Pre Match Leicester v Derby (League cup)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A bit late but report on the OS now

Sean St. Ledger returned to action for Leicester City’s Under-21s side as they were made to pay for a penalty miss in a 1-0 Barclays U21

Premier League defeat to Norwich City at Colney on Monday.
The Republic of Ireland international played over an hour for City while he continued his recovery from a knee injury that has kept him out of first team action since August.
Canaries ‘keeper Remi Matthews made a spectacular save to deny Michael Cain from the 12 yards ten minutes into the second half as the Foxes looked like running riot in Norfolk.
However after a string of missed chances, an equally spectacular solo effort from striker Jamar Loza with 20 minutes left secured the three points for the Canaries and left City with nothing to show for what was an excellent display.
Afterwards, Development Coach Steve Beaglehole told LCFC.com: “I can only say it how it is, and that’s that we were very unlucky not to have come away with the win let alone a point.
“That’s the best we have played all season for me, and yet we’ve been beaten, it’s quite hard to understand. We had a penalty saved and Joe Dodoo headed a good chance wide near the end, which is frustrating but it’s just one of those things
“St. Ledger played 65 minutes for us today and I have to say he was magnificent – he didn’t put a foot wrong - he’s a real credit to the Club.
“The young lads and the coaches have come to me and said what a great role model he has been for the squad. Having him with us was worth ten coaching sessions to my players without any doubt.”
After a quiet opening City had the better of the first half chances as Harry Panayiotou, Jak McCourt and Dodoo all went close, but couldn’t get their efforts on target, much to the relief over Canaries ‘keeper Matthews.
It was a similar story after the break as Cain almost capped off some incisive play with a 20 yard effort only to see it drift wide, while last season’s FA Youth Cup winning captain, Cameron McGeehan picked out Norwich’s Loza in space, but the striker couldn’t apply the finish.
Then on 54 minutes, City left back Callum Elder was brought crashing down in the box by Jacob Murphy, but Matthews was equal to Cain’s powerfully struck spot kick to keep the scores level at 0-0.
That was all to change in the 68th minute though as Loza latched onto a nice ball to charge down on goal, and despite being forced wide by Alie Sesay, was able to keep his balance and put an excellent finish beyond the reach of Adam Smith to claim victory for the hosts.
Norwich: Matthews, McNeil, Ayala, Gafaiti, Toffolo, McGeehan (c), Fox, Jacob Murphy, Loza, Hall-Johnson, Morris
Subs not used: Barker, Oxborough, McFadden, Hodd, King
City: Smith, Watson, Elder, McCourt (Nkumu 81), Sesay (c), St. Ledger (Frempah 65), Cain, Paratore, Panayiotou, Dodoo, Daniels (Stankevicius 71)
Subs not used: Sharpe, Anton

Read more at http://www.lcfc.com/news/article/23...ich-1-city-0-1072791.aspx#TVfJ9STg1J4wCDVw.99

Last edited:
Didn't Pearson get slated for playing a weakened side against Huddersfield last season?
Incidentally, I would make changes and rest the back 5 + Drinkwater, King and Vardy.

I think it would be a shame to rest players and risk losing momentum, but then we have players that need game time.

Schlupp, Hammon, Taylor-Fletcher, Miquel and the Polish guy need to play I think. Less bothered about game time for Gally/Bakayogo as they seem further down the pecking order.

Is Wood fit? If so I'd probably play him and Vardy up top, let Vardy keep his form going

8-0

Keith Vaz to donate some pillow covers to a sick child at half time (expenses claimed)

Could you ask him if he could also manage a couple of pairs of PJs for the QEQM hospital at Margate so I don't have to sit here in half a sheet and my underkecks

A nice draw please c/w extra time with the sheep missing the last penalty, oh, and make it a nice physical match.

Didn't Pearson get slated for playing a weakened side against Huddersfield last season?

Yes, but that was the FA Cup, a cup that we have never won and one that City fans have always cared about way more than the league cup. Pearson was rightly criticised after playing a weak side at Huddersfield and were duly proved correct in their criticism. We do have a decent shot at this cup this year so I say go for it. Full strength, big win, huge confidence going into the next match. I'm Joe_Fox

Logan

Polish bloke
Whitbread
Miquel

Bakayogo
Hammond
James
Danns
Girlyger

Schlupp
Hopper

0-0 after extra time. City win 1-0 on penalties

Good to see Robbie Savage voicing his opinions...

I think a deliberate mistake by the Mercury journalist too...

Savage saw out the last two years of his playing career as club captain under Clough at Pride Park.

"If I'm being honest, I've got more loyalties to Derby at the minute because the manager Nigel Clough and all his staff are still there," she said.

he he he...:icon_razz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570