Marcus Rashford

Status
Not open for further replies.

pork pie fox

It’s seems to be very easy for people to knock footballers, but they often don’t get the praise they deserve for the good that they do. I know many of them do things behind closed doors, as they are more comfortable that way. Fair play to Rashford, this deserves to be acknowledged IMO.

Just been catching up with what he's been up to. What an inspiration that he's using his status to try to improve lives and is happily taking on any dissenters.

He's embarrassing the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions this morning which isn't hard to do but fair play to the lad. Plain facts and logic defeat idiotic politicians every time.

Just been catching up with what he's been up to. What an inspiration that he's using his status to try to improve lives and is happily taking on any dissenters.

He's embarrassing the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions this morning which isn't hard to do but fair play to the lad. Plain facts and logic defeat idiotic politicians every time.
Yep. He comes across as a genuinely good person and deserves praise and recognition for it.

That’ll be every other area of funding for schools cut by about £120mil then.

That's not a school dinner, where's the turkey twizzlers?

On the subject of school meals: -
Since semi retiring, I run workshops at schools.
I was shocked to see how many schools run breakfast clubs.
Not some sort of activity club, but clubs where kids that don't have anything to eat at home before starting the day, can get a breakfast!
WTF, that is just so wrong on so many levels.

If the UK is anything like the US (it increasingly is) school meals are becoming an increasingly important source of relief for at need families.

it is pretty ****ed, but then we are dealing with wealth gaps the types of which humanity has rarely seen.

It's not a particularly new phenomena. My sister in law was a primary school teacher in the late 70's-early 80's and I remember her commenting on how some of the children relied on their school lunch for a decent meal. Her school still had free milk and when that was taken away she said that some kids health would be affected by that. The ironic thing about it was that the school she taught at was in a fairly well-to-do village which was in a staunchly Tory district.

If the UK is anything like the US (it increasingly is) school meals are becoming an increasingly important source of relief for at need families.

it is pretty ****ed, but then we are dealing with wealth gaps the types of which humanity has rarely seen.
What’s really interesting with this is that the overall wealth gap is actually declining. Over 30 years the Gini coefficient has decreased from 0.39 to about 0.35.
And yet, it really does feel like that is the case. Why is that? Is it simply that the rich are much more visible?

As an ex-teacher in a family filled with them, it's sickening to see the Tories and newspapers suddenly claiming to care about the poorest in society and the education gap. Where was the concern when they closed SureStart Centres and local libraries? Or when they continually slashed budgets or practically forced academies onto us. It's false concern designed to denigrate teachers and win easy points with the public, and it continues to leave those at the bottom right where they belong (in the eyes of the gov).

On the subject of school meals: -
Since semi retiring, I run workshops at schools.
I was shocked to see how many schools run breakfast clubs.
Not some sort of activity club, but clubs where kids that don't have anything to eat at home before starting the day, can get a breakfast!
WTF, that is just so wrong on so many levels.

Yup. I used to work for Greggs and did the accounts for their Foundation. The amount of demand for breakfast clubs was shocking.

It has puzzled me for some time how many fat poor people there are these days.

It has puzzled me for some time how many fat poor people there are these days.
Unhealthy food is cheaper than healthy food.
But you need to eat more of it to get enough protein. So you get fat.

I've lost loads of weight in the last year. Eating healthier food, but less of it. I spend a lot more on food than I used to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757