Confirmed Transfer Matty James loaned to Barnsley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Leicester City midfielder Matty James will join Championship side Barnsley on loan until January 2021, subject to Football League approval.

The 29-year-old joined City from Manchester United in May 2012 and has gone on to feature 117 times in all competitions for the Foxes, scoring six goals.

James will now link up with the South Yorkshire side for a second time, after previously spending a successful time on loan in the 2016/17 season, making 18 appearances and netting once.

Barnsley are currently 21st in the Championship and are next in action against Bristol City at Oakwell Stadium on Saturday.

117 games in 8 years. Jesus wept. That’s a bad enough stat, but consider that 99 of those were in the first three years.

Here, lad, have another contract...

I'd love to know the story of him getting a contract extension. Where was the urgency or need? Or was it old boys club? And the length is just staggering.

Well, it was a few days before the Transfer Window for August 2017 slammed shut, Mendy was exiled to Nice for a season's loan, and Drinky was about to finagle his way to Chelsea. Iborra and Silva were not quite firing yet (or ever), so I guess it seemed like a good idea. IIRC a rumour at the time was that the Shaggers were after him and a contract extension, notionally, put the price up.

We can laugh about it now....

I'm not sure I've ever been convinced by Matty James. Clearly many managers like him a lot, but I'm not sure I've ever seen him play well for us in the PL. I await to be corrected of course.

I await to be corrected of course.

OK.

6. James and Cambiasso were good, great ball retention and release.

Very good player, but his issues are obvious. For comparison, much-mocked Darren Anderton played in 63.89% of Tottenham’s league games during his 12 years there. In 8 years, minus 5 months at Barnsley, James has played in 33.22% of ours.

Leicester City midfielder Matty James admits he considered retirement before a chat with manager Brendan Rodgers.
James is currently on-loan with Barnsley.
“It's been hard," he told BBC Radio Sheffield. “Watching football was becoming not very enjoyable.

“Leicester City have been amazing, I can't speak highly enough of every single member of staff, the physios, the players.
“It's been hard because it's been one thing after another. I was having an operation virtually every three or four months. I had to have both Achilles operated on, and at the same time I was trying to be a husband and a father, and it was just trying to remember that football didn't mean everything. That was difficult mentally.

“I had to focus on each day. I was projecting too far, I was making unrealistic goals and that's one thing that Brendan helped with, just to try to be present and take it day by day.

“In August time (in 2019), that was probably the most difficult point where I wasn't enjoying what I was doing. I was questioning everything.

"There was a moment where I did think: 'Should I give in?' 'Should I continue?'
“It was because of my kids really because I couldn't do anything with them. I was spending more time on crutches and I wasn't myself. And I thought, longer term, is it going to be better for me?

“But I had good conversations with certain people, Brendan, the physio Dave Rennie, who's been amazing, the psychologist. We just went through different scenarios and something clicked. I woke up one morning and my pain wasn't as bad.

“Maybe I relaxed and a new manager gave me a bit of belief that I could prove to him that I could get back to a level. It was a weird situation but one that has made me stronger."

Glad to see he's doing well for them!

Not surprising though, other than the fact that he's actually fit to play.

He's always looked good for us when he's gotten into the team. Just such a shame the injuries he's had.

I'm going to throw out the most used Matty James cliche beyond "injured again" - but it's easy to forget he was in our starting lineup for most of the Great Escape season, was ahead of Drinkwater and was playing very well alongside Cambiasso.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757