Mary Elizabeth Truss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Imagine the cost that’s going to be put on people renting.

I can't remember what i was listening to but they were going on about how many fixed deals are ending in the next 6 months. I wonder what % of those are for buy to lets and how tight lenders will be on riskier mortgages.

I can't remember what i was listening to but they were going on about how many fixed deals are ending in the next 6 months. I wonder what % of those are for buy to lets and how tight lenders will be on riskier mortgages.
Probably wake up to money on 5 live they had some expert on saying every 3 months 300000 people have their fixed rate mortgage up for renewal, She said at least 1:8 Millon people would end up paying more than they currently do when they remortgage.

The economics of the truly baffled.
Mortgages up, therefore private rents up.

If they want to stimulate growth I'd love to know how thats going to work with energy prices double what they were a year ago, double digit inflation across the board & now this. If the cost of the roof over your head & the energy to heat & light the ****er is astronomical & your wages aren't keeping pace with general inflation what the **** else are you going to be able to spend money on? If people aren't spending there's no growth no matter what else you do.

& of course chopping the 45% top rate of tax isn't going to do anything. Those people don't spend. The extra they get will go straight into long term investments & savings, a significant chunk of it offshore. Just like every time ever in the history of the universe whenever top earners get a windfall.

****ing pointless supply side bollocks all of it. Supply is irrelevant when nobody has any ****ing money to create demand.

The economics of the truly baffled.
Mortgages up, therefore private rents up.

If they want to stimulate growth I'd love to know how thats going to work with energy prices double what they were a year ago, double digit inflation across the board & now this. If the cost of the roof over your head & the energy to heat & light the ****er is astronomical & your wages aren't keeping pace with general inflation what the **** else are you going to be able to spend money on? If people aren't spending there's no growth no matter what else you do.

& of course chopping the 45% top rate of tax isn't going to do anything. Those people don't spend. The extra they get will go straight into long term investments & savings, a significant chunk of it offshore. Just like every time ever in the history of the universe whenever top earners get a windfall.

****ing pointless supply side bollocks all of it. Supply is irrelevant when nobody has any ****ing money to create demand.

Yep. Pissing on the poor and squeezing the middle makes little sense unless you're keen to totally tank the economy. All building up to civil unrest methinks as i can't see the usual distraction pieces about foreigners or benefit recipients doing the job this time.

The rental market point is interesting.

There was a guy on the radio moaning that he was going to have to charge the government more as he supplied social housing and he’d remortgaged them to buy others.

Sorry, dickhead, your risk. You assumed nothing would change and that property was risk free.
I imagine many landlords are in the same situation.
Nothing learnt from 2008, clearly.

Little cracks in the facade being exposed in the news this morning.

“We should probably have warmed up the markets a bit more”

Oh you reckon Liz? Jeeeesus
Perhaps deploy some sort of fiscal butt plug next time before trying to **** the country up the arse, Liz.

She really hasn’t got a ****ing clue. Just look at the cabinet she put together ffs. It’s a who’s who of utterly stupid ****s…the Chancellor being a fine example.

I hated Boris with a passion, but I’d much rather he was back in the hot seat.

Vile and incompetent, what a lovely mix.

She really hasn’t got a ****ing clue. Just look at the cabinet she put together ffs. It’s a who’s who of utterly stupid ****s…the Chancellor being a fine example.

I hated Boris with a passion, but I’d much rather he was back in the hot seat.
They are recruiting from an ever decreasing pool of bell ends who think (or pretend to think) Brexit was a good idea, against all evidence. This religious reality denying was always set for a reckoning

Even Gove , who looked like the adult in the room by saying the income tax cut was bad, was the twat who said “we’ve had enough of experts”

The noise around tax cuts for the wealthy was just distracting everyone from the brilliance of the economic plan says Kwarteng.

Let the gaslighting commence.

They might have scrapped this one small, fairly uncostly (but politically terrible) policy, but the worst is yet to come.

By their own admission they didn't provide enough warning to the markets etc that such vast tax cuts (paid for by borrowing) were planned and spooked everyone. Because they failed to communicate it, the cost of borrowing has increased vastly (for the govt and for all of us) and now we have 'Austerity II' coming down the line (despite being in direct contraction to their manifesto). I have no idea where they'll cut.

For me, we now have a situation where we're still paying a very high rate of tax but they're obviously not spending well. The NHS is in crisis, it's impossible to see your GP, the trains don't run, the post doesn't come, kids can't get on the property ladder, our education standards are ranking well down the global table and energy costs are through the roof - all because of decisions taken by the Conservative Govts over the past 12 years. To then pile big cuts on top of all of that - what are we paying tax for?

This is a huge open goal for Labour. I've previously voted Conservative, but this isn't football and it's not about 'supporting your team' - we all have to look at the situation and make a choice based on that. Yes I would prefer that Starmer was a better and more characteristic leader as my main other option, but by pure virtue of not being Liz Truss he's going to get my vote and those of lots of others.

There is a fascinating change inside the public sector. I've grown accustomed to a constant demand of 'more for less' across all departments. That's the mantra that has been repeated for decades irrespective of who's in charge.

However this is not the mantra any more. Nobody wants efficiency. Now they just want us to stop doing things for people. We're being inundated with pleas for ideas for things that the public sector could no longer be responsible for.

Now I'm not ideologically against shrinking the state. Sometimes it's the right thing to do but sometimes the state does it best. It depends what it is.

However, this lot don't have a coherent plan. They just want to cut back the state viciously and randomly. It's extraordinary really. They'll do whatever they think they'll get away with so fully expect to see things announced and then a massive fuss followed by a sudden change to the next wild idea until people start routinely dying as a consequence.

Have you considered that our new PM has, on many previous occasions, already publicly demonstrated that she is a ****wit?

I think BM has been proved right. I cannot think of a Prime Minister who lost credibility so quickly. Fox Fan criticises my use of History but I feel it useful to ask how the party of Churchill and Macmillan came up with Boris Johnson. How did the party of Wilson and Callaghan end up with Jeremy Corbyn. As for Liz Truss I have never believed that cutting taxes was the key to growth.
There is some reason for optimism. Starmer may lack the flair of Wilson in 1964 and Blair in 1997 but he seems to me to have good strategic judgement. He has distanced himself from Corbyn by suspending him from the parliamentary party. He has taken away the Conservative argument that Labour is unpatriotic by having the national anthem at the conference. Kwarteng deserves harsh criticism but the suspending of a Labour MP for racially abusing him is right. Above all Starmer can push that if we are to back the NHS Ukraine and public services in general we cannot cut the taxes to pay for them.
For all his faults Blair came up with a good comment "There is one Labour tradition I am against - losing" I think Starmer would agree.

*Update*

Having got some really good help and advice from a broker we’re going to be able to go ahead with the planned move. Things moving again with our sale and we got a mortgage application in last night ahead of moving into the new place next spring.

Massively relieved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758