Confirmed Transfer Mahrez to Manchester City

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

Administrator
Staff member
On lcfc.com

The 27-year-old Algeria international will join the Manchester side after Leicester City accepted a Club-record fee for the transfer.

The Football Club would like to place on record its sincere thanks to Riyad for his major contribution to an incredible period of success since his arrival from French side Le Havre in January 2014.

Mahrez made 180 appearances in Leicester City colours, scoring 48 goals. He was part of the teams that lifted the Championship title in 2014, Premier League title in 2016 and helped the Foxes reach the UEFA Champions League Quarter-Finals in 2017.

Riyad’s progress with Leicester City also saw him firmly establish himself as a key member of the Algerian national team, with whom he played in the 2014 FIFA World Cup Finals and both the 2015 and 2017 Africa Cup of Nations.

In the four-and-a-half years since Riyad signed for the Foxes, he has played his way into the hearts of all Leicester City supporters. His moments of magic will live long in the memory as the Club and its fans continue to build a long-term legacy for the success delivered by the teams to which Riyad so memorably contributed.

Riyad leaves with the best wishes of everybody who has worked with him at Leicester City Football Club. He will be welcomed back to King Power Stadium as both an opposition player and a friend of the Club.

Ah, bollocks

Most skilful player I have ever seen.

He will be an absolute sensation in that side

https://www.mancity.com/news/first-...018/july/man-city-sign-riyad-mahrez-leicester

Manchester City have completed the signing of Riyad Mahrez from Leicester.

The 27-year-old has signed a five-year contract and has opted to take the number 26 shirt.

A title winner with Leicester in 2016, Mahrez says he can’t wait to get started at City, a Club he feels offers him both a chance to win silverware and an environment in which he can improve his own game.

“I am so pleased to have joined City, a side playing great football under Pep Guardiola,” Mahrez said.

“Watching them from afar has been a pleasure. Pep is committed to playing attacking football, which is a perfect for me, and City’s performances last season were outstanding. They’re redefining the English game and I wanted to be a part of it.

“I think we can be successful over the coming years and I believe my own game can develop under Pep’s management.”

Director of Football Txiki Begiristain added: “Riyad is a hugely talented player. He beats defenders and creates space.

“Over the past few years, he has established himself as one of the Premier League’s most exciting players.

“We’re sure he will bring additional attacking quality to our squad.”

Mahrez was born in France and began his professional career at Le Havre, where he made 67 appearances over a three-year period.

He signed for Leicester in 2013 and helped them win promotion to the Premier League by the end of his first season. He played 19 times and scored three goals, finishing the season strongly after an initial period of adjustment.

The 2014/15 season saw Leicester finish 14th in the league as they won seven of their final nine league games to save them from what appeared to be certain relegation.

And then came their 2016 title win, a fairy-tale story that will go down in Premier League history as one of the most unexpected and remarkable achievements of all time. Leicester won the title comfortably, finishing 10 points above second-placed Arsenal, despite starting the season as 5000-1 outsiders and many people’s tip for relegation.

Mahrez was arguably their most important player, a fact recognised in the end-of-season awards. He secured a place in the PFA Team of the Year and was named the PFA Player of the Year after scoring 17 league goals in 37 matches.

In his final two years, he scored 23 goals, but Leicester failed to repeat their 2016 heroics, finishing 12th in 2017 and ninth last season.

In total, he played 179 times for Leicester, scoring 48 times.

Everyone at City would like to welcome Riyad to the Club and we wish him well during his time here

Hope we got a decent amount for him. Glad it's finally sorted as it was doing no favours for any. Hopefully we now let them know our interest in Roberts was just a laugh and keep the money for other players.

A sad day. We have lost a truly incredible player and I predict he will be world class in that side. Good luck Riyad.

Thanks for the 15/16 season Riyad. Memories I'll never forget.

Hopefully he issues a thanks statements. It's important I think. Maybe it's just me being sentimental

I agree that he should issue a thank you statement.
You are not being sentimental. It is important to support good manners.
If you had been sentimental there is nothing wrong with that.

£60m, with add-ons taking it to a potential £75m, seems to be the general feeling.

I’d rather he stayed, but it’s probably the best point to maximise his price, in that he’ll be 28 with a year left on his contract by next summer.

Thanks Riyad, it was a blast.

I agree that he should issue a thank you statement.
You are not being sentimental. It is important to support good manners.
If you had been sentimental there is nothing wrong with that.

Thanks because I bloody well am sentimental!!

It's been a blast Riyad. Even though you'll never read this message. Thanks for the time of my life in 15/16 and in general for your magic at my club. Thanks for also listening to me when I met you and your friend at Stamford Bridge in May 2016 and pleaded "stay one more season" - you made it two!!!

A magician and it’s been a pleasure to watch him play in a lot of those 180 games. Will always remember his contribution in 15/16 to a lifelong memory. Sad but inevitable, that wand of a left foot will be difficult to replace. Will always welcome him back to the KP, even though the end of his career with us was rather messy.

What a ****ing sad waste it will be to see that fake club use him as a squad player.

Mahrez of 15/16 will never be replaced, & I thank him for the memories. (The fecking awesome memories).

Replacing Mahrez of the last 2 seasons, won't be so difficult to replace ( whether that be a player or a change in formation)

However good he was for us in 15/16 doesn't give him the right to behave the way he did when he couldn't his own way.
That attitude has lost him a lot of the goodwill many would wish him on the next stage of his career.

A wonderful, beautiful, footballer. As a fan I'll miss him terribly. Easily the best I've ever seen at Leicester and there won't be another like him for a very long time.

Inevitable but gutting nonetheless.

I don't think Man City fans realize just how good he is yet. The same is true of some Leicester fans...both will find out soon enough.

Cheers Riyad.

What a ****ing sad waste it will be to see that fake club use him as a squad player.
From that point of view I’m not sure if Leicester City was the best choice in the world either.

Best we ever had and, quite possibly, best we’ll ever have. Thanks

Wouldn't fit into our new 532 formation anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757