Leicester City Women

Should be enough. Birmingham practically need a miracle against Chelsea, they need the points for their title charge. Man City also for their European aspirations.

The B’ham women are still holding Chelsea to 0-0. 70 mins played.

Watched a few highlights earlier today

Not sure how anyone can spare the time to watch this, it's pretty terrible.

Watched a few highlights earlier today

Not sure how anyone can spare the time to watch this, it's pretty terrible.

It is terrible. I did watch a Leicester match a few months ago and simply couldn't believe how poor it was. I wondered if it was just Leicester so I watched a Chelsea v Arsenal game some time later and it was still shit, but with a bit more physicality and pace.

Maybe it will be decent in about a decade but the level of investment and fuss massively exceeds the quality on display at the moment. There are players getting paid professionally at Leicester that would look inferior at a bog standard Sunday League match at your local park.

Pretending that it's any good is not doing them any favours either. They need to improve a lot. Giving them Belvoir Drive and pouring cash in appears to me to be just a silly vanity exercise. They can't even give away tickets for the games.

I don't see any reason why it cannot become a really good spectacle in time but if I were involved at Leicester City, I'd be focusing on massive investment in coaching at girls schools teams.

The professional clubs and the FA charter clubs do seem to be doing a hell of a lot for girls - my daughter's club has great coaches and a pathway to trials with local pro clubs' youth teams, which in turn feed up regionally with clubs able to take on girls from further away as they get older. At the same time, her school team is coached by a semi-professional player and has had a visit from an England player. There's so much happening with more opportunities for girls that I'm sure the rapid development in quality at the top club and international level over the last ten years will be sustained if not accelerated. You might not like it now, but women's football is going somewhere fast in this country and I'm glad Leicester want to be a big part of it

The professional clubs and the FA charter clubs do seem to be doing a hell of a lot for girls - my daughter's club has great coaches and a pathway to trials with local pro clubs' youth teams, which in turn feed up regionally with clubs able to take on girls from further away as they get older. At the same time, her school team is coached by a semi-professional player and has had a visit from an England player. There's so much happening with more opportunities for girls that I'm sure the rapid development in quality at the top club and international level over the last ten years will be sustained if not accelerated. You might not like it now, but women's football is going somewhere fast in this country and I'm glad Leicester want to be a big part of it
Yep. My business is based on sports events for youth teams, primarily football (as it’s the biggest sport). The acceleration in quality at girls’ youth levels is phenomenal.

Yep. My business is based on sports events for youth teams, primarily football (as it’s the biggest sport). The acceleration in quality at girls’ youth levels is phenomenal.

That's good to hear. Back twenty and more years my daughter loved to play footy and the junior club she and her brother joined encouraged girls and did 100% mixed training and friendlies .... until the dreaded Under-10s leagues beckoned (still too young for competitive football IMO) and she found herself watching from the sidelines, with at least half the team lads who (in my admittedly biased opinion) were nowhere near as good as she was. Still football's less was netball's gain.

I do struggle with the way Premierisation of Women's Football has altered the game, particularly the strength and physicality dimensions, but the contrary argument that the women's game would be better if differences were accommodated (in short 10% off goal size, pitch length, game length and whatever) is lost and is probably offensive to today's orthodoxy.

But Women's football on the telly is a great step forward, some very high quality play and getting better season by season, so what's not to love?

That's good to hear. Back twenty and more years my daughter loved to play footy and the junior club she and her brother joined encouraged girls and did 100% mixed training and friendlies .... until the dreaded Under-10s leagues beckoned (still too young for competitive football IMO) and she found herself watching from the sidelines, with at least half the team lads who (in my admittedly biased opinion) were nowhere near as good as she was.

There was a girl who played for the same club as my nephew albeit a year or two older who turned for one of the boys teams until she was around 11. Other clubs started to complain about a girl playing with boys and the league took note and said she couldn't play anymore.

If you saw her play it was obvious that the real reason was that she was much better than anyone else on the pitch. That girl was Kelly Smith.

There was a girl who played for the same club as my nephew albeit a year or two older who turned for one of the boys teams until she was around 11. Other clubs started to complain about a girl playing with boys and the league took note and said she couldn't play anymore.

If you saw her play it was obvious that the real reason was that she was much better than anyone else on the pitch. That girl was Kelly Smith.
We had a girl who played in a boys team at one of our events a few years ago who was consistently the best player on the pitch, even though they themselves were a quality team. Erin Cuthbert.

My 11 year old son played against a Man City academy girls team two weeks again. Some of the girls were a year older. They were technically excellent and gave a fantastic account of themselves.

I once knew a girl who was very good playing with boys.

She now turns tricks on Welford Road.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757
9Preston 3756