Leicester Riders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy Lad

First of all an apology that this is being posted on a football website but I know you are all passionate sports fans.

For those of you that don't know, Leicester Riders is the longest serving British Basketball League Club in England. The marketing company that owned the club went bust last month & hence the chairman of the Riders declared bankrupt.

The players salaries were not paid for January & prior to last night's home game they had a meeting to decide whether to play. All they were promised was a split of the proceeds from the gate receipts (which is minimal). Bravely 7 of the players decided to play for the fans that had turned up. 4 of the original squad have left, including some top players. Despite the lack of training due to cut backs and the circumstances which prevailed those remaining fought like it was the last game they would ever play and managed to win 78-76.

My plea, on behalf of the club, is for you all to help spread the word of the Riders predicament. This is not like football where big money is needed. Every little would help either via donation or even better, sponsorship. The club is staring down the loaded barrel and I know, as a long time LCFC fan, that this is a dreadful situation.

If you want to help or know someone that can I would suggest going to the unofficial website on http://www.ridersballonline.com (The club website does not get updated due to cut backs). The contact e-mail address is [email protected].

Thanks for letting me use your board for this request. We are LEICESTER people.... Let's support our own!

MODERATOR'S NOTE - although this is little to do with Leicester City, I have decided not to move this thread to the dungeons of the 'Other Sports' sub-forum. With City having "stared down the gun" not too many years ago (and they may yet have to do it again), I think the subject matter is important enough for it to enjoy a prominent place on this board.

Last edited by a moderator:

Han

a bit of a sorry sttate for them. hope it gets sorted out so that they can keep afloat.

Melton Fox

Dancing Queen
I know a few geezers that might be interested this time next week. :icon_wink

They'll take over a club in ruins just to prove that things can actually get worse than they might appear

djwanker

Good luck with saving the Riders. I cut some of my journalistic teeth reporting on the Riders (starting when I was 15 !!) and it'd be a shocker if they went to the wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669