Lost posts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven

Dear Webbie,

Would I be right in saying that we have lost some posts along the way after you spent all that time fixing the server after it had been hacked. As an aside are you running Windows or Linux/Unix on these servers as we constantly get scanned for open ports and as yet they have been unable to get us. These script kiddies are a pain in the arse.

Webbie said:
It might be 'only' a forum to you, but the server it was on has been attacked by hackers, it's taken me eight hours work today to fix the forum, and it will take a hell of a lot more time than that to fix all my other sites. If I continue to get hassle from people (and they know who they are), I'll just close it down, it takes too much of my time to sort out problems only to get people abusing me and the forum. Maybe you think I'm over reacting, but that's tough, it's my site and if it continues to cause me stress I'll do what's best for me.

This may not be the appropriate place here, however in the spirit of keeping "the other forums "on topic"" I would like to say that I appreciate what you do as it is not easy to keep one of these things up and running. It is for free and I enjoy sharing my thoughts about City and other things with all the characters that I have met on here.

Should you feel you want to close it down, then that is up to you and if you feel that you could do without the stress then fair enough. It could be that the reward/effort ratio does not make it worthwhile.

It is "only" a forum, but one that brings many of us some pleasure and some pain to you and perhaps not enough recognition. I thank you for continuing to make this service available.

Yours,

Steven :wink:

you're a top guy webster!
:wink:

Steven said:
Would I be right in saying that we have lost some posts along the way after you spent all that time fixing the server after it had been hacked. As an aside are you running Windows or Linux/Unix on these servers as we constantly get scanned for open ports and as yet they have been unable to get us. These script kiddies are a pain in the arse.

The only posts that have been 'accidentally' lost were some that were posted in a half hour period yesterday afternoon, while I was moving the site away from my own dedicated server to shared hosting.
But to make the move easier I have deleted a lot of old threads, so any thread that hasn't had a reply in the last few weeks is likely to have been deleted.

The server that was hacked is running Linux, and I'd been doing everything I could to keep hackers out, by running a firewall and updating software as soon as new security patches became available.
Unfortunately it looks like they got into the server via someone else's site, which was running an old version of a program that still had security problems. Although they didn't delete anything, they did plant a trojan which could have allowed anyone access to the server, and the only way to make sure you remove all traces of the trojan is to do a clean install of everything.

webmaster said:
Steven said:

The only posts that have been 'accidentally' lost were some that were posted in a half hour period yesterday afternoon, while I was moving the site away from my own dedicated server to shared hosting.
But to make the move easier I have deleted a lot of old threads, so any thread that hasn't had a reply in the last few weeks is likely to have been deleted.

The server that was hacked is running Linux, and I'd been doing everything I could to keep hackers out, by running a firewall and updating software as soon as new security patches became available.
Unfortunately it looks like they got into the server via someone else's site, which was running an old version of a program that still had security problems. Although they didn't delete anything, they did plant a trojan which could have allowed anyone access to the server, and the only way to make sure you remove all traces of the trojan is to do a clean install of everything.

Little buggers, do you know who they are? Are you going to get your own back? I heard they were forest fans?

webmaster said:
Malf said:
Little buggers, do you know who they are? Are you going to get your own back? I heard they were forest fans?

I don't know who they were, and there's no reason to suspect the hackers did it because of this site.

Script kiddies. :roll:

webmaster said:
Steven said:
Dissapointing, less than 12k posts in lcfc forum :roll:

So now, thats fvcked other stuff up. Look at Scowcrofts profile, i'll make it easier and show you..

[49.05% of total / 41.53 posts per day]

Petrescu said:
webmaster said:
Steven said:
Dissapointing, less than 12k posts in lcfc forum :roll:

So now, thats fvcked other stuff up. Look at Scowcrofts profile, i'll make it easier and show you..

[49.05% of total / 41.53 posts per day]
Quit moaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861