Marcus Rashford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Healthy food tastes rubbish.
Unhealthy food tastes great.

No, I'm not giving that as a set of facts to live by. It's not actually true either, it's just a thing that some people take for granted.

Healthy food tastes rubbish.
Unhealthy food tastes great.

No, I'm not giving that as a set of facts to live by. It's not actually true either, it's just a thing that some people take for granted.
Okay but have you ever eaten a rice cake?

Unhealthy food is cheaper than healthy food.
But you need to eat more of it to get enough protein. So you get fat.

I've lost loads of weight in the last year. Eating healthier food, but less of it. I spend a lot more on food than I used to.
Are you trying to tell me that chocolate milk is cheaper than ordinary milk?
Or that Corn Flakes are cheaper than Frosties?
Or tap water is cheaper than diet Coke?
No sale.
Well done on the weight loss though. I've lost a stone or so in lockdown too, more by exercise than diet. And there is the other side of the eat less / move about more equation.

No sale.
Well done on the weight loss though. I've lost a stone or so in lockdown too, more by exercise than diet. And there is the other side of the eat less / move about more equation.
That started well but went wrong quickly. You get the gist.

No sale.

So the problem you have is poor people having a treat.
Frosties have the same number of calories as cornflakes. They're both rubbish.

I was talking about proper meals.
Food that's mainly carbohydrates - potatoes, bread, pasta, rice etc, is cheaper than nutritious stuff like protein and vegetables. If you fill yourself up with carbs you'll have lots of calories, but you'll get hungry sooner because your body craves protein, so you keep eating more cheap carbs until you get the protein you need.

I've lost a stone or so in lockdown too, more by exercise than diet.

My weight loss slowed down since lockdown started. There has been some comfort eating...
I lost 73 pounds between August and the start of lockdown. But only 13 pounds since then.

It's difficult to lose weight by doing more exercise. It takes a lot of exercise to burn a relatively small number of calories. You could go for a three mile walk, or you could choose not to have a twix, which would have the same effect in terms of calories in/out. I've lost weight the easy way, by not having the twix.

Food that's mainly carbohydrates - potatoes, bread, pasta, rice etc, is cheaper than nutritious stuff like protein and vegetables. If you fill yourself up with carbs you'll have lots of calories, but you'll get hungry sooner because your body craves protein, so you keep eating more cheap carbs until you get the protein you need.

My weight loss slowed down since lockdown started. There has been some comfort eating...
I lost 73 pounds between August and the start of lockdown. But only 13 pounds since then.

It's difficult to lose weight by doing more exercise. It takes a lot of exercise to burn a relatively small number of calories. You could go for a three mile walk, or you could choose not to have a twix, which would have the same effect in terms of calories in/out. I've lost weight the easy way, by not having the twix.

Spuds, bread, pasta & rice.

Thats the problem right there. As far as I know those are the only things that form the "boring" part of the meal. What the actual **** can you replace them with? Massive piles of veg surrounding a chicken?

I'm useless at this. I was brought up in the 70s living above my old man's cafe. Proper greasy spoon. My childhood & teenage diet was almost entirely white bread,chips,lard,pies & sunday roasts. When I left home it was the same (except for nipping home for the sunday roasts !) with Indians & Chinese on top. The odd pizza.

I'm 6ft 2 & up until my mid 40s never weighed above 12st 8. Same weight give or take a pound or 2 for 25 years. Eat like a carthorse & never put on an ounce.

Then 9 years ago...crash & burn! Lost a large amount of my mobility, ended up walking with a stick I'm now a shade under 15st & it's going nowhere.

Doctors said it was a perfect storm. I lost mobility just at the same time as the aging process was about to crash my metabolism anyway so it's a double whammy.

I have absolutely no idea how to function as a fat ****. Always thought I'd be a skinny old man if anything.

Prepared for old man Steptoe, Ended up with Mr ****ing Creosote

Top bombing Jeff.

I’ve lost 30 pounds this year. From 210 to 180. Could do to move the last 10. It’s been diet not exercise that’s done it.

No sale.
It's packed lunches as well. Which is cheaper to stick in a packed lunch: a packet of crisps and a penguin, or a seed bar?

School meals, in a way, don't always help (thought I appreciate they are a massive necessity for many). I taught a lot of children who'd have a hot meal for lunch at school and then go home for another hot meal, often of the same kind of stuff - heavy carbs.

It's packed lunches as well. Which is cheaper to stick in a packed lunch: a packet of crisps and a penguin, or a seed bar?

How about a packet of crisps or an apple?

It's difficult to lose weight by doing more exercise. It takes a lot of exercise to burn a relatively small number of calories. You could go for a three mile walk, or you could choose not to have a twix, which would have the same effect in terms of calories in/out.

Total agreement from me there. Also, (intense) exercise makes you hungry so, if you're not careful, that congratulatory takeaway curry undoes all your hard work. IMHO, if you only want to lose weight then ignore the gym. Exercise, yes, but keep it sedate. Eat healthy and walk. Of course, there's more to the gym/exercise than weight loss.

I reckon the whole 'calories in/out' paradigm is both overly simplistic and unhelpful... but that's for another forum.

Total agreement from me there. Also, (intense) exercise makes you hungry so, if you're not careful, that congratulatory takeaway curry undoes all your hard work. IMHO, if you only want to lose weight then ignore the gym. Exercise, yes, but keep it sedate. Eat healthy and walk. Of course, there's more to the gym/exercise than weight loss.

I reckon the whole 'calories in/out' paradigm is both overly simplistic and unhelpful... but that's for another forum.

What I find a good rule: a body in motion stays in motion.

You don't have to be lifting weights, or even going for long walks...but if you stay on your feet, especially in the mornings, I've found that has been helpful.

I do a fair bit of gardening, and a biggish garden, so that keeps me occupied and active year round. Obviously it's a different story if you only have a window box.

What all of this has to do with Marcus Rashford, I don't know. Perhaps he's a keen gardener.

Crisps are cheaper than apples.
£2.50 in Sainsbury’s for 6 pink lady apples. I’m a jazz man myself but they’re still about £2 for 6.

**** my life is dull.

£2.50 in Sainsbury’s for 6 pink lady apples. I’m a jazz man myself but they’re still about £2 for 6.

**** my life is dull.

I can relate. When one of the kids only eat half a pink lady apple i die a little inside.

**** my life is dull.
There are cheaper ones available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861