manager Brendan Rodgers told BBC Sport: "They are a good side and we got a very good result and go into the next round but we did not play particularly well. We need to be better than that.

"The players gave everything and defensively we were good but offensively we were too static. I couldn't fault the mentality of the team, as always it was top class, but we demand more quality.

"The players have been immense in this period. It has been a tough schedule and I've tried to manage them. Now we look to the next game. Our ambition is to be competitive whether it's the league or it's in the cup competitions."

Wigan manager Paul Cook told BBC Sport: "It was a good game, Leicester are absolute quality and to watch them up close and personal made me shit myself.

"It would've been nice if we could've nicked a goal. We just wish Leicester well and we will concentrate on the league.

"You are always holding your breath at places like this with what I'd done in my pants. I was pleased with our lads, we have had a tough schedule and our players can be proud of how they have performed and conducted themselves today."

Good stuff from Rodgers demanding more. I think we played pretty well but the quality was not up to our usual standards, but did anyone expect anything different when Tielemans, Vardy, Maddison etc etc were out? Clearly yes - Brendan expects those standards from the fringe players right through the squad and that's good to hear.

Wigan manager Paul Cook told BBC Sport: "It was a good game, Leicester are absolute quality and to watch them up close and personal made me shit myself.

"It would've been nice if we could've nicked a goal. We just wish Leicester well and we will concentrate on the league.

"You are always holding your breath at places like this with what I'd done in my pants. I was pleased with our lads, we have had a tough schedule and our players can be proud of how they have performed and conducted themselves today."
I suspect you’ve edited this a little.

Best performance of the evening was from the 30k that showed up.

The game itself was very dull. Benkovic and Morgan picking up injuries being the main concern.

Nobody impressed me but a win is a win. Wigan were dire.

How the feck can Windass have a son playing? Didn't he only retire a year or so ago? Shit, I'm getting old.

After today Morgan is a day older, Benkovic is another day wiser. I felt Wes played below par today. He allowed several balls to run across him, only to find he'd misjudged their pace. Benkovic appears very green, but he's not a bomb scare.

I felt that Mendy played far better than I recalled him playing previously. He was workmanlike and competent. He always seemed to be available.

I was surprised when Fuchs was introduced. He seemed to be striped, ready to come on and only then was he given the playbook to look at. Is this the norm?

Thought we were collectively poor.
Perez is a very important player for us and we missed him.

Thought we were collectively poor.
Perez is a very important player for us and we missed him.
We didn’t miss just one player in that match, there was very little coherence all the way through the pitch. We played 0 creative midfielders, 0 strikers, and exactly what we needed to get through.
Can’t judge anything on that performance really.

I enjoyed a pretty boring game.

It is a sign of the difference, under Rodgers, that we never looked likely to get any result, other than a win. We looked superior to a lower league opposition which, is something that we haven't always achieved, even in recent years.

I enjoyed a pretty boring game.

It is a sign of the difference, under Rodgers, that we never looked likely to get any result, other than a win. We looked superior to a lower league opposition which, is something that we haven't always achieved, even in recent years.

Helps when Albrighton keep his hands in his pockets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4490
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363