Measuring success

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flabby Owl

So, what's a good season from here on in? Would we prefer Top 4 to Top 6 and winning the FA Cup? Are we going to mount a title challenge? Does the Europa League just represent the dying embers of a dreamt-of European trip for fans that fades with every additional COVID case, or can we realistically win it whilst fulfilling our more pressing priorities?

Personally, in any other year I'd take the FA Cup and Top 6 over Top 4, with the days out to Wembley, etc.. However, this year I think going (b)all-out for Champions League football next year has to be the priority, at the expense of a trophy we could only savour remotely. I don't consider winning the EL a strong enough alternative to a Top 4 finish to prioritise it.

So, what's a good season from here on in? Would we prefer Top 4 to Top 6 and winning the FA Cup? Are we going to mount a title challenge? Does the Europa League just represent the dying embers of a dreamt-of European trip for fans that fades with every additional COVID case, or can we realistically win it whilst fulfilling our more pressing priorities?

Personally, in any other year I'd take the FA Cup and Top 6 over Top 4, with the days out to Wembley, etc.. However, this year I think going (b)all-out for Champions League football next year has to be the priority, at the expense of a trophy we could only savour remotely. I don't consider winning the EL a strong enough alternative to a Top 4 finish to prioritise it.
Doesn't the Europa League winner qualify for the Champions League next season? If so, it's definitely higher up the priority list than the FA Cup, for me.

Interesting, I don’t disagree, but I can’t really put into words why. Can you explain your thought process?
One slot for the winners, reliant on winning a number of 2-leg knockout ties against a selection of unknown or very powerful teams without the possibility of the home advantage boost we've seen in the past and with significant travel demands, versus a bit of consistency against relatively known quantities in the Premier League, and four chances to qualify.

Doesn't the Europa League winner qualify for the Champions League next season? If so, it's definitely higher up the priority list than the FA Cup, for me.
Plus we get to play in the FA cup every year but we won't always qualify for Europe. Not only would it help us attract better players more than an FA cup win would, but it would put us in a better position to go and finally win the FA cup at some point. Another factor to consider is that people would accuse us of only winning the FA cup because coronavirus has disrupted it a lot whereas I don't think people would be as likely to say that about the Europa League.

Obviously I'd snap your hand off for either though, we need to put that FA cup final record to bed!

Priorities for me are:

Top 4 finish
Europa League progress
FA Cup

I agree with Flabby Owl that a top 4 finish is more likely/controllable than winning the Europa League; cups can go against you in one moment. Plus I do think European competition could get hit even harder by growing COVID cases...

FA Cup is bottom of the list for me either way, but especially with no possible Wembley trip to enjoy.

Significant progress in the Europa League (e.g. reaching the semis/final) even if we don't win is also more likely to make an impact on our reputation and standing - for example, to attract new players. I think it would be a bigger statement of how far we've come to reach the final stages of the EL than it would the FA Cup.

In ordinary times I wouldn't say this, but I don't think we should treat any cup match too seriously because we could get hit with Covid cases at anytime and that will be the end of it.

The PL is the only thing that really matters. Top six is good, top four is excellent.

I would take too 6 and a trophy over top 4 and no trophy. Winning something will have a greater effect on the profile of the club and help us keep and attract players.

EL would be worth winning as it puts a trophy in the cabinet and gets us Champions league football.
Finishing in the top 4 would also be an achievement and would attract players to our club.
F. A cup would put a trophy in the cabinet and that's about it.

Depends on how you look at it but top of the Premier league and champions league football is where the money and global t.v audience is and that's what the late chairman had ambitions for Leicester to be at.
Having watched Leicester for over 30 years it's a nice change, but as a great day or weekend away with my mates they have always been in the lower leagues, the Premier league is a bit plastic with more corporate and holiday fans, but a Saturday playing Millwall in London is the opposite.

Last season when Fulham played Brentford in the championship we got the boat from Brentford it was a top day out.

Whatever we achieve this season and in future seasons I hope the club remembers its roots.

I would rather win the EL than anything else (other than winning the PL)

I think anyone who disagrees with me is a wanker.

Qualifying for Europe next season would be a success, for me. By default that means we’ve either done well in a cup or finished pretty high in the league. It would represent the third season out of six that we would be in Europe and that feeds the narrative that we’re a club going somewhere, which is ultimately what we’re trying to be.

Order is:

Win League
Win Europa Cup
Top Four
Win FA Cup

Unless we are allowed into Wembley - in which case FA Cup comes second

Number one fantasy - win the premier league again.
Number two fantasy - win the Europa.
Number three fantasy - finish in the top 4.
Number four fantasy - win the FA cup.
Number five fantasy - lap dancers for half time entertainment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757