Post Match Leicester 4 Southampton 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy with where we finished considering. Happy to only have domestic competitions next season too.

Chasing after that European JPT has cost us 6th and playing Europa League next season.
It wasn't really like that tbf, we were doing shit in the league at the time and seemed to have an extra bit of desire in the European cup to go out and win it. Over all 8th isn't bad and we've only just missed out on Europe but that does paper over the cracks a bit. We have underperformed regularly in defence, the set piece issue being a massive issue in particular, we also blew two really great chances for silverware, particularly in the FA Cup where a win against Forest with Huddersfield waiting in the next round was an absolute treat - only to put in the most abject performance of the season (and there have been a few contenders for defensive shit shows)

I'd give Brendan the summer rebuild he's been crowing about. It's on him if it goes tits up after that. Can't see us having a massive budget though. If we can move Tielemans on for a fee that will help and the same for the likes of Soyuncu.

8th is a solid enough finish all things considered. Well done to the club for pushing hard at the end of the season. We could easily have lost the plot after losing in Rome.

This has been a season of two major failings. First is our inability to get players fit and then keep them fit. Our preseason was poor, our management of the squad was poor, and it cost us a lot of points/games. Secondly, we were appalling at set pieces at both ends of the pitch. Our defending of them was borderline negligence. Sort those two areas out and we're still every bit as good as anyone below the top two.

This summer, we need a major clearout of players. We already have too many and, with no European football, we don't need such a big squad. Much depends on our ability to move out players and recruit wisely.

Much depends on our ability to move out players
The problem is that this part of it is not about ability. It's incredibly difficult to move players on; you need clubs who are willing to pay for them and players who are willing to go. If you don't have those two things then you have to make the choice to try and sever contractual ties another way and that can become far too expensive. I don't think we will see many players leaving at all. Tielemans, Soyuncu... after that I'm struggling. Will Vestergaard have any suitors? Bertrand? Perez might but will other clubs match his salary? Choudhury is another who may get a club but I doubt it'll be a PL club so he may not want to go either. Amartey and Iheanacho are two that I'd like to see shipped out but again, who will be willing to pay their wages?

It's going to be very tough.

The problem is that this part of it is not about ability. It's incredibly difficult to move players on; you need clubs who are willing to pay for them and players who are willing to go. If you don't have those two things then you have to make the choice to try and sever contractual ties another way and that can become far too expensive. I don't think we will see many players leaving at all. Tielemans, Soyuncu... after that I'm struggling. Will Vestergaard have any suitors? Bertrand? Perez might but will other clubs match his salary? Choudhury is another who may get a club but I doubt it'll be a PL club so he may not want to go either. Amartey and Iheanacho are two that I'd like to see shipped out but again, who will be willing to pay their wages?

I don't think we're any weaker next season without: Ward, Jakupovic, Iversen, Soyuncu, Bertrand, Amartey, Vestergaard, Thomas, Albrighton, Choudhury, Praet, Mendy, Soumare, Iheanacho, Perez, Lookman

Add Tielemans to that and it's 17 out, leaving 12 from the current group. If we want 6 new players in, as BR has said, that's the sort of size squad we want without European football and with some talented young players we need to be getting on the bench regularly.

Lookman is an obvious decision, as is not renewing Jakupovic. There will be plenty of takers for about half the rest (e.g. Iversen/Soyuncu/Tielemans/Iheanacho). The others will be about cutting losses (Praet/Perez), loans (Soumare/Thomas) and cancelling contracts (Bertrand).

I'm sure we won't move them all out (e.g. Amartey/Albrighton) but we have to be open to do deals for any of them if we can. It can be poisonous to have too many nothing players hanging around.

I’m dreading the announcement that we’ve signed Lookman. It’s definitely going to happen.

Just watched the highlights.

Maddison's ball to Perez for our 3rd was superb, as was the work he did in the build up to the Castagne to Vardy chance that wasn't scored.

Looked like we played some nice football in the second half. But Southampton's defending was woeful - they're in trouble next season.

What happened to Evans' head?

We usually "move on" around three in the close season, other than those out of contract or out on loan. I don't expect anything much different this time around.

Just watched the highlights.

Maddison's ball to Perez for our 3rd was superb, as was the work he did in the build up to the Castagne to Vardy chance that wasn't scored.

Looked like we played some nice football in the second half. But Southampton's defending was woeful - they're in trouble next season.

What happened to Evans' head?
An extremely ugly clash of heads with Armstrong. Armstrong was substituted after trying to play on.

I’m dreading the announcement that we’ve signed Lookman. It’s definitely going to happen.
Tanner said he’d like to sign him but not a priority ahead of other positions.

I suspect this “rebuild” will be nowhere near the scale being suggested.

I assume we avoided setting a new standalone record for goals conceded from corners?

Indeed, how many players will do a Winston Bogarde and sit on a contract, rather than seek game time elsewhere?

I can't say I'd blame anyone for it, imagine getting life changing money for playing a bit of water polo.

We wasted our European chance by playing European football. What the ****
I presume what CF means is that pissing about in the third-rate Conference League cost us a better league position. Had we actually made a decent attempt at the Europa League, maybe CF wouldn’t have felt that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757