Leicester players at the World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.
12ft doesn't work with The Times or The Athletic.
I guess we can work it out from the headline fragment - bloody disgrace. I hope somebody puts him on the spot and gets Southgate to explain his thinking

I know I said I'd watch it like a twat, but if he doesn't take Maddison I really won't watch it. It would be an utter disgrace not to take him.

Leicester City’s Denmark duo Jannik Vestergaard and Daniel Iversen have been made to wait over their potential participation at the World Cup.

The pair were missing from manager Kasper Hjulmand’s squad, announced on Monday evening, but there is hope for them yet. Hjulmand chose to name only 21 of the 26 players he is able to take, with the final five spaces to be filled by the start of next week.

Hjulmand is waiting to analyse the fitness of key players in the hope of taking a fully-fit squad. If some of those players fail to prove they are injury-free, it could open the door for City’s duo, despite their lack of match action.

I found this piece interesting, not for the bit about whether or not Maddison makes the cut but for the bit about understudies for Kane.

If it's true that Southgate is so locked in to his particular style that he has a 'batting order in each position', then I don't see how there's any chance of Maddison being involved as the attraction of him is that he does something different. I've backed Southgate previously, and do think that he's earned the right with his performance at the last two major tournaments, it's very concerning that he's quite so one-dimensional in his approach as that implies.

At some point in the world cup we will probably find ourselves needing a goal in the final stages of a game to either stay alive or win a game.

I cant think of a single English player who I would rather bring on who is more capable of assisting a goal or scoring one than Maddison.

Pointless taking him

Southgate won't play him ahead of Mount or Grealish, or even Foden - better to stay at home away from the whole tawdry shitshow
Agreed. I think he might include him just because he can't logically defend not including him. But he won't play. He'll stick with the usual suspects.

I found this piece interesting, not for the bit about whether or not Maddison makes the cut but for the bit about understudies for Kane.

If it's true that Southgate is so locked in to his particular style that he has a 'batting order in each position', then I don't see how there's any chance of Maddison being involved as the attraction of him is that he does something different. I've backed Southgate previously, and do think that he's earned the right with his performance at the last two major tournaments, it's very concerning that he's quite so one-dimensional in his approach as that implies.

I have never rated Southgate as a manager and I still don't his teams are one dimensional and too cautious.
in Russia we had a great route to the semis and took full advantage of it the same for the Eoros, for me Southgate lost it tactically against Croatia.
for the Euros I am still trying to get my head around his substitutions perhaps they were awesome at pens in training? imo he should have brought them on with 5 mins to go but that is the past.
I just do mot think he trusts Maddison at all and he probably won't go.

Pointless taking him

Southgate won't play him ahead of Mount or Grealish, or even Foden - better to stay at home away from the whole tawdry shitshow

I'd agree although any slight chance of getting Maddison to sign a new contract here depends on him being selected.

I’m sure I read somewhere that he’ll only pick players who have recent experience playing in Europe otherwise they won’t be used to playing in a big stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757