Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox Fan

For anyone who hasn't seen this :icon_mrgr

West Bromwich Albion player Joe Mattock admits charge of affray
Jul 29 2010

Add a comment
Recommend
A West Bromwich Albion footballer has pleaded guilty to affray during a nightclub fracas.

Joe Mattock, 20, was due to stand trial for four counts of assault on two men and two women.

The charges relate to an incident at the Liquid Envy nightclub in Church Gate, Leicester, on August 30, 2009.

The former Leicester City defender, who was 19 at the time, also previously denied a charge of doing an act tending and intended to pervert the course of justice.

But at Leicester Crown Court, Mattock, whose address was previously given as Grove Road, Leicester, pleaded guilty to an additional charge of affray relating to the incident, which was caught on CCTV.

The case was adjourned for a pre-sentence report to be prepared and Mattock was granted bail - on the condition he co-operates in preparation of the report - until September 2 at the same court.

Leicester-born Mattock, who has been capped five times by England Under-21s, joined Albion for an undisclosed fee in August 2009.

Highly unlikely. Report makes no mention, but would be surprised if his brief didn't ask for a Goodyear indication (indication as to likely sentence) before he pleaded to the new charge. I would be advising my lay client to instruct me to do this, were I looking at a plea bargain.

Leeh what perverting the course of justice? Surely it would hold a minimal sentence?

Leeh what perverting the course of justice? Surely it would hold a minimal sentence?
I'm thinking that charge has been dropped; he pleaded not guilty, and there's no mention of a trial date in respect of it.

What has happened is he's pleaded guilty to affray as an alternative to the assault charges. I've no idea what the basis of the plea is, so I don't know if he has asked for an indication. The sentencing guidelines listed indicate a custodial (maximum 3 years). Again, don't know what basis it is, but if he's up on the mitigating factors, with minimal or no aggravating ones, I reckon he'll get a suspended sentence, possibly a community order. A lot will depend on his brief (he defended Joey Barton), and his pre-sentence report.

Hope he ends up in prison.

Why would you wish that on him? You have no idea what happened that night, he's never caused you any personal harm, so why would you want to see him in jail?

You Christians really are a nasty, vindictive lot.

Why would you wish that on him? You have no idea what happened that night, he's never caused you any personal harm, so why would you want to see him in jail?

:081:

But don't you see Macky, he's a Lestoh boy, born and breed, came up through the academy, played for his home town club and so was worshiped by the fans. But then he decided to progress his career and moved onto bigger and better things, thus rendering him a useless twat that was never good enough to pull on the Leicester shirt, deserves everything he gets and, if God be willing, will go through every family and personal tragedy a human being could suffer. How dare he leave Leicester for better money, better football at a higher level and the chance of making a name for himself. Quite simple really when you think about it. :icon_roll :icon_wink

But don't you see Macky, he's a Lestoh boy, born and breed, came up through the academy, played for his home town club and so was worshiped by the fans. But then he decided to progress his career and moved onto bigger and better things, thus rendering him a useless twat that was never good enough to pull on the Leicester shirt, deserves everything he gets and, if God be willing, will go through every family and personal tragedy a human being could suffer. How dare he leave Leicester for better money, better football at a higher level and the chance of making a name for himself. Quite simple really when you think about it. :icon_roll :icon_wink

InshAllah. Death to the infidel

I'm thinking that charge has been dropped; he pleaded not guilty, and there's no mention of a trial date in respect of it.

What has happened is he's pleaded guilty to affray as an alternative to the assault charges. I've no idea what the basis of the plea is, so I don't know if he has asked for an indication. The sentencing guidelines listed indicate a custodial (maximum 3 years). Again, don't know what basis it is, but if he's up on the mitigating factors, with minimal or no aggravating ones, I reckon he'll get a suspended sentence, possibly a community order. A lot will depend on his brief (he defended Joey Barton), and his pre-sentence report.

I would have thought the perverting the course of justice would be the "bigger charge " I mean its alledged he tried to buy off one of the victims. So that has been totally dropped then ?

Last edited:
I would have thought the perverting the course of justice would be the "bigger charge " I mean its alledged he tried to buy off one of the victims.

But we don't know how strong their evidence is to prove that charge. I'd guess there's been a fair bit of horse trading going on behind closed doors.

I would have thought the perverting the course of justice would be the "bigger charge " I mean its alledged he tried to buy off one of the victims. So that has been totally dropped then ?

No idea, there's nothing reported about it. Like I posted, I can only assume it's been dropped, thinking about things logically. Hoping to find out more on Thursday. It's not unusual for one charge to be dropped or left on file in situations like this.

It was the way that Joe Mattock left Leicester that caused people to be angry. He was a regular first teamer who left for another Championship club and then made some provoicative comments. Compare it with the admirable Nicky Adams who wanted first team football, paused to see if he was going to get picked by the new manager and then left with grace and dignity.
Joe Mattock is a young man. He no doubt has an agent and older relatives. They should have told him how to depart with good feelings all round.

It was the way that Joe Mattock left Leicester that caused people to be angry. He was a regular first teamer who left for another Championship club and then made some provoicative comments. Compare it with the admirable Nicky Adams who wanted first team football, paused to see if he was going to get picked by the new manager and then left with grace and dignity.
Joe Mattock is a young man. He no doubt has an agent and older relatives. They should have told him how to depart with good feelings all round.

Do you do the voice over on the biscwits advert?

Mattock got......‎10mths suspended for 2yrs, 150hrs unpaid work requirement and £1,500 cost, as reported by LeeH on facebook.

Proof that there is no genuine justice in this country - provided that you have enough money to afford a very good lawyer

Scandalous decision

Proof that there is no genuine justice in this country - provided that you have enough money to afford a very good lawyer

Scandalous decision

And no doubt he was smirking his way out of court.

And no doubt he was smirking his way out of court.

Don't see why he would be smirking, the only thing that saved him from a custodial was his age, he did have a really smart overnight bag with him just in case apparently.

Scandalous decision

Easy to say when you haven't sat in court, or even if you have, when you haven't read all the papers. Given his brief was a QC, I was not impressed. I thought his plea in mit hindered rather than helped him.

The sentence was suspended under legislation aimed at 18-21yr olds, who have been given custody under 12mths. Blame the Government, not the lawyers for this, if you don't like it.

Besides this, he gave (from the bits read out and referred to) a very good account of himself to Probation in his Pre-Sentence Report. He also had glowing references (despite some of the rumours I've heard about his temper and pubs/clubs). The judge highlighted the fact that he should be able to cope with stick, and he's going to get plenty of that with his unpaid work. On top of that, if he's guilty of another offence in the next 2 years, he's banged up, with no early release for good behaviour, and will have to serve any additional sentence on top of the 10 months. Rather than having this matter over and done with in 10 months time, he's got the threat of prison hanging over him for a further 14 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Ipswich4389
2Leicester4288
3Leeds Utd4387
4Southampton4284
5West Brom4372
6Norwich City4371
7Hull City4265
8Coventry City4263