Marcus Rashford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both my grandads self supplied the family with fruit and veg. In the long term, there is nothing cheaper than a vegetable patch, an allotment and a greenhouse. Both my grandparents lived in pretty grim built up areas too.

As a kid, I'd spend every Sunday morning on my grandads allotment with him, and return home to my mum with piles of fresh fruit and veg. I remember climbing apple trees and taking my pick.

Now I'm useless at that sort of thing so I do none of it, but if I had the time and the need, that's how I'd ensure that I fed my family properly. And the best way of helping those that cannot afford such fresh produce is to facilitate them growing it themselves.

I did grow veg for a couple of years but, tbh, I decided all-in-all that it wasn't really worth the effort. It takes thought and planning too if you want to avoid having an abundance of the same veg all coming ready at the same time, invariably the same time as local markets have the same veg in abundance too. But I don't have a family to feed, just me and the misses. And, yes, we could bottle and preserve but, again, it's more time and effort not to mention cost. We now buy local and seasonal, but I am thinking of growing some stuff again.

How long are the waiting lists for allotments in Leicester?
In some parts of the country you can wait 10 years to get one.
Can be a couple of years easily. It also ignores the fact that a lot of this is about education and breaking cycles as well. If you grew up in poverty and only knew that way if eating, and you're still alive, it's easy to think the same thing is the way forward. Breaking cycles is nigh-on impossible in a single generation.

We've got a massive allotment and a big garden with veggie patch.

It's hard work and unless you have the time to put in you end up with a rather small window where you get produce.

Obesity aside, I saw plenty of reports of people using these vouchers attempting to buy fags and booze. People need to get their priorities in order.

Obesity aside, I saw plenty of reports of people using these vouchers attempting to buy fags and booze. People need to get their priorities in order.
Nothing new there though is
there.

Yeah, and I bet they’ve all got big massive tellies and playstations and iPhones and drive massive petrol-guzzling cars and take loads of drugs and everything

The lying, scrounging bastards

Yeah, and I bet they’ve all got big massive tellies and playstations and iPhones and drive massive petrol-guzzling cars and take loads of drugs and everything

The lying, scrounging bastards
I've heard of one of them who does just that, so it must be true of all of 'em.

Just saying like but the govt probably wouldn't give a toss what you spent your voucher on (be it booze, fags or both) it's THAT you spent it that matters. The purpose of it would be to inject some cash into the stalled money-go-round that is the economy.

Just saying like but the govt probably wouldn't give a toss what you spent your voucher on (be it booze, fags or both) it's THAT you spent it that matters. The purpose of it would be to inject some cash into the stalled money-go-round that is the economy.
The school meal voucher is just to buy food. The total value is so small it won't have an effect on the economy.

There has been speculation that everyone in the country will be given a £500 voucher to spend in shops. That's the one you're thinking of.

There has been speculation that everyone in the country will be given a £500 voucher to spend in shops. That's the one you're thinking of.

Yes, that's what I was referring to. I've no idea if it'll see the light of day but I reckon it's a sound idea.

Without some kind of stimulus there will be mass unemployment as companies go bust. That would cost a lot more.

And giving everyone £500 to spunk on shit is a sticking plaster that will delay the inevitable.

Instead of ridiculous ideas like this they need to realise that our current capitalist, make money and growth at all costs is broken and doesn't work long term.

I love the fact that councils have been ripping off the high street in terms of charging unsustainable rents and now they want to give everyone money to prop the them up, it's so short sighted it's unreal.

Add to the fact that I'm not a wasteful moron who has to fulfil my capitalist needs, and so I don't see why the **** I should have to pay to give everyone £500 to spend on crap they don't need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757